Author Topic: al sharpton...  (Read 2930 times)

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
al sharpton...
« Reply #105 on: September 10, 2001, 05:18:00 PM »
Highflyer,
  I can relate to the frustration at whinny people wanting the gov't to fix all their troubles for them, even at the expense of the rights of others, but the "ship 'em home" thing was a bit over the top. Exactly what 'home' would you ship them to. Some blacks are fine people and some are whinny sob's who like the roll of the victim and will find someway to stay there no matter how much you try to be fair with them (all races have both kinds of people, I’m not going to get into the argument over which races have what proportion of what kind).
But even the whinny ones are whinny Americans and we need to either wise them up or ignore them and let them whine, ‘cause whether you like it or not this is as much their home as ours.

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
al sharpton...
« Reply #106 on: September 10, 2001, 05:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Yoj:
Yeesh!  This thread is getting downright distasteful.  You gents can have it.

- Yoj

lol!!!!  you do tend to take the high road yoj - moreso than most.

but, buttering up your supporters:

"Capt. I admire your idealism"

"Ispar put a finger on an important point"

"And Krush (hiya bud!) also has a very good point"

"Narsus I agree completely"

"I'm glad you don't have to deal with it - you strike me as someone who would be bothered by it"

....and making veiled jabs at your detractors, not to mention actually invoking the slippery slope argument(a hideous logic fallacy) by name is no more civilized than the folk you are criticizing it is just hidden behind a screen of wordsmithing.

so don't play the poor offended gentleman with delicate sensibilities.

as much as i hate to quote the boring blowhard bob dylan: "we always did feel the same we just saw it from different point of view" he pretty much nails it there.

i don't doubt you really think you are doing the best thing(a veiled jab from me there) and for that i give credit for intention regardless, but don't patronize the guy who says "go back to africa" as some distasteful heathen.

when you do you're just downing him to elevate yourself and that's not level. if you enter a topic like this you are bound toget honest talk and it's not always going to generate good feelings.

<S> anyway - as hard as it is for me to do that, we are just a community looking for solutions and no one hates anyone i don't think, you just have a lot of passionate voices. better than apathy i guess.

;)

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
al sharpton...
« Reply #107 on: September 10, 2001, 05:31:00 PM »
<S> anyway - as hard as it is for me to do that, we are just a community looking for solutions and no one hates anyone i don't think, you just have a lot of passionate voices. better than apathy i guess.

Hey, was that some sort of jab at me??  :D

Offline Yoj

• Copper Member
al sharpton...
« Reply #108 on: September 10, 2001, 05:47:00 PM »
I accept the salute and return it.  I do expect "plain talk" here.  I say again the supposed veiled barbs you saw are in your mind, not in my intent.  The "go back to Africa" thing was just too much a stab from the past for me - I know he didn't mean it as a serious suggestion, but you have no idea how many times I have heard it and it was always meant to be demeaning.  It probably wasn't here, but its awfully close to home.  

If you're right that this is just a community seeking answers, its more likely to have a chance with dialog and not diatribe - and not by having a lot of people agree with one another either.  This has been an interesting thread for me - I just felt like it was moving away from dialog and towards a blind shouting match.  As I said in a PS, its unlikely I'm going to convince any of you, and you're sure not convincing me, so it seems a good time to let it die.  

Or return it to its original intent of Sharpton-bashing, which I'd gladly join you in, except he's not worth the effort.

- Yoj

Offline mietla

• Gold Member
al sharpton...
« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2001, 06:08:00 PM »
THE END.