Author Topic: dogfights  (Read 809 times)

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
dogfights
« on: July 03, 2006, 02:43:19 PM »
Im reasonably new to the game, and have just started playing in the MA. My problem is that i have trouble getting off the ground for 2 minutes before becoming somebodys easy points! I need advice! Im getting tired of seeing oil and blood all over my cockpit.
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
dogfights
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 03:03:11 PM »
sounds like your being 'vultched' - eg straffed on take-off. Happens a lot. Only way to avoid it is to up from a field which is clear of enemies, get up, get some speed and seek out the engagment when your more ready to fight.
As to how to fix the noobitis is to find a trainer and get shown some of the basics, then its a huge upwards learning curve which you will probably never reach the top. But push your limits and boundaries whatever they are at the time and you will learn from each experience.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
dogfights
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 07:14:29 PM »
thanks for that, its not exactly being vulched. They wait till im in the air but Im just no good in a dogfight. Im hammered time and time again!
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
dogfights
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 07:41:09 PM »
The easyest thing to do is to go to the training arena and spend some time with a trainer. Having played the game a bit already you know the basics, so a trainer will be able to get you pointed in the right dirrection.

On the other hand, to get to the point of having a 50-50 shot at winning fights in the main arena WILL take you months of practice. There is alot to flying, then add in the art of getting in a possition to take a shot, all while avoiding getting killed by cherry pickers, well I'm sure you get the picture.

If you go in with the attitude of first accepting that in the begining you will be killed A LOT !!, but learn from the fights you'll do your self a big favor, and this will get you a long way in becoming a good sim pilot.

Good luck, and welcome to Aces High !

Offline mrshiver

• Zinc Member
dogfights
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 08:07:15 PM »
Welcome to the most addictivie online game around.

Record, record, record. Then review each film from every angle. While replaying the film you can get into the cockpit of the player who shot you down and watch it from their prespective. It gives you a much better idea of what you did wrong and what the other player did right, or vise-versa.

You can also learn a great deal from the trainers in the Training Arena. Go there, ask around, if no trainers are present most vets will gladly give you a hand.

Not to discourage you but this game has a very steep learning curve. If you've got some experience with combat flight sims, then you're ahead of the pack. As Fugivite said, attitude is the most important attritbute to learning this game. If you go in expecting to win every fight you won't last a month. On the other hand if you view each fight as a learning experience, you'll soon progress to the point of actually landing kills. :aok
Flying as shiverx

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
dogfights
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 06:16:01 AM »
Mrshiver, I cant agree more. This really is the most addictive game around, and the reason I like it is because you never know if you will get home from the mission or not! Its fun and thanks for all your encouragment. I never realised you could film, so Thats what I will do. Thanks and Everyone for their help.

Offline Reynolds

• Gold Member
      • http://flyingknights.csmsites.com
dogfights
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 06:24:22 AM »
Also, my tiny suggestion which is probably wrong but i will say it anyway:

Pick a plane, and make sure you know it like the back of your hand. If you chose the 109, tell me, i have over 100 pages of documents on it, you might find interesting.

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
dogfights
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 09:53:22 AM »
sorry reynolds, ive gone fo the P40. Its an ok plane.

Offline dhaus

• Copper Member
dogfights
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 10:49:44 AM »
Hmm, P-40 can be a difficult plane to fly - especially for a newbie like me (I've only been at it for a little more than a year here.)  The first plane I got kills in was the C-205.  Reasonably fast, can turn some, and decent canon with lots of ammo.  The two things I have discovered as a beginner are:  altitude and speed.  Yes, there are those who can kill when low and slow, but I am not one of them.  Do NOT climb up to the enemy.  If you find yourself low and slow, get out, climb, gain speed and come back.  Chenault told his pilots do not turn with the zeros in the p-40.  Come in with altitude, speed, then dive.  If you have a shot, take, but otherwise, pull up, rinse and repeat.  Sort of like a porpoise.  (Also classic boom and zoom.)  I don't know if that will work here, but I would treat all spits, f6fs and the like as zeros.

Offline porkfrog

• Nickel Member
dogfights
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 01:03:16 PM »
the p40 huh? thats going to be a frustrating puppy for you IMO. ive only been playing for 3 months but i would suggest a different plane.

i plan on flying this whole tour (a "tour" runs 1 month) in a Zero myself.

have you considered the Ki84? or maybe the f6f?

if you go with the other persons suggestion of the c205, be sure to use up your wing tanks first by using F.

-JoLLY
PigsontheWing.org
-JoLLY
Pigs On The Wing

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
dogfights
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 04:04:14 PM »
im quite keen on the Zero myself. For a while I was flying the LA7 but got the feeling I wasnt using its full potential, so gave up on it. I might try the Zero. Thanks. Any tips on using it?

Offline RunNGunn

• Zinc Member
dogfights
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 07:38:40 PM »
Just returning from a 2 year layoff but i have to agree with Reynolds. Pick a plane and stick with it. The best pilots in the game are good in most planes but exceptional in 1 or 2. Don't feel bad about gettin shot down:)  The players shooting you down may have over 5 years experience. Also pay attention.. SA has a very big role in how long you stay in the air. Best of luck.:aok

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
dogfights
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006, 08:15:18 PM »
ok thanks for that. I often have the problem that I get an enemy into my sights, jab down then get my tail blown off( Or more commonly my wing. Strangly enough its always the left wing, Thats strange. Oh well) Any advice to help save my wings? The Mitsibishi factory must have sold out by now!

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
dogfights
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2006, 09:03:50 PM »
Originally posted by macleod01
ok thanks for that. I often have the problem that I get an enemy into my sights, jab down then get my tail blown off( Or more commonly my wing. Strangly enough its always the left wing, Thats strange. Oh well) Any advice to help save my wings? The Mitsibishi factory must have sold out by now!

your biting off more nme then you can chew ... or in simple terms ..you dont have enough Situation awarness to judge possitions of every con around you yet .

This takes the most practice to win in multiable con (furball) enviroments

start dueling 1 vs 1's then 1 vs 2 .. then 1 vs 2 with a 3rd circling  get used to keeping track of each and every plane and there distances vs alt vs speed .. take the quick shot as you get them but dont let youself get locked onto 1 target  ,,, think outta the box and try to do what they dont expect .

film ur fights and review them .
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline moneyguy

• Silver Member
dogfights
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2006, 09:44:04 PM »
try setting up your views if you haven't done so already. push your hat switch to one of your views like back for example. while holding the hat switch in that position, use the arrow keys and the page up/down keys to move your view point to a place where you can see better. default back view is the head rest, you can adjust it so you see more behind you than the back of the seat. this will help greatly in seeing the nme behind you.