Author Topic: Hezbollah Drones  (Read 609 times)

Offline Bluefish

• Copper Member
Hezbollah Drones
« on: July 14, 2006, 07:21:56 PM »
Just saw the news report about the Israeli missile boat that was apparently hit by an explosive-carrying "drone" launched by Hezbollah.

My recollection of earlier stories is that the drones previously flown over Israel by Hezbollah were remotely piloted ultralights which were evidently invisibile to radar.

Assuming this is true, what are the best methods of detection and destruction?

My own best guess would be thermal sights (they've probably got enough of a heat differential vs. the background sky to be visible, even if they've got the engine off) and a manually aimed .30 cal. minigun.

Maybe the USN better be thinking of something along these lines if we ever have to mix it up with Hezbollah's Iranian paymasters in the Persian Gulf.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Hezbollah Drones
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 07:40:16 PM »
the next world war is very clearly taking shape.  I just hope we dont wait until the islamers have a stockpile of nuclear tipped ICBMs.  Those folks need to get thrown off the ship before they sink the damned thing with all of us on board.

I wish Israel would just destroy the whole lot of them.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Hezbollah Drones
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 07:50:50 PM »
How could an ultra-light not be visible to radar?

U.S. ships have such good radar that Phalanx missle systems were shooting down seagulls.

Offline Bluefish

• Copper Member
Hezbollah Drones
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 07:53:07 PM »
Good point, Shrimp; I've also heard about ol' R2 shooting up porpoises.  However,  I don't know if the Israeli boats have a CIWS on board.  Apparently the earlier ultralight flights were over land.

Offline WhiteHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Hezbollah Drones
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 09:08:21 PM »
WWIII opening salvo happened sept 11 , 2001.  The US has positioned itself very nicely to deal with the main event that is coming soon.  The only question is will china sit on the sidelines while we castrate iran and N korea.  I am pretty confident they will, as they have tasted a bit of US capitalism through trade.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Hezbollah Drones
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 09:08:23 PM »
The news I saw this evening said there is no confirmation it was a drone. It could have been a rocket or artillery.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Hezbollah Drones
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 09:34:13 PM »
Originally posted by Maverick
The news I saw this evening said there is no confirmation it was a drone. It could have been a rocket or artillery.
News I saw called it a drone, but no details on what type. First thing I thought of was the remote control Cessna type that Iraq had pre-OIF. I could see a warship hesitant on firing on a slow small civilian craft.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Hezbollah Drones
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2006, 01:37:49 AM »
Originally posted by Bluefish
Good point, Shrimp; I've also heard about ol' R2 shooting up porpoises.  However,  I don't know if the Israeli boats have a CIWS on board.  Apparently the earlier ultralight flights were over land.

Some of them do. I know the corvettes and missile craft do, but im not sure about the smaller vessels. Until we find out what class of ship was hit I cant tell you for sure.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Hezbollah Drones
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2006, 02:08:01 AM »
Originally posted by AquaShrimp
How could an ultra-light not be visible to radar?

U.S. ships have such good radar that Phalanx missle systems were shooting down seagulls.

Sounds like hype.
sand

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Hezbollah Drones
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 02:39:01 AM »
Dunno about current weapons systems, but I witnessed this incident.

During REFTRA in 1979, I was on the crew (projectile loader) of a Mk51 5" gun on our cutter. We were using radar guidance to fire on a jet dragging a drone chute. We actually hit the tow cable and parted it. The Mk51 gun director radar continued to track the chute and we fired all the way to the sea.

Granted, a target chute and a bird are 2 different things. But, if junky old Vietnam era equiptment can accurately track small targets, I don't see why state of the art weapons can't do the same.

And BTW, Phalanx is not a missile system. It's a 20MM gatlin thats more deadly and accurate than the old Mk51 system. As a matter of fact the Phalanx replaced the Mk51 as the main gun on my old ship.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Hezbollah Drones
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2006, 02:55:39 AM »
Good info.  I meant to type "anti-missle" system.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Hezbollah Drones
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2006, 03:03:47 AM »
First news I saw was the dude from Hezbolland saying: "You think you Israelis are so funny? Check this out - we are gonna **** up one of your boats. How's about them apples? Hows that for funny?"

Immediately following his announcement was a report that an Israeli ship got manhandled by some bottle rocket.

Following that was a report that said "well actually, no.... the bottle rocket skipped off the deck and blew the snot out of an Egyptian boat well over yonder."

Who knows what to believe with these guys? Some of it has gotta be right..... right?

I aint used to this crap. I long for the olden days when I knew that everything they said was bull.

Ya gotta admit, though.... this is the perfect follow-up to the World Cup. All ya need here is the refs running all over the place waving red cards around.

"Illegal bottle rocket - You're OUTTA HERE!"

Offline Bluefish

• Copper Member
Hezbollah Drones
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2006, 09:59:56 AM »
Well, the latest news is that it was an Iranian C802 missile that hit a SAAR class missile boat. http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3275923,00.html

Based on what I could find, the C802 is a shore to ship variation of a Chinese missile based originally on the Exocet http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/china/c-801.htm

Interestingly, apparently all SAAR class boats carry the Phalanx, http://www.answers.com/topic/saar-4-class-missile-boat.

From what I've heard (and seen in Dangerous Waters) you have to be pretty careful when you activate the Phalanx because of the danger of engaging friendlies.  I wonder if they even had it turned on?

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Hezbollah Drones
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2006, 01:54:13 PM »
I'd bet they have it on now........
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Hezbollah Drones
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2006, 02:07:58 PM »
Tell me if I have this right... they can hit an Israeli ship offshore with a rocket and yet they send inDUHviduals into Israeli market places strapped with explosives to kill?

What's wrong with this picture? Guess the rocket doesn't get the 70 Virgins?

Just to take one step back.. you guys tell me.  Could you live with 70 Virgins in the Kitchen?  Imagine the screaming and crap...  you'd never have the hot wings ready for the game.... Imagine trying to sleep at night..atleast 69 Virgins are gonna voice their opinions and hell if I could finish anything over all that stuff..

"Mac you didn't say you loved me" "Mac am I prettier" "Mac they don't love you like I do..." "Mac...Mac.... Mac"

To me wasting my life to be with 70 Virgins would be Hell!!!

Thank Gawd for LukeFish...Nilsen you must be the Messiah!!!!

* he has a Beard as no one else has...

* he has preached....

* he has brought lukefish to mine eyes...

* late at nite he speaks in tongues...*ask his wifey*

Nilsen Haar!!!!

:aok

Mac
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 02:10:00 PM by AWMac »