Author Topic: Major SPYWARE PROBLEM!  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
Major SPYWARE PROBLEM!
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2006, 04:06:27 PM »
Ditto on Spyware Doctor.  I'm almost computer illiterate, but I stumbled on this.  I'm impressed.  There are updates just about daily.   I haven't had spyware since.
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
Major SPYWARE PROBLEM!
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2006, 04:33:19 PM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
Meh Windows Defender doesn't get rated that well in antispyware. Theres stuff out there that 'browser agnostic' now. So it doesn't matter if you run IE or Firefox or Mozilla you'll pick stuff up.

I use a combo of McAfee Managed AV with Antispyware and gateway AV/Antispyware on my firewall (yup its a Sonicwall). McAfee's not #1 in antispyware (iiirc BitDefender ranks #1) but its in top the top 5 - any of that freeware scanning stuff ranks extremely low.

McAfee sucks imo. I used to sell it 'til several years ago they started releasing updates that caused PC booting problems or false positives that wreaked havoc. That and I see a lot of virus infected computers running the McAfee Security Center. Nothing is perfect in this regard though, no argument there.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Major SPYWARE PROBLEM!
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2006, 05:00:23 PM »
Defender, Spybot and others came up empty

Tried the demo version of that PC Tools one.  Said I had 146 items...yet...wanted money to do more.

Pass.

Offline x0847Marine

• Silver Member
Major SPYWARE PROBLEM!
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2006, 06:02:11 PM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
BTW, "tracking cookies" have nothing to do with you getting infected with spyware.

If the infection is bad, you're probably going to have to nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Oh, and drop the IE habit on your new OS install and use Firefox exclusively.

Word on Firefox and nuke and pave... look into slipstreaming, you can create an XP install CD with all your drivers and updates that will all install the 1st time, no fuss. Slipstreaming can make a nuke & pave a lot less painless than trying to piece together a broken Windows.

Heres a decent slipstream info page:
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

If youre on broadband, putting yourself behind a hardware firewall, like a router, can help too.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Major SPYWARE PROBLEM!
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2006, 08:04:41 PM »
Get a 20" iMac. :eek:

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Major SPYWARE PROBLEM!
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2006, 08:48:56 PM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
Theres stuff out there that 'browser agnostic' now. So it doesn't matter if you run IE or Firefox or Mozilla you'll pick stuff up.
Give an example, please.

Running IE, there are plenty of ways that spyware can get into your system without you doing anything but visiting a website.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Major SPYWARE PROBLEM!
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2006, 11:14:19 PM »
I'd like to see an example of an infection passively introduced through an up-to-date, scripting-disabled Firefox browser. Not saying there isn't, just like to know what they are.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Major SPYWARE PROBLEM!
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2006, 12:14:08 AM »
Hell, even with scripting enabled.  IE has ActiveX, a feature that has bought pools and boats for CEOs of many security companies.  Firefox has...  just javascript, whos greatest offense has been to make some popup advertisements 'buzz' their window to get your attention.  Hardly the 'hive of scum and villainy' that IE+ActiveX embodies.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Major SPYWARE PROBLEM!
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2006, 12:19:31 AM »
If your problem is really that bad.....consider wiping your hard drive and starting over. I had huge issues at one point as well, was just easier and faster to wipe the drive and reinstall windows.

I had someone helping me out at the time as well. (Thanks again Silat)
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Seraphim

• Nickel Member
Major SPYWARE PROBLEM!
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2006, 12:25:12 AM »
Simple solution....It's been said, use firefox & not IE. I use Kaspersky Anti-virus, it's been the best. It even will catch a program trying to copy hidden programs somewhere else (i.e., spyware), also blocks registry changes unless you let it.

Edit: P.S. with these two programs, I've never  had to use anything else, like ad-aware or whatever anti spyware blocking prgram anyone uses.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 12:35:53 AM by Seraphim »

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
Major SPYWARE PROBLEM!
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2006, 12:29:16 AM »
iirc coolweb is the hardest one to get rid of in that bunch & CWshredder will get it.

Really, adaware & spybot s&d with spyware blaster will keep you clean; & they're all free. Spyware doctor may rock too but I never tried it.

Beware of the free online scanners of pay products, they lie to get you thinking they are doing something.

For instance; I downloaded a free trial of PC-Cillian once, the danged thing was telling me it stopped  several viruses everyday! I'm sorry, but there aren't that many viruses going around that I'm going to be attacked 20 or 30 times a day. I got NOD32 & it has only had to block one in 6 months...from a link someone provided in these forums too b.t.w. lol

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Major SPYWARE PROBLEM!
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2006, 12:40:45 AM »
I haven't installed any spyware protection on my laptop since I replaced the hard drive 5 months ago.  Firefox only, plenty of browsing.

No spyware.

I'm paranoid, I know where spyware lives, and it hasn't moved in.  Basic safe habits and being behind a router seem to be pretty darn effective.  It's not for everyone, but it works for me.

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
Major SPYWARE PROBLEM!
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2006, 01:46:37 AM »
Okay...Now I am starting to get worried...I have completed 9 out of the 10 steps from the tweekxp, hijack this thread...Used spybot, AAW, CWshredder ect....only step left is the MS service pack, and I still have the same spyware popping up....

******WARNING...PLEASE DO NOT CLICK ANY OF THESE LINKS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING....THESE LINKS ARE THE ADDRESS's OF PAGES THAT KEEP POPPING UP, AND THE MESSAGES I AM GETTING...I DONT WANT TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR INFECTING ANYONES COMPUTER SO PLEASE BE AWARE THIS IS ONLY BEING POSTED TO PROVIDE INFORMATION FOR ANYONE WHO FEELS THEY MAY BE ABLE TO HELP*******

http://forum.tweakxp.com/forum/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=28&MessageID=134799&TopicPage=1&RateVal=5

"warning!  Virus infection (dailytoolbar.dll)
Danger:  possible virus or spyware infection - dailytoolbar.dll!

C:/Windows/System32/dailytoolbar.dell

::::::::  http://antispywarebox.com/  ::::::::::::: # 2

#3 popup
***Alert! you are receiving spam!
System scan is highly recommended by windows security center (doesnt look like anything MS Windows XP would officially pop up...)
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
Major SPYWARE PROBLEM!
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2006, 02:05:01 AM »
Forget to mention but worth noting that once this popups begin when I open "Task Manager", the "processes" that are open get a greay color and are blocked or unable to be messed with
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Major SPYWARE PROBLEM!
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2006, 02:17:45 AM »
Seriously Cav, I would just wipe the drive and start over. Sounds like you have some serious spyware issues. Alot less headaches to just start over and make sure you are protected this time. Thats just me though. :)
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.