Author Topic: Allies vs Axis Arena: some reflexions  (Read 2527 times)

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Allies vs Axis Arena: some reflexions
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2006, 05:05:28 PM »
Originally posted by Kev367th

As for getting "the right people", there's part of your problem, what makes you lot so special.

Sign up chief. Come on and join the staff and make it perfect. I mean, waht the hell do we know? Its not like we were players in the CT long before we signed up for the staff. Want in the AvA Development Group forum? I can make that happen right now for you.

Nice cheap shots there Shifty. Very classy there bud:aok  You want to step in and help? You think you have something to offer? Let me know.

storch

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2006, 05:20:12 PM »
and while this debate plods on, I just logged off from the AvA where we had a total of ten players with everyone being careful not to let the sides become too unbalanced mostly everyone in spits v zekes no one higher than 8k and those were the timid cherrypickers lots of explosions and few kills actually landed.  in short a great furball!!!  when I didn't hear a sewing machine I knew a spit was saddling up and I needed to twist.  exactly what my idea of an enjoyable sunday pm should be.

great fights all to reddog and skygnome for doing some amazing stuff in those spitVs.

Offline sparow

• Nickel Member
      • http://249sqn.wordpress.com/
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2006, 06:33:48 PM »
In fact Storch, I must agree with you - it was innevitable, I think - it was a very enjoyable furball. In fact, we only needed the CV and one field. All the rest was superfluous...

Fights between Spit V and A6M5 are very interesting. The fact of having more pilots than usual contributed to general amusement.

One thing stands out from tonight's action: AvA is a fighter-jock arena.

One idea: develop special maps for all TOD, few fields, no ack except mannable guns, nothing to take, only realistic planes- fighters only - match-up, low icons d's, realistic fuel consumption, friendly DAR only, killshooter OFF, and 1 big map, full of goodies, for the Monthly AvA Slugfest. One event a month to gather all "usual" squadrons, almost 4 weeks to research and get the thing going.

What do you think about this?

Note: separation between fields should never be less than 50 miles...maybe 75 would be better.

Salute,

Sparrow
Sparow
249 Sqn RAF "Gold Coast"
Consistently beeing shot down since Tour 33 (MA) and Tour 8  (CT/AvA)

Visit us at http://249sqn.wordpress.com/

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2006, 07:38:34 PM »
Originally posted by Slash27
Nice cheap shots there Shifty. Very classy there bud:aok  You want to step in and help? You think you have something to offer? Let me know.

I think you take it all a little to personally Slash and allow you're emotions get the best of you and your intentions end up turning out as negative, imo.  I mean that contructively and not as any kind of a poke.

As for the AvA development group, I say don't even bother it is a waste of time.  It is just another form of the "red tape" of the AvA.  I wish it was a different case and my opinion might be completely different from yours but it is my opinion.

I'd sign up any day, but you and I both know that won't happen.  Especially under the terms I asked for.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”.

Albert Einstein
[/b]
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2006, 07:43:57 PM »

Yeah I have a lot to offer. Actually I have offered in the past. Once even in an e-mail to you.  I doubt you want my help any more now then you did then.
 My shots are no cheaper than yours. Since your talking about cheap shots,, this board is nothing but cheap shots.  You got a guy who finds a way to take cheap shots at the Allies in every post. Nothing ever gets said to him.
Many cheap shots are made by you, and usually because somebody questions the AVA staff. Just because somebody questions how things are done , or even complains about how things are doesn't mean you need to automatically turn on the sarcasm button. Your on the staff, couldnt you handle it better?   You could have replied in a different manner to see if there was a way to see Kevs point or make your point clearer to him.  Your response Why do you care?  Pretty much says it all, you ethier don't care , or are of the opinon the AVA staff should never be questioned. Your response is usually like that if anyone has a complaint. So if you want to mention a lack of class,,,, look in the mirror.

I don't always agree with Oldman, but at least he seems to try and understand what the player is talking about, and reason out an answer.
What Kev said isn't the only reason numbers are down, but has a lot to do with it.
You want the numbers up? Run the RPS. Thats when you get the most numbers. Allow the planes in when they should be.

One last thing to remember. I agree Luftwaffe planes are harder to learn as a whole. So Quote me!
 However they are some of the most leathel machines in the game. Once somebody learns to fly them they should be able to handle anybody in anything.

Out of necessity except for PTO's every setup will contain 109s,110's and usually 190s. Therefore the guys that love those planes get to fly those planes every setup. I understand why this has to be.  However what you guys are failing to notice is.................They become incredably proficient in them. Yet they get to complain about Allied models , insult Allied players ,  all while flying their favorite aircraft almost every setup. While the Allies usually fly a limited plane set of whatever the AVA staff decides is fair. Many times after lots of input by the guys flying the 109s and 190s, on this very board. So you have guys flying their favorite rides each setup against guys that have different aircraft be they Brit, US, or Russian. The only time this doesn't happen is when you run an RPS starting with BOB.

The fact that none of you on the staff havent picked up on this yet tells me your not paying attention to why the numbers are down.  You can't give one side their favorites each setup, while you limit the other side and expect numbers.

Slash this is not an attack on the staff. Reading this board and seeing what I see , has led me to this opinon. I've given up on the AVA , along with  quite a few others. This place has gotten to the point where it's actually more enjoyable to fly in the MA.  Thats something I never thought I'd say.

I'm actually rooting for you guys Slash, and I hope you pull it out of the dive.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2006, 10:06:58 PM »
I think Shifty just about covered it all.

As for logging off with a GRAND total of 10 players in the AvA Storch -

Must be nice to have a company that allows a tiny, weeny, itty bit of the community as a whole to treat a server as their own personal playground.

You can't actually be happy that you had only 10 people out of whats available, 600 in the MA?

Makes you wonder how long it will be allowed to continue as the demands on the MA continue to increase.

A lot of people were expecting big things when the name changed, unfortuneately thats all it was, a name change with business as usual.

Just checked arena numbers 11.30pm EST -
MA - 490
AvA - 4
TA - 21
Makes you wonder huh?

[edit] Thinking about it, if you want balance you do have a choice.
There were two periods when neither side really had a big advantage -
1940, and 1942-43.
That cuts out the LW big advantage in 1941, and the allies big advantage 1944-45.
Easy aint it.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 10:36:59 PM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

storch

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2006, 10:35:22 PM »
nerfed planeset?  what you are seeing is the axis planes have improved ever so slightly that is all.  the spits are still very easy to fly, probably as they should be.  with regard to 10 people in a fight, that is essentially what you have at any given base in the MA when I play which is usually before 0800 EST.  when the MA fills near capacity you essentially have hordes of pork shedders ignoring each other enroute to their next remaxing venture.  not my idea of fun.  the fact is that in my opinion you cannot find a fight equal to the worst fight in the AvA in the MA on it's best day.  here's what I find amusing. we have people who seldomly play the arena complaining about game play they don't participate in.  on the few occassions they do show up.  they play for about 10-15 minutes with amazing timidity, get shot down then run away to hide under the proverbial porch.  there are some of us that play every day.  with that type of exposure one can only improve.  that would go equally to axis and allied players as well as guys like some of the gunfighters which are very proficient in any ride.  the ten guys that play the arena regularly do so because inspite of all the flaws with the AvA they like it.  is that fact lost on any of you?  I think the real problem is you guys just can't compete against the regulars in their element.  there's spits in their right now.  next week you'll have seafires.  why not bring your bad selves in there and show us how the big boys do it downtown?  I personally will even stay in the Ki61 until you guys start ganging as you inevitably must.  I don't think your individual playing skills will be up to the challenge.

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2006, 12:50:16 AM »
Oh geez, would all dweebs please check their egos at the door.

I admit it, us non AvA guys are crap, not worthy to share the same server, happy now?

Nerfed wasn't referring to performance - It was referring to the crippled allied planeset that accompanies most AvA setups.

a) Spit XVI is a perfect example - Can't have it even it was available as it unbalances the arena (allegedly).
b) Can't have the LW as a disadvantage in 1944 so we'll enable the D9 4 months early.
c) But we can have the RAF at a disadvantage all through 1941.

Looks like BS, smells like BS, generally is BS.

No-one saying 10 guys weren't enjoying themselves, but ask yourself this -
Seems like on average you have less than 5% of the total available players in the AvA.
How long you do think HT will continue to leave a server for a minute percentage of players to run their own personal trainset, with CT on the way, and the continuing increasing pressure on the MA server.

The all new AvA started with such promise, then descended very quickly back to it's roots.

As for running away, on the very few occasions I've met you in the MA you've been in your K4 running for the clouds looking for an easy cherry.
Learn that in the AvA?

So why do you think the AvA gets CONSISTENLY very low attendance?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 12:57:41 AM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2006, 01:29:29 AM »
Originally posted by Kev367th
Oh geez, would all dweebs please check their egos at the door.

I admit it, us non AvA guys are crap, not worthy to share the same server, happy now?

Nerfed wasn't referring to performance - It was referring to the crippled allied planeset that accompanies most AvA setups.

a) Spit XVI is a perfect example - Can't have it even it was available as it unbalances the arena (allegedly).
b) Can't have the LW as a disadvantage in 1944 so we'll enable the D9 4 months early.
c) But we can have the RAF at a disadvantage all through 1941.

Looks like BS, smells like BS, generally is BS.

No-one saying 10 guys weren't enjoying themselves, but ask yourself this -
Seems like on average you have less than 5% of the total available players in the AvA.
How long you do think HT will continue to leave a server for a minute percentage of players to run their own personal trainset, with CT on the way, and the continuing increasing pressure on the MA server.

The all new AvA started with such promise, then descended very quickly back to it's roots.

As for running away, on the very few occasions I've met you in the MA you've been in your K4 running for the clouds looking for an easy cherry.
Learn that in the AvA?

So why do you think the AvA gets CONSISTENLY very low attendance?

Is this how you are in real life? Just running around screaming " im a victim!!" while you spew misinformation and lies while pretending to be some kind of voice for whats "really going on"? What the hell is your issue anyway? You can back up nothing of what you type but the D9 being added 4 months early (one day) in a RPS. Honestly. Whats wrong with you?

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2006, 02:07:40 AM »
Originally posted by Shifty
Yeah I have a lot to offer. Actually I have offered in the past. Once even in an e-mail to you.  I doubt you want my help any more now then you did then.
 My shots are no cheaper than yours. Since your talking about cheap shots,, this board is nothing but cheap shots.  You got a guy who finds a way to take cheap shots at the Allies in every post. Nothing ever gets said to him.
Many cheap shots are made by you, and usually because somebody questions the AVA staff. Just because somebody questions how things are done , or even complains about how things are doesn't mean you need to automatically turn on the sarcasm button. Your on the staff, couldnt you handle it better?   You could have replied in a different manner to see if there was a way to see Kevs point or make your point clearer to him.  Your response Why do you care?  Pretty much says it all, you ethier don't care , or are of the opinon the AVA staff should never be questioned. Your response is usually like that if anyone has a complaint. So if you want to mention a lack of class,,,, look in the mirror.

I see. Im supposed to entertain what amounts to lies from Kev because Im on the staff. Im also supposed to tolerate being refered to as a "thug" by you because you think as Kev does, that we cater to certain group in the AvA. Nothing to back this up but you think you have a free pass to make baseless accusations. Ok, my bad.

Originally posted by Shifty
Kev you could use the low numbers from the last two setups to back up your opinon. One of which Finn/Russ is always so highly toughted as the best. Don't bother though because they just won't listen .:lol
Vote with your feet and let em play themselves.

Most of your ideas are good ones sparrow, good luck I'd like to see you have some success with them. One thing though , you mentioned turning the AVA into an Expertan Ghetto....... I'd argue it's a ghetto already , and like all ghetteos people move out and leave it to the thugs.
 [/B][/QUOTE]

I could care less what you or anyone elses opinion of me is on the matter. I wont apologize for defending guys like Oldman,Duke,Panzzer, and Fork against unfounded allegations from some one who has some chip on thier shoulder about God knows what. Those guys put alot of effort out of thier day for the AvA. Much more than I do for sure. Of course its not enough for some of you. It never will be. Your only solution is to focus on what to grief about. How easy is that?

Im nothing more than a reserve staffer. I have been for about a year now. If some one thinks they can breathe new life into the AvA and can bring about some awe inspiring change to bring the arena back from the abyss. Come on with it.

The CT was dead. When it changed to the AvA we went with the RPS. Things were looking good again. Now its summer time. Even when the old CT was at its prime it didnt have near the same numbers as it did during fall and winter. Fall come around things will pick back up. Or, we can have this BBS grief fest and do everything possible to drag the AvA down and make it the ghost town the CT was. But no worries, youll have the staff to blame for your unhappiness while you grief away and refuse to lift a finger or take any initiative, come up with any ideas, or focus on the positive.Wont matter if you do anyway. Youll never get through all that "AvA red tape".

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2006, 03:44:05 AM »
Kev

I have always had tons of respect for your knowledge and for you as a person but your behaviour in regards to the AvA situation is imho quite poor. Man you have tons of knowledge but instead of using it to improve something that you feel beeing wrong you use it to obeserve and whine.

Why not instead use that huge amount of knowledge you have to help improve the arena and the plane sets?

Then you might actually realize two things first of all the CMs arnt as LW biased as you think. If someone sudgests something its usually not a problem getting it in if you can motivate it. Second you will notice its damn hard to create good historical and time accurate planesets due to the huge gaps in the plane sets. This is extreamly obvious on the east front and pacific front.

If its so that the AvA game play isnt to your liking and you dont feel that you want to invest your energy in helping improving it then that is fine. But then you dont have any right to whine either.

Anyways one of the worst things I know is people who run around playing smart arse instead of beeing constructive.

Tex

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2006, 06:50:32 AM »
Geez Slash the ghetto remark wasn't aimed at the staff it was aimed at Storch.:lol  As usual he is at it again, talking about how great he is and how everybody else is timid and sucks.  Thats what I meant when I said people move out and leave the ghetto to the thugs.  Mix that kind of constant behavior from the same individuals along with the fact those same people get the aircraft they want most setups , and theres one of your reasons for low numbers.

It's not JG54 bashing.. It's called being fed up.
Slash

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2006, 07:38:33 AM »
the D9 being added 4 months early (one day) in a RPS. Honestly. Whats wrong with you?

Heh.  This was pretty funny, I think Kev probably didn't recognize that it was just a one-day thing.

If I can pull any sense out of the criticisms here, it seems to me that there is some concern that those who fly LW rides get favored treatment.  Certainly the staff is not trying to favor anyone.  Flying G6s and A8s against P-51s, Spitfires and P-38s is a challenge - try it, you'll see.  I'm more inclined to think that Shifty has a point, which is that anyone who regularly flies a particular plane type will get pretty good at it.  Isn't this unavoidable?  If someone is willing to bite the bullet and get good at flying the G6, for example, should we enable Tempests on the Allied side to compensate for his increased skill?

This isn't a rhetorical question.  I've heard the gripes, now I'd like to hear the proffered solutions.

- oldman

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2006, 07:41:04 AM »
Enable the European RPS on a constant rotation for 6 months.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2006, 07:43:56 AM »
Originally posted by TheBug
Enable the European RPS on a constant rotation for 6 months.

So, no more Tunisia, or Russian or blue planes?

- oldman