Author Topic: Wow.... i wish it wasnt true  (Read 1346 times)

Offline bkbandit

• Nickel Member
Wow.... i wish it wasnt true
« on: June 11, 2006, 07:32:48 PM »
I seen the new simpsons episode today and it made me think, is anything built here in america anymore.  In the episode mr burns moves the plant to india and sends homer to run the plant(its a funny episode, i just wish there werent so many political messages in it).  Alot of the major companys build there factorys overseas, caddillacs are built in japan.  Its sad that the nikes on my feet are made by some asia kid and my chevy is built in mexico.  What happen to american made.  The only thing i think we still make here r weapons(thank god).

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 07:34:32 PM »
Might as well thank the Wal-Mart mentality.
sand

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 07:36:14 PM »
Wal Mart mentality?  No, not at all.

It's the mentality that we don't want to pay rediculous prices for basic objects.

No one wants to pay 30 dollars for a plastic piece that could be sold for 2 if made somewhere else.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 07:46:21 PM »
Right... because anything other than Walmart prices are ridiculous.

Most people just want the lowest price possible. They don't think about the high cost of hiring someone in this country. They give absolutely no thought at supporting the local economy or the local merchants or the local labor.
sand

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 07:59:02 PM »
I would say you are overreacting to a cartoon. Manufacturing is still a significant part of the US economy. Factories have always moved to cheaper labor locations. They moved from the northeast and midwest to southern states years ago in search of more (or some) profit.

As long as people like you are willing to pay the price you paid for shoes that cost about $1 to produce, companies will continue to manufacture them anywhere.

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 08:01:23 PM »
You pay more in the long run if you buy cheap foreign-made junk because you'll have to replace it far more often.

My television set is going on 20 years old.  Most of my furniture is older than I am.  My desktop fan was made in the 1950's.  My good silverware was made in the 1920's.

I currently own ZERO appliances or pieces of furnature made between 1995 and 2005 (automobiles notwithstanding) because it was all imported crap that broke.   The only gaurantee that comes with the foreign crap made nowdays is the gaurantee you'll have to replace it in short order.  The last *new* desk chair I bought collapsed out from under me in less than a year due to poor-quality metal.  

J_A_B
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 08:05:11 PM by J_A_B »

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 08:03:40 PM »
"Most people just want the lowest price possible. They don't think about the high cost of hiring someone in this country. They give absolutely no thought at supporting the local economy or the local merchants or the local labor."

This is all a lie anyway.  As Rolex points out, Nike selling those $1 sweatshop shoes for $100 a pair sure as heck isn't passing on their savings to the consumers.

J_A_B

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006, 08:16:51 PM »
It's not just the consumers that are doing this to the price, it's the producers.

Anything manufactured in the US is made at extremely high costs due to taxes, restrictions, ecological conditions, wages, insurance...  The list goes on and on.  Not only would producers have to produce less, but they would have to sell it to an extreme cost to us.  

Of course, this is all layed out in any basic economics class.  Though, it might be much to expect most of you to understand basic economics, or even think through the problem.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
Re: Wow.... i wish it wasnt true
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 08:19:40 PM »
Originally posted by bkbandit
Its sad that the nikes on my feet are made by some asia kid and my chevy is built in mexico.

My Honda was (96%) made in Marysville, Ohio.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2006, 08:20:39 PM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184

Of course, this is all layed out in any basic economics class.  Though, it might be much to expect most of you to understand basic economics, or even think through the problem.

:huh
sand

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2006, 08:31:57 PM »

Dang..I wish I was as smart as I was when I was your age :)

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline bkbandit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2006, 08:34:04 PM »
toyota has factorys here, why cant we build r caddillacs here instead of japan.  And they get they build it for cheaper(much cheaper) but they dont pass the price to the customer(the prices go up).  I can imagine what the hell they will want for the new "korean" built camaro.  ANd still the big companys cut corners so there products end up fallin apart.  I have a friend that has a detail business and he gets the feel review on all the new cars.  WHen a new 300m rolls of the car lot and has tranny problems somethin is wrong.  The first couple of 1000 new corvettes head to be recalled because of a problems with the heads.  What the hell.  Why cant i get a great product that lasts for a good price.  Isnt that what "made in america" used to mean.

People need sneakers period.  Mines cost 60 dollars, im not one of these nuts that spend 300 dollars a pair(i noe guys like this).  The only shoe i paid for that more then 100 bucks(120 dollars) is my timberland boots.  I had them since 8th grade(im 20 now) and i still wear them.  I have been all over the east coast from blizzards to rain and in every type of situation u can be in.  That pair of boots was more like an investment rather then foot wear.

A honda built in the states, give me a break.  Camaros and firebirds werent even built here since there debute in 67, they were built in canada.  I got no problem with canada, but its an "american muscle car".
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 08:37:55 PM by bkbandit »

Offline tikky

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2006, 08:48:38 PM »
The SIMPSONS anime is not even made/drawn in America... It's made in Korea!:D

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2006, 09:22:13 PM »
The voices in The Simpsons are computer generated too...:noid
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2006, 09:36:27 PM »

"Good and bad, I define these terms
Quite clear, no doubt, somehow.
Ah, but I was so much older then,
I'm younger than that now."