Author Topic: XP pro or Home??  (Read 514 times)

Offline [Sg]ShotGun

• Zinc Member
XP pro or Home??
« on: June 09, 2006, 10:21:59 PM »
my version of Pro is 4 yrs now and its what I use for reinstalls...think iv reloaded it like 6 times now on dfferent comps and drives.

but is pro good for AH or it dont matter?

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
XP pro or Home??
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 04:38:58 AM »
i got xphome i got it about 6 mnths ago  upgraded from ME.
ince  abot  a month ago since he b17s  arried  i had nothing but problems with it
so in my view  xphome  sucs
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
XP pro or Home??
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 07:13:40 AM »
Rogerdee - upgrading any version of Windows generally gives you problems, if you ever get a chance try this method.

1) Start with a clean drive.
2) Fire up the machine with the XP CD in.
3) At some point it will ask you for a qualifying product.
4) Put in the Me CD
5) It reads a few files then asks you to put the XP CD back in.

This way no part of Windows Me gets installed.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
XP pro or Home??
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 07:49:22 AM »
Shotgun no significant difference between them for AH.

Pro has better networking support which could be a small plus.

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
XP pro or Home??
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 10:47:50 AM »
I have XP Home upgraded since Win 3.1.  I have no problems with it.  On a clean install, you will need to have a Win 98, or ME disk to pop in when it asks.  

Better yet, I like to buy a  new drive when I do a clean install.  This way it makes it easy to transfer all the files without forgeting something.  If XP can see the old install on the other drive, you will not need to insert the ME disk.

In my opinion, XP Home is all you need with small home networks.  I use XP Pro at work, and I have XP Home on a 3 PC home network.  From a users view, there is no difference.  Unless your a network control freak, Home works just fine and will save you a few bucks.

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
XP pro or Home??
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 03:31:37 PM »
I have home & pro too, I use home on my new game P/C & it runs AH just fine, no different than the pro does.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
XP pro or Home??
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 03:50:08 PM »
XP Home allows only 5 machines to be connected on the same network. My family has 5 PCs plus a win98 print station, plus a laptop. Pro seems to have a few benefits. At the time I picked Pro I didn't realize what the difference was. Now I'm happy I made the choice.

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
XP pro or Home??
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 05:44:45 PM »
Krusty,

How does XP Home limit the network to 5 PCs?  The number of PCs on a network is a function of a router or hub/switch, not the PC operating system.

I think the major difference is in advanced file sharing (ex. more ways to limit folders and files from others on your network) and connecting to network domains.  There are others but nothing you need for a home network.  

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

If any user on my system violates any network rules in my house, I can spin my chair around and smack them along side the head.  Let's see XP Pro do that :)

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
XP pro or Home??
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 06:07:45 PM »
Gunner I don't know the specifics. That's Windows' description of what it does, not mine :) "Up to 5" computers networked together listed on the box. XP does not list a limit.

Maybe they don't recognize each other after that? Not sure. As-is my home network is mixed Pro/Home combination, we go through a port, and we have no problems (that is, as long as the port has DHCP, or whatever the protocol is that assigns subnet masks)

Offline Stone

• Nickel Member
XP pro or Home??
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2006, 02:29:41 AM »
XP home networking difference is that you can not join a domain or active directory with it. Has nothing to do how you can play games or anything like that.

Also XP pro has built in encryption of files, and IIS web server.

There is no difference how you can play games so if you got PRO use it.

If you want a new system, you can save a few dollars with HOME.

Offline [Sg]ShotGun

• Zinc Member
XP pro or Home??
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2006, 01:00:53 PM »
well my version of xp pro is 2002, and iv tried to install it now on me nu 160g sata drive and it stops ded with an error of  'machine exception' or sumting like that...so im gonna bite the bullit and buy xp home..the only prob is that i dont have 98 or me.

does this me xphome is no go for me?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
XP pro or Home??
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2006, 01:45:54 PM »
Well if you don't hae 98 or ME and you want to buy an upgrade, you MIGHT be able to install the XP home upgrade, and when it asks for a qualified product insert the XP Pro CD, and then it might let you.

I'd say if you already have XP Pro find out what's causing this error and work around it. It's a perfectly valid product, and if XP Pro gives you an error XP Home might as well.

Offline Stone

• Nickel Member
XP pro or Home??
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2006, 02:22:43 PM »
If you have the pro, it will install, but maybe it will not install on the file system that ME uses, without formating.

If that is the case, XP home will not install either.

I recall that XP stoped support for some file system. Maybe FAT or FAT32, and that would be your problem right there.

BUT I would never install on an old operating system, I would do a clean isntall on that drive.

That is in the install options, remove the old partition and create an new one. Then format.

This will destroy all data and XP should install fine.

But you have to backup first, because this will destroy all the data, pictures, documents what have you.

Did I mention that you will loose all your data if you do this?

So backup any data you realy need, and then destroy the pratition using the on screen instructions.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
XP pro or Home??
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2006, 02:27:04 PM »
XP stopped support for FAT16. Fat32 is default, and it supports NTFS.

Offline Stone

• Nickel Member
XP pro or Home??
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2006, 02:30:18 PM »
Is fat16 = fat?

btw, I am totaly confuced about this thread now lol

Does SATA need a driver disk for hardisk when installing?

Or maybe its just if one had SATA with RAID ?