Author Topic: f4u1 vs f4u1d  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
f4u1 vs f4u1d
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2006, 06:06:54 PM »
FD: Can you post your 1A climb/accel/speed charts with the AH 1 and 1D super-imposed for comparison? The later 1As used the same engine as the 1D, so wouldn't the reduced drag of the A-hog give her slighty BETTER acceleration?
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
f4u1 vs f4u1d
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2006, 08:04:11 AM »
Saxman,

I just figured out FD was me.

I will scan the stuff I have. I would imagine the beefed up -1A would be less draggy and accelerate better than the D with pylons.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
f4u1 vs f4u1d
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2006, 08:45:36 AM »
Ah! Lol!

Cool, yeah, that's what I thought.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline LEADPIG

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
f4u1 vs f4u1d
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2006, 09:28:43 AM »
The Hog just might be the most beautiful plane of WW2, along with the Mustang. Those gull wings are just sexy (gazes longingly). That is all

:D :aok

Offline bkbandit

• Nickel Member
f4u1 vs f4u1d
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2006, 10:24:28 PM »
i was watchin a doc the other day about the corsairs, they had some of the pilots on it and they showed one flying. Are cockpit isnt accurate, why???? pacific fighters got it right why cant aces high do the same, they did the jug good and the 51 good(from wat i see) why isnt the corsair right. The pilots they interviewd also said something about the zero, they said it couldnt turn left that good(or was it right). People say dont listen to the docs but how can u tell a old man that flew the thing in the pacific hes wrong. If when of u guys can check that out it would be great.

ALot of hardcore corsair guys argue that the f4u was a better plane then the 51d. But in the aces high world its corsair all day(unless i ahve to babysit bombers for 2 hours:lol ).

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
f4u1 vs f4u1d
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2006, 11:27:48 PM »
Originally posted by bkbandit
i was watchin a doc the other day about the corsairs, they had some of the pilots on it and they showed one flying. Are cockpit isnt accurate, why???? pacific fighters got it right why cant aces high do the same, they did the jug good and the 51 good(from wat i see) why isnt the corsair right.  

The Corsairs will get a new cockpit when the graphics are updated, as has been the P-51s and P-47s.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
f4u1 vs f4u1d
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2006, 11:44:42 PM »
Originally posted by LEADPIG
The Hog just might be the most beautiful plane of WW2, along with the Mustang. Those gull wings are just sexy (gazes longingly). That is all

:D :aok

Traitor

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
f4u1 vs f4u1d
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2006, 01:32:45 AM »
Originally posted by Raptor
Traitor

Lol :D

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
f4u1 vs f4u1d
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2006, 02:50:45 AM »
Originally posted by bkbandit
i was watchin a doc the other day about the corsairs, they had some of the pilots on it and they showed one flying. Are cockpit isnt accurate, why???? pacific fighters got it right why cant aces high do the same, they did the jug good and the 51 good(from wat i see) why isnt the corsair right. The pilots they interviewd also said something about the zero, they said it couldnt turn left that good(or was it right). People say dont listen to the docs but how can u tell a old man that flew the thing in the pacific hes wrong. If when of u guys can check that out it would be great.

ALot of hardcore corsair guys argue that the f4u was a better plane then the 51d. But in the aces high world its corsair all day(unless i ahve to babysit bombers for 2 hours:lol ).

almost every single engine plane ever built, with the exception of some yaks (& griffon powered spits iirc) have the prop turning the same way (not those kewl contrarotating prop planes either), so they all turn left a bit better than the other way at low speed (varies depending on model, trim, etc).
i remember reading some PRO pliot's book a long time ago who said that zeros would always break left if they spotted you about to bounce them & if you knew this it wouldn't make too much difference if they did spot you...

Offline bkbandit

• Nickel Member
f4u1 vs f4u1d
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2006, 04:42:55 AM »
updates please, i want somethin new. I hope it comes soon. Aces high should get that sound pack from waffle and save it on the site. I got it a month ago and dont noe how i played witout them, them really add to the realism of the game. The sounds that come wit the game suck after u heard these.

f4u feels like a hotrod to me, im just waiting to bolt a mr gasket air scoop on the thing and add some blue ghost flames and maybe some magnaflow pipes. Maybe instead of a fresh coat of black i should through some blue on my camaro:lol . Whether u love the corsair or hate it u wont confuse it for any other plane.

Maybe today i will get some game time, its either i cant get time or im playin somethin else, this dam DRIVER parallel lines got me hooked wit those muscle cars.

Offline LEADPIG

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
f4u1 vs f4u1d
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2006, 01:43:40 PM »
Originally posted by Raptor
Traitor

I'm innocent,....... honest !!!!  :D :D :p :p

Offline Hazzer

• Copper Member
      • Fleetwood town F.C. Cod Army
f4u1 vs f4u1d
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2006, 03:15:46 PM »
The F4u 1 was an excellent fighter!The main problem with this early model was the positioning of the mimi bar on he left side of the cockpit,which when fully loaded with Bud would cause dramatic swing to the left on take off,also after consumtion of the mini bar contents most pilots found their vision impaired,and this was not helped by the bird cage hood,This made landings very difficult,and it's no wonder it got the reputatuon as the ensign eliminator!Only able to carry 200 pkts of cigarettes in each wing,but their was a bottle opener on the JOY stick - in case of emergency.

It was the British who solved the problem of the mini bar and the massive swing left on take off!Making it larger to take the more potent British beer,and placing it behind the pilot.this proved effective at all altitudes.The british also added an optional optic which could take Plymouth gin & assorted mixers though most brits found tonic most effective,provision for 600 pkts of woodbines in each wing was considered a big improvement by most pilots though landing was still difficult so  oxygen and alker - seltzer were added and this  imroved matters. On this version the bottle opener was removed for saftey reasons,though cigarette holder and ashtray were provided
"I murmured that I had no Shoes,till I met a man that had no Feet."

Offline Hazzer

• Copper Member
      • Fleetwood town F.C. Cod Army
f4u1 vs f4u1d
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2006, 03:16:53 PM »
2 prototypes based on the F4u1 were the x. aPR version fitted only with an esspreso machine!!!And the ill fated tandem trainer model which carried a fully trained cocktail waitress in the rear,which most students found distracting and so the project was scrapped:confused: :mad:
"I murmured that I had no Shoes,till I met a man that had no Feet."

Offline Reynolds

• Gold Member
      • http://flyingknights.csmsites.com
f4u1 vs f4u1d
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2006, 07:55:42 PM »
Yes, its supposed to be better. The early model of the Corsair was faster, and more manueverable, as well as a more stable gun platform, because, although it had fewer guns, the fuel was still in the wing (Not entirely sire what difference that makes, but according to F4U pilots, it makes it a much better fighter), but, in the later versions, the added one more gun to each wing, and had to move the fuel tanks into the fuselage, which for some reasons reduces performance. Im not sure about the science of it, but thats the what.

Offline Reynolds

• Gold Member
      • http://flyingknights.csmsites.com
f4u1 vs f4u1d
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2006, 08:01:04 PM »
Originally posted by Debonair
almost every single engine plane ever built, with the exception of some yaks (& griffon powered spits iirc) have the prop turning the same way (not those kewl contrarotating prop planes either), so they all turn left a bit better than the other way at low speed (varies depending on model, trim, etc).
i remember reading some PRO pliot's book a long time ago who said that zeros would always break left if they spotted you about to bounce them & if you knew this it wouldn't make too much difference if they did spot you...

Its not just that. If a Zero gets on your tail, DIVE. Wait until you are doing about 400-500mph, then break hard right. He will not be able to follow. The faster a zero goes, the harder it is to turn right. If they ever dive, they will break left. Simple.