Author Topic: Major SPYWARE PROBLEM!  (Read 1081 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Major SPYWARE PROBLEM!
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2006, 02:47:41 AM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
Hell, even with scripting enabled.  IE has ActiveX, a feature that has bought pools and boats for CEOs of many security companies.  Firefox has...  just javascript, whos greatest offense has been to make some popup advertisements 'buzz' their window to get your attention.  Hardly the 'hive of scum and villainy' that IE+ActiveX embodies.

Apparently there are some java nasties floating around right now. But you're right to an extent, certainly not a webfull of activex nasties. Still as firefox's profile rises it is being targeted more, just look at the flaws being found in firefox (on cert.org etc). People are having a crack at it.

The other problem is that sometimes you need IE, I use plenty of websites which must have IE (activex plugins etc). So you're back into the old mac style debate, is a user with no hardened antispyware using firefox better off than a user with IE and hardened antispyware given that user may one day have to use IE?

As has been said, browsing habits also play a big roll. BUT I would warn that more and more corporate websites are being targeted to plant spyware hooks Just look at zone-h.org to see the numbers of exploited servers every day.

Maybe I sound paranoid, but I often help some of our larger clients manage their firewall solutions and I see the activity logs of some medium-big sites, and 90% of users are browsing safely. Its the 10% that flicks the paranoid switch - and usually they don't even know it.

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
Major SPYWARE PROBLEM!
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2006, 03:27:14 AM »
wow...well....IT WORKED! haha!  I installed the service pack, and have had zero popups or task manager issues for about 2 hours now!  Thank God because wiping out my drives was not an option....I have all of my windows XP cd's, but none of my wireless router software, nor any of my video card software....pheew...

I just labeled Internet explorer "DO NOT fluff'n USE" and downloaded mozilla....

thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it....

I am going with Spybot Search and Destroy as my new antispyare because the lavasoft ad aware SE was not able to prevent this problem.....

thanks again

a big

cav
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Major SPYWARE PROBLEM!
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2006, 07:06:25 AM »
Originally posted by cav58d
This Crap is such BS....I dont understand how this can be legal...I dont see how their spyware does any good for their company, because as soon as I get a spyware popup, i vow to NEVER use that company.....ever!

Thanks for the help everyone...I've got to go to my cousins baseball game, and when I get home I will give it a shot....ill reply with results
Disable ActiveX in the Security tab of the Internet Options (under the Internet domain, and reset the others to thier security defaults).  While most will tell you to use FireFox, it does not solve all your potential ills, as the Internet Options apply to other programs as well.  ActiveX is the primary delivery mechanism for Spyware/Malware and if you leave it enabled, you are also acknowledging it is ok to plant said software into your computer.
The primary reason FireFox is safer is due to no support for ActiveX.

At least, that has been the argument which has kept Congress at bay.  Why?  Because they are idiots.

I got rid of Adaware and all the other tools for clearing/blocking spyware and have not had an issue at all in the last 4 years.  But I also disable Java and java script, then insert sites I trust in the Trusted domain.

EDIT:  And Vulcan is quite right.  There are corporations who run infexted servers and do not even know it.  I have caught a couple of them and notified the webmasters about it.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 07:14:30 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
Major SPYWARE PROBLEM!
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2006, 03:03:22 PM »
Thanks Skuzz...I disabled active X and set everything else to defaults as a precaution, but I will not be opening IE Explorer ever again....

Would you guys recommend Spyboy Search and Destroy to be my main antispyware program or should I look into others

thanks again

cav
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
Major SPYWARE PROBLEM!
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2006, 03:23:56 PM »
That's fine cav (until you want to make use of MS's update page).  For the rest of you, you should disabled ActiveX in the "Internet Options", as anything that uses 'explorer.exe' (and there are quite a few programs which do) uses those security settings.

I've never had a problem with IE myself, but then I do not use the default settings for it either.  Makes it easier than jumping back and forth between two browsers.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Major SPYWARE PROBLEM!
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2006, 03:56:15 PM »
I've had to use IE _once_ in the last 6 months.  The benefits farrrrrr outweigh the once or twice a year inconvenience of switching browsers.  That one time was Windows Update on a system that hadn't been patched to the latest service pack, every other update is d/l'd automatically.

Even when I worked at Symantec, by late 2005 I rarely had to use IE even for the most wonky internal websites.

Skuzzy, times, they are a changin'.  Firefox has been improving steadilly, can't say the same for IE.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Major SPYWARE PROBLEM!
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2006, 04:34:42 PM »
I refuse cookies except when absolutely necessary at a trusted site. I also have active-x controls locked out (prompt) on my system. I use IE and have had clean scans using adaware, search and destroy and yahoo's own spyware checker for months.

I absolutely hate cookies and spyware. I decide what goes on my system and it's for my uses only, not for some hugahunk to spam me or track where I've gone.

I used firefox for Ogame and tried to browse with it. It's ok but not as good a presentation as IE IMO.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
Major SPYWARE PROBLEM!
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2006, 04:39:46 PM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
I've had to use IE _once_ in the last 6 months.  The benefits farrrrrr outweigh the once or twice a year inconvenience of switching browsers.  That one time was Windows Update on a system that hadn't been patched to the latest service pack, every other update is d/l'd automatically.

Even when I worked at Symantec, by late 2005 I rarely had to use IE even for the most wonky internal websites.

Skuzzy, times, they are a changin'.  Firefox has been improving steadilly, can't say the same for IE.
I see no benefits to FireFox.  I have it on my work system to test with, and really do not find it any better or worse than IE.  Overall I find FireFox to be more irritating to keep updated.

I never allow the auto-updater to run.  That's not really a good idea.  And MS releases security updates once a month.  There there are those dang corporate sites which only work with IE (clueless dolts).

Anyway, like I said, I see not benefit to switching and for me it would be a pain in the tush.  All the years I have been on the net, I have never had a virus or spyware/malware issue.  I test various programs so I can make decent recommendations to people, but other than that I never use spyware scanners/blockers, anti-virus programs, firewalls, or utilites along those lines.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 04:43:22 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline WhiteHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Major SPYWARE PROBLEM!
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2006, 04:58:20 PM »
Originally posted by cav58d
Thanks Skuzz...I disabled active X and set everything else to defaults as a precaution, but I will not be opening IE Explorer ever again....

Would you guys recommend Spyboy Search and Destroy to be my main antispyware program or should I look into others

thanks again

cav

i Use both spybot and ad aware, they both catch ones that the other does not, so use them both at the same timeor back to back and cover more bases.  Firefox reduces the number of cookies, spyware etc., but anytime you venture out of the box, you are gonna get hammered.  You need, antivirus and firewall running also.  Im just about ready to pull the damm plug out of the wall so i can get back my damm computer, i cant do anything with it now except run antispyware antivirus and download the updates for them:furious

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
Major SPYWARE PROBLEM!
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2006, 05:46:53 PM »
Spybot S&D & AdawareSE are just scanners...not spyware blocker programs. You can D/L the free version of Spyware Blaster for that, it is a blocking program & it updates fairly frequently. I use all three of these as my primary antispyware defense, I am behind multiple firewalls & have two or three more spyware scanners bundled with other progs. & I have never had a problem.

Oh, windows defender is also a blocker program & scanner, but I chose Spyware Blaster instead.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Major SPYWARE PROBLEM!
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2006, 06:05:53 PM »
Since I have only a 35 IQ, I have always disabled ActiveX (except for MS as a trusted site for patches) just like Skuzzy has said. I'm not smart and clever enough to pay for, or download, or run multiple anti-spyware, anti-virus, anti-anti-spyvirus malware anti-anti ware on alternate Thursdays except for months with 31 days.

I've never had a problem. ;)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
Major SPYWARE PROBLEM!
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2006, 04:15:59 PM »
I have never understood why people would rather load up thier computer with all  types of programs which effect the performance of the system, instead of attacking the source of the problem.

You can only put on so many bandaids before you look and move like a mummy.

By the way, there are currently 6 unaddressed security problems with FireFox.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Major SPYWARE PROBLEM!
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2006, 04:44:06 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Can you name any security problems Firefox has had that have resulted in widespread data loss/spyware installs/breaches?  Because if we can set aside a few hours, I can start listing 'em off for Internet Explorer.

Don't bring a knife to a gunfight, IE is really really double plus ungood from a security standpoint compared to Firefox.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Major SPYWARE PROBLEM!
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2006, 08:12:01 PM »
And I was within my deepest thought upon the Mount of Grapevine when the Skuzzth transcended from the Mount carrying Tablets, and I was soak with tears, for it was Tylenol and he took both from his rightous hand and said upon the Masses...

"Ye with Puters and yet suffer from the Domains of Hell follow upon to me to the Proper Thread within what I provide you... verily, verily unto those of woe and seekth the desire to be thy free of his Virus... I will speakth my words once, twice and yet three times unto thine deaf ears, written before your blindeth eyes.

For upon the threads are writen, Ye that haveth thy Puter Maladys must first come forth to the sticky calleth "Thy Hintist and Tips"

For ye to cometh unto me must seekth thy thread calleth Thine "Intrardnet Connecteth Hints/Tipths"  Seeketh hep and you may find it within the Shrine of the "Kickedth Plug"

For I may come as a bandwith at the darkest hour and cause you to seekth thy techeth help no longer.

For I am the Techeth, thy Geeketh and thy Skuzzeth...ahem

*dam hope I don't go to hell for this and if I do how's the bandwith there Skuzz?*

With All Forgiveness,

Mac
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 08:22:28 PM by AWMac »

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Major SPYWARE PROBLEM!
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2006, 09:19:04 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy

with all due respect. And untill this very day IE had 21

Well. they Fixed 21 of em anyway
http://news.com.com/Microsoft+plugs+21+security+holes/2100-1002_3-6083424.html
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty