Author Topic: dogfights  (Read 807 times)

Offline porkfrog

• Nickel Member
dogfights
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2006, 02:03:58 AM »
What I have learned about the Zero thus far.... and in no particular order.

1. Can turn, flip, roll, Immel, and loop at some of the lowest speeds I've seen.

2. SA!! Situational awareness is absolutely paramount. This plane can not take much damage without lighting up like a blowtorch. YOU HAVE TO BE MORE DEFENSIVE THAN OFFENSIVE. Learn to "Check 6" often, and throw in a Check 3,4,5,7,8,9,11, and if there was a 13, i'd check that also =)

3. If engaged in a 1 v 1 fight most NME will dive away from you. Once you approach dive speeds of 250mph or greater your surface controls become less responsive. At 300 or greater its pointless. If I dont think I will gain a solution within seconds I will gently pull back up into a climb maybe into a loop, using rudder to angle off. I never loop clean thru because someone could be preparing for a "pick".

4. Set your convergence at a relatively short distance. Mines set for 350 even though most of my shooting is at d200. Someone told me in here a day or so ago that the ballistics modeling is very accurate and the Zero cannons drop quickly. Also when you are on someones 6 and they have a little too much E for you, learn to use your MG's in bursts. This usually causes them to break, bleeding off more of their E,  presenting you with a cannon shot.

5. Has a wicked snapshot. Ive gotten many a N1K1/LaLa lately who attempted to HO me only to end up wondering how the hell they missed and I shot them in the face. This pleases me much =) Angle off when they are on HO approach and watch for them to turn to meet you, when they do, snap rudder into them, squeeze, and then pull back hard for the briefest second. I am not saavy enough to know what is actually happening, but I usually end up slightly above their horizon line, their engine smoking, and me already set up for my reverse. I'd be happy to show you what im explaining in the TA if you'd like.

6. When engaged with an enemy that has the advantage, try and get the fight as slow and low as quickly as possible. I've actually even started showing people my 6 and giving them the thought that a solution is only seconds away, meanwhile I'm bleeding their E, using the deck as a cutoff and taking angles away from them.

7. Lastly but most important, listen to the guys in the arena that have been around. Maybe look into joining a squad. CRETON from Bad Company Clan has taught me alot simply because I asked. There are so many players that are not only willing but eager to share their knowledge. So ask. Dont be proud. Dont be offended when someone offers a suggestion, and you will be suprised at how much you will learn.

I will close with a qoute I saw another person use. It may not be exact but you will get the gist(sp?) of it.

"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, RUN, you are outnumbered."

<>

JoLLY
PigsontheWing.org
-JoLLY
Pigs On The Wing

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
dogfights
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2006, 02:11:53 AM »
Very good writeup on the Zeke, porkfrog.

Thanks!
21 is only half the truth.

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
dogfights
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2006, 07:08:53 AM »
porkfrog, I'll take you up on the offer about the TA. I could do with a bit of training in the Zero.
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack