Author Topic: Did you ever wonder why they interned Japanese,Germans and Italians?  (Read 1240 times)

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Did you ever wonder why they interned Japanese,Germans and Italians?
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2001, 10:26:00 PM »
At Beale AFB in North Cal, There were interened Germans during WW2 in a small camp. Not much left of the camp but it has a little history marker at one of the cell blocks on the installation. Dont know how many German/Euro total at the camp, but these gusy werent there for any personal crime, just being German was enough.

And for the argument that We were racist against the Japanese, well I guess so, but the Germans/Italians didnt launch a ferocious sneak attack on US soil killing thousands either. That tended to insight a little "racism" if you will.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2001, 12:49:00 AM »
Tiny was already my hero after the first story.

<S!> Tiny!
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2001, 02:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by -ammo-:
And for the argument that We were racist against the Japanese, well I guess so, but the Germans/Italians didnt launch a ferocious sneak attack on US soil killing thousands either. That tended to (incite) a little "racism" if you will.

No excuse.  None whatsoever.  You don't intern your own - unless with due cause.  Besides, I don't believe it was the surprise attack that evoked such blind rage at the Japanese as the fact that we didn't understand their culture.  Nor did they understand ours.  Hence, total no-quarter warfare due in large part to propaganda and generalization.

Rip,
It's one thing to jail those who would threaten their own country, or host country, but quite another to intern anyone based on ethnic background - which is what happened to Americans of Japanese descent in WWII.  I have very strong feelings about the WTC massacre, but I'm not about to foment hatred or paranoia(and I'm not saying you're spreading hatred around, Rip.  It's just the direction that a lot of these threads seem to be going).  It's not going to do anything for me anyway, except turn me into the flipside of the Al Queda.  I'd rather base my decisions on priciples and facts, then go about seeing them through.  Some things you have to let ride, since you're powerless to do anything about it anyway - at least in a fashion that would benefit a society.  Often in situations like these, the best thing to do is to set an example of what you believe this world should be like, and how you think people should treat one another.  Words only last until the next eloquently convincing article.  Examples leave an imprint on our souls.

Of course, you've heard this all before, but I felt it needed to be said here.
ingame: Raz

Offline Montezuma

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2001, 04:06:00 AM »

Dont know how many German/Euro total at the camp, but these gusy werent there for any personal crime, just being German was enough.

Revisionist garbage.

Germans (and all others) suspected of anti-American activities were arrested.  They were given hearings.

Japanese-Americans in western states were put in camps without any suspicion at all, except their race.