Author Topic: Zero write-up  (Read 780 times)

Offline porkfrog

• Nickel Member
Zero write-up
« on: July 05, 2006, 11:28:07 AM »
Below you will find a write-up I did about the Zero for a guy who had a question in the "Help & Training" thread. Maybe some of you might find it usefull.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I have learned about the Zero thus far.... and in no particular order.

1. Can turn, flip, roll, Immel, and loop at some of the lowest speeds I've seen.

2. SA!! Situational awareness is absolutely paramount. This plane can not take much damage without lighting up like a blowtorch. YOU HAVE TO BE MORE DEFENSIVE THAN OFFENSIVE. Learn to "Check 6" often, and throw in a Check 3,4,5,7,8,9,11, and if there was a 13, i'd check that also =)

3. If engaged in a 1 v 1 fight most NME will dive away from you. Once you approach dive speeds of 250mph or greater your surface controls become less responsive. At 300 or greater its pointless. If I dont think I will gain a solution within seconds I will gently pull back up into a climb maybe into a loop, using rudder to angle off. I never loop clean thru because someone could be preparing for a "pick".

4. Set your convergence at a relatively short distance. Mines set for 350 even though most of my shooting is at d200. Someone told me in here a day or so ago that the ballistics modeling is very accurate and the Zero cannons drop quickly. Also when you are on someones 6 and they have a little too much E for you, learn to use your MG's in bursts. This usually causes them to break, bleeding off more of their E, presenting you with a cannon shot.

5. Has a wicked snapshot. Ive gotten many a N1K1/LaLa lately who attempted to HO me only to end up wondering how the hell they missed and I shot them in the face. This pleases me much =) Angle off when they are on HO approach and watch for them to turn to meet you, when they do, snap rudder into them, squeeze, and then pull back hard for the briefest second. I am not saavy enough to know what is actually happening, but I usually end up slightly above their horizon line, their engine smoking, and me already set up for my reverse. I'd be happy to show you what im explaining in the TA if you'd like.

6. When engaged with an enemy that has the advantage, try and get the fight as slow and low as quickly as possible. I've actually even started showing people my 6 and giving them the thought that a solution is only seconds away, meanwhile I'm bleeding their E, using the deck as a cutoff and taking angles away from them.

7. Lastly but most important, listen to the guys in the arena that have been around. Maybe look into joining a squad. CRETON from Bad Company Clan has taught me alot simply because I asked. There are so many players that are not only willing but eager to share their knowledge. So ask. Dont be proud. Dont be offended when someone offers a suggestion, and you will be suprised at how much you will learn.

I will close with a qoute I saw another person use. It may not be exact but you will get the gist(sp?) of it.

"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, RUN, you are outnumbered."

<>

JoLLY
PigsontheWing.org
-JoLLY
Pigs On The Wing

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Zero write-up
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 12:52:07 PM »
MGs on the Zeke are as near to as useless as aircraft armament gets. Once the cannon are dry may as well head home 'cause those 7.7s may as well be shooting spitwads.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline porkfrog

• Nickel Member
Zero write-up
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 01:14:50 PM »
Agreed. I only use them to get people to turn/break so I can bleed their energy.

-JoLLY
PigsontheWing.org
-JoLLY
Pigs On The Wing

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Zero write-up
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 02:42:06 PM »
The problem with the Zeke/Zero is that most planes will be able to engage and disengage from the fight at will, especially the mid to late war planes.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Zero write-up
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 02:44:26 PM »
If all you have is MGs then use your MGs. Disengaging in the middle of a fight is putting your arse in the other guy's gunsight.

You CAN get kills with them. Just keep the hit sprites in the same spot for a time of 3 seconds or so. That will rip a wing off. Less than that will cause a PW (if your aim is true). In the A6M5 you have 1x13mm and 1x7mm. That's good enough to get kills with. I took out an F4U a long while back (back when I flew zeros) with just the 2 MGs on an A6m5.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Zero write-up
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 03:35:55 PM »
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, RUN, you are outnumbered."

True ... unless of course you are in a Zero too ... :D

I take on Zekes with my FM2 but I have to be quick to the kill ... else the tables can turn quickly.

Most Zeke drivers, when you get behind their 6-9 line, give it a good yank and assume that they have lost the attacker due to the fact that most planes can't turn with them ... not true of the FM2 ... beside the Hurri I ... I believe that it's the only plane that can hang with the Zeke ... granted the time is limited and the speed of the encounter is important.

Once a Zeke pops flaps ... nothing will turn with it.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
Zero write-up
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 04:39:28 PM »
You can actually maintain control quite well in the A6M5b at high speeds.  If you are careful enough on the controls, you can even keep that speed for quite a ways.  I've learned the hard way never to underestimate what that thing can do in the hands of someone who understands it.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Zero write-up
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 04:58:45 PM »
But that comes at a price.  Sure you might be able to get it to 300MPH+ IAS in a dive and keep that speed up for a few minutes but it comes at a price.  The price is maneuverability and the Zeke sucks at it at high speed.  At 300mph IAS+, a lot of planes that wouldn't have a dream of maneuvering with the Zeke at slow speeds will find themselves able to at higher speeds.

ack-ack

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
Zero write-up
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 03:10:27 PM »
The common wisdom in ACM is altitude is life.  This is true for every plane in AH EXCEPT  the Zero.  In fact the higher the opponent is when he dives, the easier it is to sidestep the attack (provided you are under 5k yourself).

I compare fighting in a Zero to bullfighting.  You have to keep sidestepping the on-rushing heavy metal till it wears itself out, then you whack it!!!  Getting that other pilot to waste his E advantage before killing him just makes the kill that much sweeter.

Another difference for the Zero pilot is that escape is usually not an option.  You can't outrun most of the other aircraft in AH.  So stay aggressive and head for home only after the opponent has run off or is put back into kitform.

One of my favorite quotes comes from Saburo Sakai "Fighting American aircraft was like fighting a knight in full armor, wearing only a loin cloth and armed with a dagger."

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
Zero write-up
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 04:22:09 PM »
Hehe, I actually had someone call me a cheater once because he kept trying to attack me and I kept flipping and rolling my zero around avoiding his attacks until finally he tried to go noseup and get away again and he had lost enough speed I was able to pop him before he could get far enough out.

Thats a great feeling.  :)

Offline porkfrog

• Nickel Member
Zero write-up
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 05:00:54 PM »
so i have flown only the Zero thus far into this campaign and intend to for the whole month. it's been working out great and i have been enjoying shooting down N1K1's and LaLas the most.  however...

i got into a small furball the other day which included a Rook SpitXVI. we were focused only on each other and this guy eventually shot me down. the pilot was Sonic23 and it really frustrated me because he was able to turn and reverse better than i was. now granted, i almost got him on a mean deflection shot that had him leaking good. but how he was able to reverse so quickly had me shaking my head. it was like he was heading one way and then dropped anchor, swung around the chain like a tether ball, and was coming right back at me with almost all of his E. he did this several times. i just happened to be filming and will review the tape tonight.

-JoLLY
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 05:09:11 PM by porkfrog »
-JoLLY
Pigs On The Wing

Offline Messiah

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
Zero write-up
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2006, 05:49:36 PM »
zekes burn nicely
Messiah(The O.G.)
The Blue Knights

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Zero write-up
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2006, 06:41:54 PM »
Originally posted by Messiah
zekes burn nicely

Nothing more dangerous than a burning Zeke ...  :D
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Zero write-up
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2006, 07:15:18 PM »
Originally posted by edge12674
The common wisdom in ACM is altitude is life.  This is true for every plane in AH EXCEPT  the Zero.  In fact the higher the opponent is when he dives, the easier it is to sidestep the attack (provided you are under 5k yourself).

That's provided the attacking pilot is careless enough to allow his plane to get too fast in the dive, making the snap shot extremely difficult if not impossible due to over speeding.  Planes with good roll rates at high speed only need to roll into your break turn for the snap shot.

ack-ack

Offline LEADPIG

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Zero write-up
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2006, 10:32:36 PM »
Zekes make nice P-38 food :D