Author Topic: P-51D - Please change the guns back  (Read 826 times)

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
P-51D - Please change the guns back
« on: June 24, 2006, 09:58:57 PM »
HTC

Please change the P-51D guns back the way they were since the dawn of AH. Is there any particular reason they were changed all the sudden?

I've seen the threads of those unfarmiliar with the original P-51D gun setup, and getting confused with the ammo counts when switching the primary set to match the secondary set, but that is hardly worth making a modification that throws off the harmony the guns had.

P-51D vets please post your opinions here and please give support to changing the guns back to the way they were originally.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 10:06:21 PM »
I dont see your point about harmony and I fly this plane as much as anyone Ive heard tell of and it acts the same to me. Whats different? I know it sounds different and the ammo numbers are not the same but the bullets have the same effect as far as I can tell.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline navajoboy

• Probation
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.uknightedstates.net
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 10:06:26 AM »
i use to kill about 8 bombers before i ran out of ammo. for some odd reason im down to 4. i guess it also attributes to not flying as much anymore also
Stovpipe aka Navajo
Uknighted 357th FG - JG26
-+= Foreign Relations Minister =+-
http://www.uknightedstates.net

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 12:16:07 PM »
I agree with Midnight.  Why can't we have control over primary and secondary wepons selection?  Seems like we went backwards to dumb things up.

In the past, the default primary was 2 inboard, secondary was 4 outboard.  The counters were 800 and 1080 for primary and secondary respectively.  Now we have a primary of 4 inboard, and secondary of 2 outboards, and counters 1340 and 540.  If our control over the wepons selection is going to be taken away, please make the default as it was before.   The loadout in the hangar is the same and the math isn't adding up, so looks like the controls of the guns are crossed (a bug).

It also looks like something is different with the dispersion and convergence.  I notice the guns seem to have a larger dispersion then in the past.  I think this is true of all aircraft, not just the P51.  But it is noticable on the P51 because the 50s need to hit in the same spot to do damage.  With higher dispersion, it is harder to do damage with the P51.

I noticed this when I had problems even getting a flash when shooting at an enemy.  I checked the patern on the target and it was spraying all over.  The convergence settings I had been using seemed to worked well for close and far range.  I had to modify these again when I checked my patern on the target.  

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 03:23:15 PM »
I adding my two cents and would also like the change back to the other way with 2x .50 inboards being primary and 4x .50 outboards being secondary.

If you notice when you take the four gun loadout instead of the six guns one, the  weapons switch and the outboard 2x.50 are now primary and inboard 2x.50 are secondary with the middle pair getting no ammo.
If this convention on 51D's guns was adopted for the six gun version and the middle 2x .50s got their ammo and fired with the inboard  pair, problem solved.
I think thats similar to the F4U pattern but it still nice to have those 51D primarys inboard for ranging the target with the better convergence angle.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 04:30:26 PM »
I would like them back the old way too.
Why were they changed in the first place HTC???
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 11:28:54 PM »
most notably is when you run dry with the 4x 50s and a left with one pair loaded. the old way made this situation alot more likely to still be able to snatch a final kill. not much difference in the physics, but it doesnt really feel right.

say you had a spit mk1 and were only given two guns to load onto the aircraft, it wouldnt make sence to put them on the wingtip positions, you would want them on the inner most pair. i would anyhow.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline bigsky406

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 01:02:38 PM »
I'm with Midnight, the P51D use to be one heck of a fighting mechine but, these last few patches have really down graded this plane.

Even though everyone says the bullets haven't change it now takes twice as many to down an aircraft.  The plane doesn't appear to be able to take much damage either.

Oh well, I'll continue to fly on....

Offline 332nd outlaw

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 04:05:30 PM »
pyro told a squadie of mine at the con that the change was going to be put back the first way but gave no time table for it happening

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 03:25:53 AM »
Yeap, would be nice to see it changed back

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline bigsky406

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 08:59:11 AM »
Last night was really bad, one bullet and down you go. Ok, prehaps this happens once in a while but EVERY sortie.....oh please.  Once again the P51's guns failed to have much impact on others.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 10:09:11 AM »
Thats interesting because I was destroying B26s with just thirty rounds from all six guns just last night. You mean these guns are supposed to be even more powerful?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2006, 11:18:22 AM »
Originally posted by Chalenge
Thats interesting because I was destroying B26s with just thirty rounds from all six guns just last night. You mean these guns are supposed to be even more powerful?

They were devastating back in AH1. Ahhh for the good ole days.

Offline awrabbit

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2006, 07:08:19 PM »
since  I have been back i have noticed that the guns do not hit as hard and it is harder to get rounds on  the target .  there is somthing really weird with the balistics.

I have been working with the guns off line alot and trying different things as well as my old settings from way back.

the bottom line is the guns in the 51 stink.  both the Delta and The Bravo.

my plane of choice is the Bravo and all i can do is spray and pray  to get strikes these days. i used to be able to get off a few well placed rounds and see results.  and in the Bravo if ya spray you are bingo ammo and rtb in a very short time.

I agree with my old CO from long ago.
BTW Hiya Midnight

Regards

Rabbit
Rabbit