Author Topic: Most potent beer  (Read 775 times)

Offline ~Caligula~

• Nickel Member
Most potent beer
« on: June 15, 2006, 07:41:03 AM »
There`s many new russian immigrants in this country. They brought their culture with them...that includes food and drinks.
Other than some pretty good vodka, I got to know Baltika beer. IMHO this is the most dangerous drink ever made. They have different beers in their product line,  labelled by numbers from 0-9, 0 being the alcohol free beer and 9 is the strongest. 8% alcohol, and it tastes like a regular lager!!

I can tell u, 3 of these will get u pretty drunk.BTW it`s sold here in 0.5 liter bottles. Just yesterday I saw it in 1.5 liter bottle. SCARY:O

I`m sure Boroda knows well what I`m talking about

Offline expat

• Silver Member
Most potent beer
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 07:50:06 AM »
hmm sounds good , for the ultimate effect mix with a bottle of K(cyder) 9.4% for a nice pint of snakebite .....:)
goggles on ,chocks away, last one backs a homo  hooraaaaaaaaay!

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Most potent beer
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 08:32:09 AM »
maybe a year ago there was an 80 proof or so beer posted here. it was some limited edition whatever IIRC
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Most potent beer
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 10:59:29 AM »
The Belgian bier "Duvel" is 8.5%, and is readily available in shops/bars. My favourite Euro pub - the Grimbergen, located at the foot of Antwerp cathedral - has a menu of beers, and the alcohol content is shown for each beer. There are many stronger than Duvel, and the strongest was about 12.5%!

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
Most potent beer
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 11:56:36 AM »
Even Bud Ice is 8-8.5%

If you call that beer...

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Most potent beer
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 12:33:32 PM »
AAAA Baltika number nine! It's nothing but a bottled headache!

And it's not a strongest beer here, we had imported "Amsterdam Navigator" that was 11% alcohol by volume, and "Amsterdam Maximator" that was 13% ABV.

My favourite strong beer here is P.I.T. Strong, Arsenal Strong from Tula and Yarpivo Strong from Yaroslavl. At least they don't give you headache right when you drink them. They all are 7.0-7.8% ABV. We also have other kinds of strong, like Okhota, 8.6% made by Heineken (!!!) that I can't drink one bottle in 60 minutes from work to home in a subway. I don't drink Baltika number 9 for maybe 6 years, drank it daily since it appeared, it was in 1998 when improted beer became too expensive... Or maybe it was availible before 98? Maybe it was, I remember travelling from lake Seliger to Tver on a bus and then to Msk by electric train, it was in 1998, and IIRC I had 5 or 6 such 0.5L bottles in 6 hours.

The best imported strong beers we had here were Super-Skol (9.6% IIRC) and Monarch beers (up to 10%).

Several months ago I understood that my 3 daily bottles of strong equal in alcohol to 300ml of vodka, and seriously decreased alcohol consumption, at least I almost don't drink on weekdays now.

Indy007, 8.5% must be "beer density", the lightest beer they sell here is 10%. It doesn't have anything to do with alcohol percentage, it's more like calories you get with beer.

Offline mora

• Gold Member
Most potent beer
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 12:43:17 PM »
Most "Ice" beers in the US are between 5% and 7% I believe. Bud Ice might be around 6%. Why the hell they don't always print alcohol content in the US? Bought a case of Milwaukee's Best Ice just because it was the only beer with printed alcohol content (5.9%), it was horrendous.

Offline Paxil

• Copper Member
      • http://marathontoathens.blogspot.com
Most potent beer
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 01:19:46 PM »
A local microbrewery here (one of many) has a beer called Fred which is 10% abv. Good stuff... in small quantities. =)

http://www.hairofthedog.com/beers.html

Offline Banzzai

• Copper Member
Most potent beer
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 02:11:09 PM »
Grolsch Cannon

11.6%

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Most potent beer
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 02:18:56 PM »
So, uh, whatever happened to Flakpanzer Oil...? ;)
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline weaselsan

• Silver Member
Most potent beer
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 03:35:56 PM »
Originally posted by mora
Most "Ice" beers in the US are between 5% and 7% I believe. Bud Ice might be around 6%. Why the hell they don't always print alcohol content in the US? Bought a case of Milwaukee's Best Ice just because it was the only beer with printed alcohol content (5.9%), it was horrendous.

It's a dirty little secret. American Brewers intentionally brew their beer to be as weak as pi**. They want you to drink a lot and stay sober. It's not in their interests to get you hammered, especially with the DUI laws as strict as they are.

An example is the State of Ohio. The State had a drinking age law when I was growing up that allowed anyone 18 to 21 to drink beer that had an acoholic content of 3.2% or less. Anyone 21 or over could drink 6% alcohol by volume. The law stated could not exceed 3.2% alcohol by volume, and could not exceed 6% alcohol by volume.

A news station decided to check the beer for alcohol content as part of a story they where doing years after the law had been in effect. When they checked the 3.2, sure nuff it was legal 3.1%, when they checked the 6% it was legal too, 3.1%. "Whaaat gives here" they said, this is supposed to be 6%. Nope, the law states cannot exceed 6% , it doesn't. For twenty five years everyone was drinking the same 3.2%. I think it was Stroh's but not sure.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 03:43:57 PM by weaselsan »

Offline DoctorYO

• Nickel Member
Most potent beer
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 03:38:38 PM »
Plenty of brews in the US are higher than 6% but due to the chimpanzee labeling system in america anything over a certain percentage of alcohol content is called Malt Liquor...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malt_liquor

And yes I must concur with Beetle..   Duvel and many other belgian brews will run you under the table..   Not only that but becuase they brew their beer in traditional methods you don't get crushed by the hangover as long as you hydrate before you go to bed..

Some of these other brews (brand X in my best Batman Joker Voice) add corn and other BS to up the content thru sugar fermentation..   unless you have genetic or tolerance resistence to fermented corn that BS gives you a hangover...

IMO any of the belgian brews are superior to anthing comming from the baltics.. but thats my preference..

but then again its the eye of the beholder..

Some think colt 45 and schafer are good brewing...  Ill take a Maarsten brew (low grade high production, hollandia/bavaria) over any An/Busch product on the market... why you ask...??  acid in the beer is why... their process is BS..  and hence BS product comming from A/B

Craving a Chimay Red right now... (the nonfiltered kind)(and better have the glass to match it... or its poser...)

DoctorYo

Offline weaselsan

• Silver Member
Most potent beer
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 03:52:41 PM »
Originally posted by DoctorYO
Plenty of brews in the US are higher than 6% but due to the chimpanzee labeling system in america anything over a certain percentage of alcohol content is called Malt Liquor...

You would be hard pressed to find any brews in the US to exceed 6% by volume, for the simple reason that any thing that exceeds 6% cannot be called beer. While they do allow some malt liquors you are getting close to the liquor catagory and a large TAX kicks in.

Offline Dace

• Silver Member
Most potent beer
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2006, 03:53:14 PM »
Originally posted by mora

THE "BEAST":lol

Jezuz is it horrendous:huh <---bitter beer face

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
Most potent beer
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2006, 04:03:29 PM »
My family loves teh Milwaukee's Best Light, they drink it by the 24 pack:aok

Like true alcoholics, they don't care, as long as it says "beer" and tastes like piss.
Who are you to wave your finger?