Author Topic: shooting tatics  (Read 1986 times)

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
shooting tatics
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2006, 02:04:59 PM »
Get them in the convergence zone. In that zone, a 1/2 sec burst of 4x50s can make a buff explode.

Fire at fuselage at fighter, wing root in bomber -- because thats where the critical damage is gunna come.

Frankly, shooting from farther out than 400 only makes sense when making a dweeby guy panic and turn.

Kinetic energy is responsible for the biggest part of the damage your rounds do, even with most cannon shells. The farther you round travels, the slower and less damaging your hits are going to be -- not to mention the harder to get hits in the first place.  

So, even if you get hits at 800 you are only getting a fraction of the benefit you should be able to get from that round.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Reynolds

• Gold Member
      • http://flyingknights.csmsites.com
shooting tatics
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2006, 02:19:33 PM »
1. Does aces high reduce damage w/ distance?

2. I need kills. I cant get them in a furball, because i lack ACM skills. Luckily, I CAN fire effectively from a distance. It works for me, because i can hit, and the 30mm hit HARD.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
shooting tatics
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2006, 02:47:41 PM »
Originally posted by bozon
Krusty,
The man asked a question.

It's still a stupid question. Looking at some of his other posts, he's not really posting for quality, just quantity.

EDIT: Oh and I think he edited it to add the second line after I posted.

Offline Souless

• Copper Member
shooting tatics
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2006, 02:50:55 PM »
Originally posted by Reynolds
Its no waste. I make the kill with normally about 3-4 shots spent. The La-La i was talking about was different. I sucked at aiming then, and it took me 9. But i fire only one shot at a time, and then correct..

My apologies to you if you think shooting a 30mm 800 out or 1000 is not a waste, I would suggest to you the hit sprites your getting are MG rounds and not 30mm cannon.

Offline Reynolds

• Gold Member
shooting tatics
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2006, 03:15:34 PM »
Im not firing MG rounds. Only cannon. and its working.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
shooting tatics
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2006, 03:26:31 PM »
Originally posted by Reynolds
Im not firing MG rounds. Only cannon. and its working.

Hmmm.. according to your game stats, it is NOT working. A hit percentage of 1.4 % is very, very low. That means from a 65 round 30mm loadout on a 109K, only about 1(!) shell is hitting the enemy.
I would suggest you to follow the recommendations of your fellow pilots in here. Shoot only when close & personal. This is not only a matter of ACM but of discipline & self-restraint. Do it for a week and you will start to note the difference. You may get fewer opportunities to shoot at the enemy, but on the long run you will kill more of them.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline red26

• Silver Member
      • http://www.red25s.zoomshare.com
shooting tatics
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2006, 04:30:01 PM »
How do you check your hit percentage offline? I know how online but not offline?:aok
US ARMY LEAD THE WAY

Offline Souless

• Copper Member
shooting tatics
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2006, 05:22:34 PM »
Renolds this is the last time I will post in regards to a 30mm round.
You are delusional to think your hitting from 800-1000 yards out with a 30mm.
That said have a nice day:aok

Offline zorstorer

• Silver Member
shooting tatics
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2006, 05:30:17 PM »
For some reason I cannot foget how the Army told us how to fight with the M2A2 Bradley :)

1 ranging round (if hit)

3-4 round burst x2  (should be dead after that)

So I guess I pop off a few rounds see where they hit then adjust and fire a few bursts.

Offline red26

• Silver Member
      • http://www.red25s.zoomshare.com
shooting tatics
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2006, 05:41:04 PM »
rgr that zorstorer. ---> red 25 1/33rd FA was taught the same thing always shoot a spoter round :aok
US ARMY LEAD THE WAY

Offline Reynolds

• Gold Member
shooting tatics
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2006, 05:45:30 PM »
I next to never find myself in position to make a close shot. And i would venture to say that my hit percentage has gone WAY down in the last... 8 days? I have made what i have recorded to be effectice shots from 800m. i have fired only severaly shots, and made confirmed kills. I am telling you from my experience what i am doing, and what its effects are. Now, i DO NOT fire a 30mm at a target that is more than 200m away UNLESS HE IS FLYING STRAIGHT AND LEVEL. If an aricraft is maneuvering, i DO NOT SHOOT. if the enemy is straight and level and MORE than 1000m, i DO NOT SHOOT. If i am targeting an aircraft and who IS maneuvering preventing me from a clear shot, even IF he is WITHIN 200m, i DO NOT FIRE CANNON. I fire MGs only at that point. I DO NOT fire cannon AT ALL, unless i have a CONFIRMED shot. And the reason my hit percentage (Which was surely low already due to my n00b-ness) has gone way down is 2 reasons:

1. My trigger has been recorded to stick, and just not stop shooting. I have complained over the country-wide that my guns wouldnt stop firing.

2. My comp has lagged very badly and froze while useing my dads computer, and has kept the guns again firing much longer than i had pulled the trigger for.

Now, my technique is NOT perfect. My aim is NOT garunteed, my kills are NOT certain. But so far, these techniques have worked for me. I know where the 30mms are going. This isnt the first game i have played where i fly the 109 80% of the time. Im used to their weapons. The flight charactoristics are a bit different, but the weapons feel the same in my hands. I find it very difficult to engage in a furball. I try, but my time to shine, is when i have an A/C that thinks he is safe, simply because he is out of what most pilots consider to be an effective range for a 30mm. He loosens up. Relaxes. He knows he is already "out of range", and he is faster than me, and so getting farther away. This happens quite a bit, and this is when i find kills are easiest. If i know from experience that i can put a shot or two where i need them to go, i will take that shot. and yes, sometimes it takes several more shots that i would like. but if it takes 10, even 15 shots, if at least a few of those shots hit to make the kill, thats one more kill, and one less bandit. and in the situtation i normally find myself in, (No ACM, not much manuevering skill, enough ammo to fight off an enemy [50 on a K, 100 on a G] i have enough ammo, just not the maneuvering skill to make use of it.) this is my best option, and this, for the most part works for me. If i start running out of ammo in combat, i will take a second look at my strategy. But for now, when those few times i make it back to base, or when i get shot down, i am landning or getting killed with at least 50 rounds in a G, and 30 in a K. I have enough ammo. Im not worried about that. I just dont have the ACM. but my shooting is working better than anything else i do.

Offline zorstorer

• Silver Member
shooting tatics
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2006, 07:07:39 PM »
Originally posted by red26
rgr that zorstorer. ---> red 25 1/33rd FA was taught the same thing always shoot a spoter round :aok

I was Blue 1 Golf :)  If you called for the Lt you talked to me instead :(  He was never around :D

Offline Baylor

• Copper Member
shooting tatics
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2006, 07:56:54 PM »
I have been flying 109K4 as of late and I wait till cons plane fills my windscreen, then fire cannon....or 200, which ever first.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
shooting tatics
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2006, 04:21:47 AM »
Mashes the trigger lol.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
shooting tatics
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2006, 05:07:04 AM »
Originally posted by Simaril
Frankly, shooting from farther out than 400 only makes sense when making a dweeby guy panic and turn.

Try the Yak9T at 1K on Bomber :)

I downed several formation this way some time ago :)