Author Topic: Help pick my next controller!  (Read 1689 times)

Offline Good

• Zinc Member
Help pick my next controller!
« on: July 25, 2006, 10:50:10 PM »
After a month and a half of AH, I am hooked. Unfortunately the creaky old Sidewinder joystick that I used back in 1997 for AW is not cutting it anymore. Luckily, I have birthday money. :aok

So here's where you all come in. If you had around $150 to blow on a stick or stick/throttle combo, what would you buy and why?

Thanks
Goodson

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 11:10:19 PM »
If all you have is $150. Then the Saiteck would seem the obvious choice

But if you can add some money to that I'd go CH.

In fact thats the direction Im going to go if I can ever get a month without a SURPRISE bill popping up.
Two months ago I needed my main sewer line snaked...All 75 feet of it
Last month is was a new Dryer.
this month it was a refrigerator.

Fortunately Im starting to run out of things that can breakdown LOL
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Flit

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 11:22:27 PM »
Go CH
 Save your change and get pedals in 3 months
 then your set

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 01:38:13 AM »
Put the $150 in ur pocket nothing beats a sidewinder!  hee hee   :aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 05:58:13 AM »
if you do a search you will find that $150 will come close to picking up an USB Fighter Stick and USB Pro Throtle by CH products ( they run roughly $87.00 to $95.00 each )

at the various following online stores:

NewEgg
Provantage
SecureMart

may be a few other online stores I am unaware of too.......
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline moneyguy

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 06:51:12 AM »
i use a Saitek X52 and CH pedals. works great for me. although i wonder how Saitek's new pedals are.

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 12:35:59 PM »
Go CH throttle stick and pedals. Best to be had.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline AutoPilot

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 01:32:14 PM »
Unfortunately the creaky old Sidewinder joystick that I used back in 1997 for AW is not cutting

Just buy another sidewinder, heck buy 2 of them i did!

This person is selling them brand new in the box, they ship to you in about a week after pay pal confirmation goes through.If you bought a new computer back in the late 90's and you wanted the game package they sent you 5 games and a microsoft sidewinder stick.It even comes with the usb adapter and all.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MICROSOFT-SIDEWINDER-PRECISION-PRO-JOYSTICK-GAMES_W0QQitemZ230002645855QQihZ013QQcategoryZ3677QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 01:34:15 PM by AutoPilot »

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 01:47:40 PM »
For complete CH setup, you'll need around $3-400 dollars.

I'd buy SAITEK X-52 and a pair of CH Pro pedals.

When you get some more money, buy the CH stick and throttle. :)
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 01:53:26 PM »
Okay, somebody who's used both please reply:

IGNORING the rudder action (pretend you've got rudder pedals) what would you say is better, the x52 or the x45? What are the main difference? From what I recall the major change was the inclusion of a twist-rudder motion.

Offline icemaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 02:01:20 PM »
CH is the only way to fly. It will be the best and last controll set you every buy.
Army of Das Muppets     
Member DFC Furballers INC. If you cant piss with big dogs go run with the pack

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 02:05:01 PM »
Krusty...

I found the HUGE difference in spring action a major relief when I moved from the 45 to the 52. I was always frustrated with the 45, but immediately loved the 52.

For me, the 45's tighter springs meant jerky motions in close, even with tweaked software settings. In the center, all was well...but when i reached the edge of the spring action I'd have to increase the pressure to get the spring to move. As soon as I go the spring to move, it kicked a good distnace...so smooth control was very tough.

On the 52, the springs are silky smooth, dont affect movement at all.

The other differences ae minor. The trim wheels are tighter and the center detent is subtle on the 52, so its a bit harder to use them for manual trim. The LCD display isnt all that useful, although I didi program it to show time in London and Tokyo, just for kicks.

Not sure about durability on the 52, but I went through 2 X45s in 15months when the view hats lost a direction.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 02:06:45 PM »
Maybe so for a throttle quadrant or a rudder set, but I honestly hate the layout of their sticks. I've never groped one or anything, but I've browsed their webpage and all their sticks are bare, with few buttons. Oh sure they give you about 4 8-way hats, but if you actually want to use them they come out to 4-way hats (too imprecise to hit the 1/8 angles in a hurry), and they look uncomfortable to reach up with your thumb to hit the hats.

They may last for a long time, but they COST more than 5 normal sticks, and they don't look like they're "all that" (practical function wise)

^-- repeat, I've never used one but that's what they LOOK LIKE by looking at them.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2006, 02:09:29 PM »
Simarl:

Thanks for the review. I can never afford anything like that (or I'd have it by now) but it's always nice to window shop and know exactly what version you'd get, if you could. Of the two the 52 sounds a little better.

Do they sell X52s without the throttles? Just the sticks?

I think it would be interesting to have the CH 4-throttle quadrant, the x52, and some pedals.

Offline Good

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2006, 02:44:27 PM »
Wow, thanks for all the info so far.

At this point, I'm leaning towards CH. My last stick was an old 2-button CH and it was incredibly reliable. One question though. Do the CH fighterstick and combatstick have twisty rudders? I ask becasue buying pedals right now may be more than the wallet and the wife can stand.

Thanks
Goodson