Author Topic: Touchy UFC question  (Read 558 times)

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Touchy UFC question
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2006, 09:59:33 AM »
I'm sorry gents but I just can't resist.  If Rush Limbaugh made these statements he'd be reguarded as a racisit (remember his short tenure as a sports comentator?) but if a liberal like Nash makes them it's all incitfull and such.  Thus one more example of how your political leanings gives you a pass at NON-pc statements.  

Political comments aside my incite is that UFC is kind of a close nit family of fighters.  IMHO you have to know somone to get into the frey.  It could just be that the sport is just too new that some ethnic groups havn't filtered into it.

That being said (and the following might not be true just and observation) with boxing alot of boxers in the professional arena filter their way up from the amature and local scene IE a guy going to a local gym downtown and fighting at the friday night fights....gets noticed and gets a ticket. This allows for greater opertunity for anyone who goes to the gym and trains  where as UFC fighters usually come from a little more exclusive fighting clubs.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Touchy UFC question
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2006, 04:40:02 PM »
Not in the same league.

Rush Limbaugh said, ""I don't think he's been that good from the get-go. I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL.  I think the media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well.  They're interested in black coaches and black quarterbacks doing well.  I think there's a little hope invested in McNabb and he got a lot of credit for the performance of his team that he really didn't deserve.   The defense carried this team."

Nash asks:

"Why don't ya see any blacks in the UFC? I mean, there's that one guy from Canada.... the Crow or something.... but other than that.... nothing.

Is it something about the fighting style?

I don't get it."

Have a listen to what Frank Deford has to say. It's more along the lines of what Nash was asking rather than what Limbaugh accused.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5551009
sand

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Touchy UFC question
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2006, 05:15:02 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman
Not in the same league.

Rush Limbaugh said, ""I don't think he's been that good from the get-go. I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL.  I think the media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well.  They're interested in black coaches and black quarterbacks doing well.  I think there's a little hope invested in McNabb and he got a lot of credit for the performance of his team that he really didn't deserve.   The defense carried this team."

Nash asks:

"Why don't ya see any blacks in the UFC? I mean, there's that one guy from Canada.... the Crow or something.... but other than that.... nothing.

Is it something about the fighting style?

I don't get it."

Have a listen to what Frank Deford has to say. It's more along the lines of what Nash was asking rather than what Limbaugh accused.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5551009

I think you are playing with semantics here.  If it had been anyone in here with a "right thinking" mind then libs would be lined up to play the race card.

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
Re: Touchy UFC question
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2006, 05:27:32 PM »
dumb thread.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 05:50:22 PM by SunKing »

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
Touchy UFC question
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2006, 05:43:57 PM »
The rule of thumb is: a white guy can't say it, even if it IS obvious- the averge black guy is a heap better athlete then the average white guy. (Fortunately we still have hockey, stock-car racing, and ESPN poker to call our own:lol
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Touchy UFC question
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2006, 05:48:59 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
I think you are playing with semantics here.

The devil is in the detail. ;)
sand

Offline dmf

• Gold Member
Touchy UFC question
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2006, 08:50:41 PM »
Originally posted by WhiteHawk
It would only matter if a certain race were excluded from these events or forced to particiapate simply based on the color of thier skin, aside from that, it isnt racism to express curiosity, if thats what you were implying.

I'm not trying to imply anything, I just don't understand why color has be be a factor in everything we do in this country.