Author Topic: Touchy UFC question  (Read 560 times)

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Touchy UFC question
« on: July 15, 2006, 09:35:10 PM »
I have no idea if this qualifies as being racist or not, but it's Saturday night and scew it I'm going for it!

The unspoken rule in boxing is that ya never bet against the black guy.

Heh.... this is akward.

Why don't ya see any blacks in the UFC? I mean, there's that one guy from Canada.... the Crow or something.... but other than that.... nothing.

Is it something about the fighting style?

I don't get it.

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
Touchy UFC question
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 09:37:48 PM »
Me neither, but don't sweat it Nash, pointing out something that is obvious, like blacks dominating boxing, isn't racist.  Just the way it is in that sport.  

As for UFC, I have no idea.  Ask JohnnyRA, he's into that stuff.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Touchy UFC question
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 01:53:16 AM »
I was watching a highlight reel on the UFC on TV the other night.  I was sort of half-assed keeping tally of how the races were doing by themselves.

Blacks were splitting it even with being beaten to beating someone else.

Whites were doing the same.

Though ironically, asians were getting the **** kicked out of them as a whole.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 01:55:45 AM by lasersailor184 »
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
Touchy UFC question
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 04:36:21 AM »
Blacks are too busy dominating every other sport.

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
Touchy UFC question
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 06:14:49 AM »
The poor have always dominated sports...professional and otherwise.

The children of successful classes spend their time in front of computer monitors, playing electronic games.

In addition, blacks are driven to excel at sports.  They would be tremendous athletes in any case...but they also have something to prove.

And say what you will about the political incorrectness of this next statement, there is the distinct possibility that it is true.  The institution of slavery weeds out the weaklings.  To begin with, slave buyers or traders would selectively buy only the stronges slaves available in the west African markets.  From the deadly trip across the Atlantic on a crowded slave ship to the terrible physical grind of day-to-day drudgery, slaves lived an existence that cleaned up the gene pool.

Mankind is part of the natural world gentlemen.  The fact that dogs and horses can be bred for selective traits, such as size, speed, and intelligence...raises the question of "then why not man?"

Offline WhiteHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Touchy UFC question
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 06:18:48 AM »
There are alot of blacks in pride fighting, which is japanese version of UFC.  It pays much better.  I think the light heavy champ is black.  "Rampage" Jackson.

Offline dmf

• Gold Member
Touchy UFC question
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 06:49:40 AM »
Does it really even matter what the color of a mans skin is when he's getting his butt kicked on tv?
Or any other time?

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Touchy UFC question
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 06:56:50 AM »
Originally posted by FUNKED1
Blacks are too busy dominating every other sport.

And this is why I don't watch Hockey anymore!!!!

:huh

Mac

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
Touchy UFC question
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 07:00:30 AM »
I wanna see Bob Sapp in the UFC.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Touchy UFC question
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 07:52:18 AM »
Originally posted by Shuckins
And say what you will about the political incorrectness of this next statement, there is the distinct possibility that it is true.  The institution of slavery weeds out the weaklings.  To begin with, slave buyers or traders would selectively buy only the stronges slaves available in the west African markets.  From the deadly trip across the Atlantic on a crowded slave ship to the terrible physical grind of day-to-day drudgery, slaves lived an existence that cleaned up the gene pool.

Mankind is part of the natural world gentlemen.  The fact that dogs and horses can be bred for selective traits, such as size, speed, and intelligence...raises the question of "then why not man?"

Shuckins...you have some very valid points.

There is an island near Dominica where slaves traders set up a breeding center.  They bred big strapping lads and shipped them over to work on the various plantations in the Caribbean and Americas.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline WhiteHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Touchy UFC question
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 08:27:37 AM »
Originally posted by Swoop
I wanna see Bob Sapp in the UFC.

wow, that dude is a monster.  However, he gets gassed real easy.  I saw a brazilian guy, nuegero or something like that, submit him with a kumera.  (fancy word for 'bend the sht out of ones arm').  Would love to see Neugero fight wanderleigh silva.  Classic striker vs submission master.

Offline WhiteHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Touchy UFC question
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 08:31:09 AM »
Originally posted by dmf
Does it really even matter what the color of a mans skin is when he's getting his butt kicked on tv?
Or any other time?

It would only matter if a certain race were excluded from these events or forced to particiapate simply based on the color of thier skin, aside from that, it isnt racism to express curiosity, if thats what you were implying.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
nash, you worry about your pc level a bit too much ...
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 08:53:31 AM »
sounds like a Jimmy the Greek question :)

ufc is not boxing

you do not see many black wrestlers in college either

what's the percentage of them in the martial arts fighting world?

I think Funked has it right though, give them time ...
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Bruno

• Silver Member
      • http://4jg53.org
Re: Touchy UFC question
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2006, 09:38:08 AM »
Originally posted by Nash
I have no idea if this qualifies as being racist or not, but it's Saturday night and scew it I'm going for it!

The unspoken rule in boxing is that ya never bet against the black guy.

Heh.... this is akward.

Why don't ya see any blacks in the UFC? I mean, there's that one guy from Canada.... the Crow or something.... but other than that.... nothing.

Is it something about the fighting style?

I don't get it.

There's plenty of blacks in the UFC.  They just aren't (playing on liberal phraseology) 'overly represented'. However, the UFC doesn't pay as much as other combat sports, in particular boxing for example.

Then there's the limited popularity of the sport in general. Right now in the UFC there's a huge 'performance gap' between those on the top and those who would be described as 'average'. In fact the past few UFC XX's have been poor because it seems they are have trouble putting together a decent 'card'. The UFC series, with the exception of the first season (maybe because it was new), has been horrible for the most part. Comparing that with something like the Contender it is sometimes too amateurish to even watch. Granted the Contender with its edited fights and artistic 'dressing up' was designed to keep the viewers attention unlike the the UFC show where WYSIWYG.

FYI, Contender II should be out soon on ESPN.

Back to the 'lack of blacks'... Lack of exposure to MMA or the various disciplines is limited as well. As opposed to boxing where gym's are all over, at least in urban areas.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Touchy UFC question
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2006, 09:44:22 AM »
A friend of mine who watches UFC religiously told me the other day that a disproportionate number of UFC fighters come from the Portland,OR area.  

If this is true, that might explain it, as Oregon is a very very white state.  There seems to be 'Bleach in the water' is something I've heard.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis