Author Topic: Montoya to Nascar in '07  (Read 1174 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Montoya to Nascar in '07
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2006, 09:05:45 PM »
Originally posted by ASTAC
Lesser sport? I will defend the fact that NASCAR has one of the most demanding schedules out there. Plus there are always about twice as many cars starting the race than there are in F1 or indy..Only 5 days between tracks that require much different setups and driving styles..not to mention as they said in "Days of Thunder" NASCARs are twice as heavy, with tires half as wide as Indy and F1.

.............and turn Left.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline KgB

• Silver Member
Montoya to Nascar in '07
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2006, 09:34:19 PM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
Will you stop watching NASCAR because they let a new brand in?  :confused:

I think its time for NASCAR to evolve a little,to use a steering wheel and actually take right turns would be a start.
"It is the greatest inequality to try to make unequal things equal."-Aristotle

Offline KgB

• Silver Member
Montoya to Nascar in '07
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2006, 09:37:57 PM »
they said in "Days of Thunder" NASCARs are twice as heavy, with tires half as wide as Indy and F1.

NASCAR 3000 pounds,  F1 only 500 pounds(they'd make it lighter,but rulles...)
"It is the greatest inequality to try to make unequal things equal."-Aristotle

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Montoya to Nascar in '07
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2006, 03:08:17 AM »
Lesser sport? I will defend the fact that NASCAR has one of the most demanding schedules out there. Plus there are always about twice as many cars starting the race than there are in F1 or indy..Only 5 days between tracks that require much different setups and driving styles..not to mention as they said in "Days of Thunder" NASCARs are twice as heavy, with tires half as wide as Indy and F1.

Did you fail to see that big grin?

I was joking/poking ;)

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Montoya to Nascar in '07
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2006, 03:37:38 AM »
Originally posted by KgB
I think its time for NASCAR to evolve a little,to use a steering wheel and actually take right turns would be a start.

They turn both ways at infineon..(sears point) been racing there for nearly 20 years, and before that at the old Riverside road course in So Cal.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Montoya to Nascar in '07
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2006, 04:33:14 AM »
some other Nascar related news...

NASCAR/Make-A-Wish Partnership Allows Kids To Achieve Dreams Mere Moments Before Death

DAYTONA BEACH, FL June 29, 2006 —NASCAR has announced that their new partnership with the Make-A-Wish Foundation will allow young, terminally ill stock-car-racing fans to spend their last moments on Earth living out their fantasies of driving like Tony Stewart, Jimmie Johnson, and especially all-time favorite Dale Earnhardt. "We wanted to give kids with life-threatening medical conditions the chance to get into a 750-horsepower Nextel Cup car and experience what life is like on the ragged edge—and beyond," NASCAR public-relations associate Todd Linden said while helping a 13-year-old leukemia patient into a specially outfitted Monte Carlo with loose steering, a bad front-end push, and four weak tires. "We believe they deserve a chance to know what driving a race car is like before they die… even immediately before." Replacement cars for the program are paid for by the estate of the late Dale Earnhardt, whose relatives say would have loved to treat kids to the experience.
| Onion Sports
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline ASTAC

• Silver Member
Montoya to Nascar in '07
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2006, 05:51:59 AM »
Originally posted by Holden McGroin
some other Nascar related news...

| Onion Sports

Yeah..you can tell by the language of the story
That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Montoya to Nascar in '07
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2006, 06:10:57 AM »
Har har... I smell fear.

The Toyota comment reminds of some Kiwi friends of mine who joined an on-line NASCAR racing game. The Americans wouldn't race them because it was an 'American' game.

They finally agreed to a team race, and sure enough, the Kiwis whipped their butts and were banned from the server after that.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Montoya to Nascar in '07
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2006, 07:37:36 AM »
Originally posted by Rolex
Har har... I smell fear.

The Toyota comment reminds of some Kiwi friends of mine who joined an on-line NASCAR racing game. The Americans wouldn't race them because it was an 'American' game.

They finally agreed to a team race, and sure enough, the Kiwis whipped their butts and were banned from the server after that.

Exactly, TRD (Toyota Racing Development) will show Ford, GM and Dodge how it's done.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
Montoya to Nascar in '07
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2006, 08:10:04 AM »
TRD has thrown over a billion at F1 and has nothing to show for it.  I wouldn't be so cocky if I were them.  Kinda like Montoya - if you can't hack with the big boys, go play in the kiddy pool.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Montoya to Nascar in '07
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2006, 08:53:01 AM »
I cant seem to find the list, but some of you may.

In F1 its not the team with the most funding that wins. Renault is behind Ferrari, Toyota and McLarren yet they are the best. I suspect that BMW also hs a bigger budget.  Not sure about Honda, but they stink. The Redbull teams have suprised me by doing as well as they are.

Maybe Toyota should stick with building the best and most reliable trucks and offroad cars out there and stay away from high-end motorsports.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Montoya to Nascar in '07
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2006, 09:07:07 AM »
"Maybe Toyota should stick with building the best and most reliable trucks and offroad cars out there and stay away from high-end motorsports."

I hate to burst your bubble, but motorsports is a marketing channel, not a sport. Only the people who pay money to watch it think it is a sport. To everyone else (TV, car manufacturers, aftermarket manufacturers, tire companies, oil companies, T-shirt vendors, soft drink makers, sponsors, drivers, advertisers, newspapers, magazines, websites, etc. ) it is a business built upon people thinking it is a sport. ;)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 09:11:57 AM by Rolex »

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Montoya to Nascar in '07
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2006, 09:22:45 AM »
yup.. that goes for evertying (except the sports i like) ;)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Montoya to Nascar in '07
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2006, 09:28:57 AM »
Originally posted by FUNKED1
TRD has thrown over a billion at F1 and has nothing to show for it.  I wouldn't be so cocky if I were them.  Kinda like Montoya - if you can't hack with the big boys, go play in the kiddy pool.

They have good engines.   Kinda like when McLaren had Honda engines until 93.   Honda had the best engines.    Ford is out of racing engine design since they sold Cosworth.   Now it is contracted out by Roush here in Livonia, Michigan.  

My TRD statement holds true because they have done more engine design for racing than the "Big 3".
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Montoya to Nascar in '07
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2006, 10:58:34 AM »
While I am a NASCAR fan, it has steadily started to go downhill.
It all started when they introduced the restrictor plate and has gown down from there.
Stuff like add on bubble backs to GM's so they can compete to different spoiler heights for each make. It's all a sad deal.
Someone show me the street car version  with fenders that wide.
The NASCAR rules need an enema IMHO.
Sheesh at least make the teams use a rear wheel drive model.

OK rant off.

As far as Toyota getting into it.. It might get the other manufactures off their rear ends and do something.
But what I think will actually happen is the "Big 3" will tag team nascar with whine and restrictions will hurt Toyota.

Bronk
See Rule #4