Author Topic: Operation Downfall  (Read 6954 times)

Offline RSLQK186

• Silver Member
Operation Downfall
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2006, 09:30:22 AM »
Reynolds, 1: not yet, 2: yes but bringing friends is better, 3: TBA and 4:Not as simple as 1,2 and 3.

Go offline and from clipboard- left click Options>Arena Setup>Environment>Arena Settings. Scroll down to FlightModeFlags and double click on it.

Change the Auto Calibrate Bombsight to un Xed and click OK.

You can also select the Precision Bombsight at the same time. This will give you a green crosshair that will show you where your bombs will fall. Use it to check how well you calibrated. Once you get it down, turn it off and practice without it.

The difference between the "old" bombsight and the no-brainer is you must track an point on the ground with your cross hairs for few seconds(3 minimum, 9 better) while holding Y. You also must be at the same alt and speed you will be droping at(or be good at "windage", adjusting you drop to allow for a small change in alt and/or speed).

The other difference is you must Shift + Left click on the intended target on the map while in calibration mode(after the first U is pressed). The bombsight does not follow changes in terrein elevations like in the MA.

If you taget is at sea level you can do all this out at sea. Even click on water to set target alt. But all bombers gain alt and speed for a long time at full thottle even in auto level, so you need to either reduce power to maintain alt and speed(settings depend on the bomber) or wait till you are on final to calibrate(best).

But the target alt select can be done as soon as you level for speed. If you do it while you are climbing it will throw you into auto level. When you level off, just go to F6, hit U and shift+left click on target and hit U again. One less thing to worry about on final aproach.

I know it sound complex, but a lot of us old hands got good at it and it more closely resembles the way it was really done back then. I find the new way distastful and without reward.
Hacksaw- THE UNFORGIVEN
Founder- Special events contingent
"I'm very very sneaky"

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Operation Downfall
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2006, 09:58:46 AM »
thx Hacksaw good right up .

remember its harder to get the eggs "in the pickle barrel" at 20k this way .
at the lower 10k alt  its really easy ... we also expect to see Kamakazi runs also  
(this will not be frowned on because it was part of Japans plans on stopping the Allied Fleets)  you have unlimited planes /lives and deaths do not count in this Scenario .
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Reynolds

• Gold Member
      • http://flyingknights.csmsites.com
Operation Downfall
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2006, 01:05:26 PM »
Thanks!

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Operation Downfall
« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2006, 02:48:08 AM »
It is looking like bombing mode will be the same as in the main arena (i.e., the so called "easy mode") for numerous reasons that have been gone over in the past.  However, there will likely be a 5 mph wind, which makes a big difference in bombing.

See the rules set here for the most up-to-date information on settings.  Note that settings are filled in quite yet, but they will be soon:

http://ahevents.org/site/images/stories/scenarios_images/200607_Downfall/downfallRules.html

Offline Hawco

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Operation Downfall
« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2006, 10:35:02 AM »
I'm sure I read somehwere that there would be some RN carriers involved?
But when you read through the Task groups and ship names, it seems to be all the US and no RN.
Just curious
Cheers Hawco

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Operation Downfall
« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2006, 11:15:30 AM »
Originally posted by Hawco
I'm sure I read somehwere that there would be some RN carriers involved?
But when you read through the Task groups and ship names, it seems to be all the US and no RN.
Just curious
Cheers Hawco

Might have to bribe em with a few cases of rum Hawco.:aok

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV