Author Topic: Shark attacks and the media  (Read 1872 times)

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
Shark attacks and the media
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2001, 01:59:00 PM »
That is some exciting diving! Especially alone, Geez  :)

I'm one for solo diving too... as long as you use at least two anchors. In spearfishing you always wind up alone anyway. I've had some mishaps, though, in spite of being careful.
One time, I was changing tanks in the water with a tank I that I had layed over the transom earlier so I wouldn't have to go back in the  boat. The seas were 3 to 4 foot. The boat, transom and tank were going up and down, up and down. Next thing I know, the tank came down on my head. It didn't knock me out, but it really dazed me, and turned the water red. I missed having somebody to help me get into the boat, as I had no ladder at the time.

Another time at 85 feet on the bottom I had speared a nice big hogfish and was braining him with my knife. The knife slipped and went deep into my forearm. I felt sick when I saw the pulsing lime green smoke puffing out of my arm in big clouds. It was three hours before I got that sewn up. It would have been nice to have somebody there to help me pull up the hundreds of feet of anchor line :/

Ironically, I don't see many sharks at all down here in Florida, not at sport diving depths. I don't know why. I see some black tips and hammerheads in the winter, but few and far between. One time in winter trolling for King Mackeral, a six foot hammerhead swimming on the surface was on an intercept course with my boat. It kept coming and coming until he banged right into the side of my boat. I couldn't believe my eyes. I have no idea what that was all about. Other than that, it sounds like all shark action in Florida is in the surf...  :)
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline VFJACKAL

• Copper Member
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2001, 08:57:00 PM »
Lakes and Blue holes of concrete that take a bit of chlorine and a pump. Thats all youll catch me in. I spent 4 years at sea in the navy. Saw tons of Sharks from the North Atlantic to the Caribian. It's there world and I'm not playing in it. If they attack its out of hunger or fear. I know some disagree but you willl find very few species that are "That agressive".
As said in an earlier post. go in there world and you become part of there food chain.  ;)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2001, 09:14:00 AM »
Don't feed the sharks
 http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,33819,00.html

Funny how some think this will help considering the sharks don't attack the divers who are feeding them. It may be like our gator problem whereas ppl feeding them around ponds and lakes have lowered the natural fear gators have of ppl and equate ppl with food..
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder