Author Topic: Joining the Air Force  (Read 451 times)

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Joining the Air Force
« on: July 14, 2006, 03:56:32 PM »
A good friend of mine, who is 20 years old, would like to join the Air Force.  He wants to go in as an enlisted airman and learn a skill so that he can have a career when he gets out.  My friend is in very good physical shape, and a people-person.

So whats a good job to have in the air force that provides a good career in civilian life?

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Joining the Air Force
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 04:02:19 PM »
any of them ...
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
Joining the Air Force
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 04:05:07 PM »
Tell him to study and do well on his ASVAB. The better he does on the ASVAB the better the job he will get.
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
Joining the Air Force
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 04:06:33 PM »
He will have a hard time getting in.....AF is kicking out a large amount of people and not looking for more....

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Joining the Air Force
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 04:07:11 PM »
I appreciate your response.  But the fact of the matter is that another of my friends spent 7 years in the Air Force.  He even earned his degree afterwards.  Now hes working part-time manual labor.

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Joining the Air Force
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 04:09:15 PM »
Avionics Maintenace!!!!

Cash Money!

:aok

Best friend of mine in the Army was a Huey Crewy..Crew Chief.

Saved each others arses a few times... but that's a different story...

After he got out he went into making Aircraft parts.. now he's a Team Chief/Supv on clearing AC for flight.

Best friend anyone could ever have.

Have your friend check out Avionics Repair... Pilots are over rated.

Just a lil advice,

Mac

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Joining the Air Force
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 04:13:11 PM »
Good info AWmac.  

Heres my friends situation, in a little more detail.  We both work for United Parcel Service at the main air hub in Louisville, KY.  Would the skills a person learns in the Air Force allow him to work on large jets?

Offline BGBMAW

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Joining the Air Force
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 04:16:16 PM »
hell yes..AF uses the biggest most powerful stuff out there

after u learn the C-5s and such..everything is will be cake walk

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
Joining the Air Force
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 04:17:07 PM »
Depends on what he gets into. Considering the Airforce is made up of a mjority of larger jets Id say he's got a really good chance of working on them.
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Joining the Air Force
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 04:17:27 PM »
If planes need to fly, they need Maintenance....

UPS, FEDEX, BOEING, RATHON... The list goes on....

Best of luck to your friend....

If you want more info email me or PM me.

Mac

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Joining the Air Force
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 04:22:45 PM »
I was going to say something about the guy who keeps the flight line taught, but.....
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Joining the Air Force
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 04:27:08 PM »
Dam good song..... Tuggin the Line...

:D

Mac

Offline firbal

• Nickel Member
Joining the Air Force
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2006, 05:59:53 PM »
You still need an FAA Airframe Powerplant license when you leave the military. I got my Airframe with my military experance. Had to go to school to get the powerplant add. You just need to find one of those prep schools that will help you take the FAA exam after you get FAA appoval to take the test. Thats with your military experance. I haven't really had to use my license, but it helped me get into the door for 3 of my jobs.
Fireball
39th Fighter Squadron "Cobras in the Clouds"

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Joining the Air Force
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2006, 06:10:58 PM »
100 years ago when Ijoined the USAF. If you went into aircraft maint, they gave you a choice of tactical/fighter type, or bomber/cargo types.

They may still give you that choice. Just from experiance... Unless he is intrested in aviation stay away from the flight line. The hours are long it's ethier too hot and dry, or too cold and wet. The guy in the CPBO with the same rank as you crewing a keyboard , is working half the hours and the same money

However if your friend loves aircraft , theres no place better than the flightline.:aok

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Re: Joining the Air Force
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2006, 07:01:54 PM »
Originally posted by AquaShrimp
A good friend of mine, who is 20 years old, would like to join the Air Force.  He wants to go in as an enlisted airman and learn a skill so that he can have a career when he gets out.  My friend is in very good physical shape, and a people-person.

So whats a good job to have in the air force that provides a good career in civilian life?

ha ha ha,

Well let me  let you give him a bit of advise.  Come here (Basic Military Training) prepared so you don't waist my time.  

Be able to run a 1.5 mile run in under 11:00
Be able to do a minimum of 50 push ups in 1 minute
be able to do a minimum of 50 crunches in 1 minute

Ensure he brings with him:

-enough civilian clothes to last 3 days (ensure the footware fits properly, no cowboy boots and NO BAGGY PANTS)
-calling card
-ATM/Debit card and a blank check for that account
-a few small personal items (pictures, religous medalions ect)
-Enough toiletries to last a weekl (IE soap shampoo toothpaste shaving cream and razor)
-Shave your head before you get here and ensure you have no prominent facial hair

After BMT there's a multitude of jobs.  The biggest carreer field in the USAF is Security Forces.  He would be a cop and would have the highest probability of seeing combat in Iraq (besides any special forces jobs)

That's not a bad job but if he's looking for anything more technical just about every A/C mait. job can eventually lead to an AMP license and ammount to a good job on the outside.

There's also Air Traffic Control as well.  

What BlueJ said is essential.  If he is a rock he will end up "open general" and will end up in Services or Security Forces.