Author Topic: Proper joystick response  (Read 574 times)

Offline RBNme

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.v28power.com
Proper joystick response
« on: June 10, 2006, 08:19:14 AM »
Hi everyone.
It seems to me that with my default settings and my joystick (Saitek 290PRO), I can never get a bead on an enemy without my gunsight bouncing around because my joystick seems to respond to every tiny movement of my hand (maybe I'm too old lol)

Specifically, which are the settings that would make the joystick respond very little when it's centered? I'm not sure if my question is clear. The overall control is fine, but when I'm on someones 6, I'm constantly "over adjusting" up and down. Just pressing the fire trigger causes a movement in the joystick because my hand must move it slightly.
Is there a "dead zone" setting, where I won't affect the movement when it's centered?

I apologize if the question isn't clear.

Also, I would be interested in how everyone sets up their sticks, what type of settings, etc..

Thanks!

jeff

Offline Wizer

• Nickel Member
Proper joystick response
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 08:22:45 AM »
Try adjusting your damping and deadband settings.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Proper joystick response
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 09:36:23 AM »
in the game click on "options, control mapping (I think)" Select the axis you wish to adjust, by left clicking on it. Be sure the "advance" box is checked. This will open a swing out panel with the sliders to adjust the dead band, and sensitivity of that axis.

Offline RBNme

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.v28power.com
Proper joystick response
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 09:53:07 AM »
ok thanks I will try that

Jeff

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Proper joystick response
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 12:58:58 PM »
RBN, just play with the scaling sliders and deadband/damping for each axis, untill you find a setting that suits you and your Joystick.

In the "advanced" menu, make sure the ENABLE SCALING box is checked as well :).

Deadband: As little as possible, as much as necessary. (check the lines in the blue box for spiking)

Damping: I prefer more immediate input, so i got it almost to 0.... if you have a more rough handling of your stick, try half an inch of damping.

Scaling is most important for Pitch and Rudder axis if you have trouble with nose bounce. Try halfway for the first slider and then a staircase up to the top for the last one. With rudder you might want the last sliders a little down as well, since when at full rudder deflection, you might want a little less sensitivity as well.

Youll need to play around a bit, to find a setting that suits you personally.

Welcome back to AH :).
21 is only half the truth.

Offline DustyR

• Copper Member
Proper joystick response
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 08:18:06 PM »
If you can not get the shake out of the stick, try mapping your fire commands to a couple of keys on the keyboard, this will often times solve the problem.:noid
Coal Country WV -- Home of the free ** because of the brave.

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
Proper joystick response
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 05:00:34 AM »
Try upping dampening a bit.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
Proper joystick response
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 06:41:44 AM »
RBNme, I fly bishops and if you ever see me on, ask and i'll walk you through a step at a time adjusting your stick in such a way that you'll like the results.

hap