Author Topic: Most potent beer  (Read 740 times)

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Most potent beer
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2006, 04:17:52 PM »
Spent 4 years in Germany... Man the beer there was awesome. Normally drank the Hefeweisens... nice dark and yeasty.

Came back to the US of A and bought a 12 pack of Michelob....drank the whole thing and bearly got a buzz...had no tast to it.

Mac

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
Most potent beer
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2006, 06:02:18 PM »
Originally posted by AWMac
Spent 4 years in Germany... Man the beer there was awesome. Normally drank the Hefeweisens... nice dark and yeasty.

Came back to the US of A and bought a 12 pack of Michelob....drank the whole thing and bearly got a buzz...had no tast to it.

Mac

LOL, 4 years, imagine you would have this all your live ;*)
Yesterday we had a big outdoor party here sponsored by the
company i work for, watching Fussball on beamer,
Germany vs. Poland. (we won 1:0 btw ;)
I was one of those who where running and playing Fussball
the whole time and didnt think about the Alkohol.
The game started 21:00h, but drinking started 19:00h
Only beer and a few Vodkas at past 1:00h
The result = /me dead today *lol*

anyway it was fun ;)
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Most potent beer
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2006, 08:16:16 AM »
Strong beers such as Baltika9 get you drunk fast but boy they taste bad. Sweetened sewage comes to mind..
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Neubob

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My Movie Clip Website
Most potent beer
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2006, 08:19:53 AM »
Vodka shots with beer chaser.

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
Most potent beer
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2006, 08:54:51 AM »
I was in Germany in the early 70's and there was a beer called Uberkinger Heil (or something very close to that) and it was red and smooth as silk.  It was 28.5% alcohol and with each six pack came a nice champaign glass with the inscription "Der strongest beir in der world".  It was great!  The dopple bock beer was 18.5% alcohol.  Even the imports we drink here are watered down.

All the Best...
Jay
awDoc1
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline dynamt

• Zinc Member
Most potent beer
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2006, 11:54:27 AM »
Anyone try "Brewmasters Select" or Michelob Celebrate" around the holidays. 11% and 9.5%. Anheuser Busch later toned down the Brewmaster Select to about 6.5% and had a good seasonal called "Bourbon Cask Ale". All good stuff.

Offline WhiteHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Most potent beer
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2006, 07:05:33 PM »
steer cleer of potato beer and corn beer.  The hangover happens before the drunk.

Offline gunnss

• Nickel Member
      • https://grantvillegazette.com/wp/lastname-firstname/evans-kevin-h/
Most potent beer
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2006, 02:32:07 AM »
When I was stationed in Peirmasens (R Palz) there was a beer called UBK40 that was reputedly 40%+ tasted like paint thinner though.....

On the other hand, I brew a 26.5% braggot every year, thats 53 proof....
tasts like pant thinner too, untill it ages for 6 months, then it's Gold.
Gunns
5,486 HP 110 MPH @500 tons
My other "ride"
http://nmslrhs.org/Photos/photos.php
Alt History, The butterfly made me do it.....
https://grantvillegazette.com/wp/lastname-firstname/evans-kevin-h/

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Re: Most potent beer
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2006, 09:41:30 AM »
Originally posted by ~Caligula~
I can tell u, 3 of these will get u pretty drunk.

Phhhffffffffffftttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttt! :rofl
Gurly mon. :)
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Most potent beer
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2006, 01:21:03 PM »
Originally posted by Neubob
Vodka shots with beer chaser.

Vodka without beer = wasted money.

Originally posted by gunnss
When I was stationed in Peirmasens (R Palz) there was a beer called UBK40 that was reputedly 40%+ tasted like paint thinner though.....

On the other hand, I brew a 26.5% braggot every year, thats 53 proof....
tasts like pant thinner too, untill it ages for 6 months, then it's Gold.
Gunns

We have a traditional "cocktail", called "yorsh" (ruff, a fish), beer+vodka, knocks you out almost immediately but gives horrible hangover, I always wanted to try exreme yorsh, alcohol-free beer plus pure 96% wine spirit %-]

Btw, what is "braggot"? Some fermented stuff that is used to make moonshine? In russian it's "braga". Making good braga is 90% of the moonshine quality.

Offline gunnss

• Nickel Member
Most potent beer
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2006, 03:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by Boroda

Btw, what is "braggot"? Some fermented stuff that is used to make moonshine? In russian it's "braga". Making good braga is 90% of the moonshine quality.

Braggot is one of the Half meads (Mead Honey wine) that is 1/2 malt, and 1/2 honey.  Also I use a Belgain Abby yeast that is very tolerant of A-hol, The taste is a lot like a normal "Nut Brown Ale" and so I allways bottle in very small bottles or controll the tap my self.  The other Half Mead is called "Payment" and is Half Grape juice and Half Honey, Ask the "JB's" I had some at the last "Con".....  (Evil Chuckle)

Gunns
My other "ride"

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Most potent beer
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2006, 07:42:52 AM »
Got a formula......errrrr......ummm mmm recipe you can PM me Gunns? :)
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline tapakeg

• Nickel Member
Most potent beer
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2006, 03:03:46 PM »
You can't get to 80 proof with beer, it would be then basically be a "whiskey" because you would have to distill it.

In fermentation, yeasts ( living organisisms) eat simple sugars to live, their byproduct of this is alcohol and Co2.  I don't know exactly, i think it is around 18% is the highest you can get by fermenting alone, then the alcohol produced becomes a poison to the yeast and kills them off.

Tap
You know that your landing gear is up and locked when it takes full power to taxi to the terminal

Offline gunnss

• Nickel Member
Most potent beer
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2006, 07:08:27 PM »
(Grin)

I think the UBK stuff was blended...

But the Mead yeast we use is called Vikera (sp?) mead yeast, and is tolerent to 32% AbV it is genrally avaible at a good brew store.

The Recipe for Braggot, (7gal Batch)

Is 4 lb honey, (note: the honey affects final taste, clover different from orange blossom differnt from rye, ect be creative) 4 lb powered malt, (I use a amber malt for the color) 1/2 lb of crystal malt crushed (I like partal mash method) A noble hop, Saaz or Hallertauer... about 2.5-4 oz. to taste. and Wyeast(tm) #1214 Belgen Abby yeast (tolerent to 25.5% AbV)

Make the Wort/Must as follows  Put the honey in 2 gals of water (the softer the better, but hard is ok, just will change the tase some) bring the mix to a simmer, not a boil, as it simmers white goo will foam to the top, skim this off, it is Albunin (sp?) kinda like egg whites, and will bitter the taste, if the goo starts to change color to more than yellow, (brown is too much) you are too hot, let the mix cool some.  Once you are not getting more goo, add the powered malt, slowly so it dosen't clump, raise the temp to a rolling boil, watch out for foam, (if it foams pull the pot off the heat, and back off the fire) add 1/3 of you hops at the start of the boil, (thiese are for bittering), 1/3 after 15 mikes, (for flavor) and the last third in the last 5 mikes. (for Aroma)  At the same time in another pot simmer your crystal malt till you get a good malt Soup, this will add the protiens and body to your mix, add the malt soup at the same time as the last third of the hops, Discard the mush, (I bake mine in to muffins)

By now you should have 3-3.5 gals of boiling fluid,  Sanitize your fermenter, and add 2 or so gallons of water to it, then pour your boiling mix in to the fermenter,.  NOTE! pouring stickey goop on your feet/legs is BADDD! (been there, done that)  Now add water to the fermenter untill is is full to the fermenting line (in my jars that is where the curve starts), cover the opening with a top or cup that has been sanatized, and let it cool. Stiring before covering it is ok.

Now prepare you yeast and add it when the mix temp is below 70 Deg. (any hotter can kill the yeast)

Let it ferment kegg or bottle as normal, and age it at least 3 months, this lets the Keytones and stuff break down and mellows the flavor.

Note I am assuming you have some experiance with homebrewing, if not we can start a thread about that.

Now I need to get busy brewing for World Con in LA in Aug.  Gotta get some of the "Space Oil" done for the Space Cadets.

Gunns
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 07:12:26 PM by gunnss »
My other "ride"