Author Topic: X45 setup problems  (Read 561 times)

Offline eh

• Copper Member
X45 setup problems
« on: July 28, 2006, 07:04:49 PM »
I just bought a Saitek X45 to replace a malfunctioning MSFFPro. I am having real problems mapping the X45 (which does promise to be an excellent stick) in Aces High.

How do you get the Mode function to work in Aces High? If I can just do that, I can figger the rest out. The mode switch (on the throttle) doesn't work, at least in Aces High. If I try to program any of the other buttons (such as Aux 1 on the throttle) to switch between modes, nothing happens.

Hours of trying to figure out how to set Mode on the X45 makes me want to pay for another MSFFPro on eBay, no matter what the cost!!!!!!!!

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
X45 setup problems
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 07:13:56 PM »
The Mode switch only works in the Saitek SST programing software, which works by macros.

To switch Aces High modes, you have to map keys to switch between modes.

I wish they'd change the name back to "stick set" for just that reason. :o
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
X45 setup problems
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 09:44:26 PM »
You CAN get the mode and aux switches to work without the software.  I've successfully mapped mine through ACES HIGH.

My only problem is that if i plug in my joystick then load aces high, they don't work properly.  I have to reboot after I plug it in and then the switches work great.  I think this may be some kind of directX glitch and I don't know if it's my computer in general or if it's a global X45 glitch.. (don't really care) but just to be safe do this.

Plug it in... reboot.

Then try to set it up.  I have my MODES set to stick modes... 1/2/3 - 1 for planes, 2 for vehicles and 3 for gunner/chute.  I also have my "open bomb bay door" button (the one with the flapper cover) set to access mode 4 from gunner mode-3... for bombers (just like mode 1 except trigger fires all weapons instead of only primary).  Confused yet?  then don't worry about it hehe.

My aux switch is set (for now) 1- nothing  2- enter 3- O.. that way if i cycle it back and forth quickly i eject and open chute, except for mode 2 (vehicle).. in which I have it set for 1 - main position 2 - turret position  3 - MG position.. anyways.. it's up to you how to set it all.

When you map your controls, instead of pressing a button like you normally would do, just move the slider.  AH sees the slider switch as a single button press, so it's rough to set it for brakes for example, when you'd have to hold down a button.  There is a bug, and I think it's direct X instead of aces high, because it lists the sliders as (from within AH):

AUX 1
AUX 2
AUX 3

MODE 1
MODE 2
MODE 2

yes this is not a type, it lists MODE 2 twice, just keep in mind that the bottom MODE 2 is really MODE 3.  Cycle the switch and make sure the correct MODE lights up in the AH mapping menu, and assign accordingly.

If I don't reboot after plugging in my X45, for some reason AH sees my MODE slider under AUX2 and AUX3, but position 1 does not work, nor does any of my AUX sliders.  It also lists my MODE1/MODE2/MODE3 properly but they don't work.

Don't ask me why.. but it's not an inconvenience to me, as I have a separate user name set up just for AH (with a minimal 13 processes running).. so I just plug it in under my normal name, then reboot and LOGON to my GAMER name.

Good luck.

Offline eh

• Copper Member
X45 setup problems
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 03:14:12 AM »
Thanks all for your help.

I really dont understand why it is so difficult, and I think that newbies must be driven away from the game because of this.

I am achieving a lot of success by using the SST software and making a list of all the keyboard commands and using those to program the SST software to the stick. If the keyboard commands do not exist such as "fire primary", "fire secondary" etc,. I create key commands in AH then program to my stick using the SST software.

Jeebus, it should never be this difficult!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does HiTech really want to drive newbies away from the game????????????

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
X45 setup problems
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 03:45:50 AM »
I don't see why you don't just use the regular in game stick setup, but to each his own, I guess.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline eh

• Copper Member
X45 setup problems
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 10:54:12 AM »
OOZ, I assume you are talking about the defaults assigned by Aces High. They don't do what I need, and if I try to map settings to the stick by using the controller map, the settings don't "stick" from one instance of Aces High to the next. I suspect that's what Tigger29 is experiencing. His solution of rebooting works for him, but it's 'way too awkward for me.

So, I found happiness and success by making a list of all the things that I wanted the stick to do, finding out what the keyboard commands for them are (and creating a few of my own), and then I mapped the keyboard commands to the stick's (SST) software. If I were a new player I would never have thought of that.

Even then, it took hours because I had to test the stick each time I tried a few settings. Because the SST software can be programmed outside of AH, it meant constant starting, exiting and restarting of AH and then testing offline to see if I got it right.

Now all I need are some shoulder muscles from Arnold Schwarzenegger: WOW that throttle is stiff!

Anyway, thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
X45 setup problems
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 01:13:52 PM »
Originally posted by eh
Now all I need are some shoulder muscles from Arnold Schwarzenegger: WOW that throttle is stiff!

Adjust the screw on the bottom.

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
X45 setup problems
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 01:32:44 PM »
With Dhauzimmer's X36/X45-driver and XD-profile I can alt+tab from AH to the XD and edit, compile & load new profile to the driver. Then just alt+tab back to the AH for testing.

Offline eh

• Copper Member
X45 setup problems
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 06:23:14 PM »
Adjust the screw on the bottom

THANKS! I can't believe that I was stupid enough not to turn the thing upside down to have a look, but there you are!

Xjazz With Dhauzimmer's X36/X45-driver and XD-profile I can alt+tab from AH to the XD and edit, compile & load new profile to the driver. Then just alt+tab back to the AH for testing.

Thanks for the info. I will try the alt+tab routine.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
X45 setup problems
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 10:45:09 PM »
Originally posted by eh
THANKS! I can't believe that I was stupid enough not to turn the thing upside down to have a look, but there you are!

You aren't alone. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who noticed it. :rolleyes:

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
X45 setup problems
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 05:28:45 AM »
Originally posted by eh
... if I try to map settings to the stick by using the controller map, the settings don't "stick" from one instance of Aces High to the next.

If that happens, check your game folder and make sure its not write protected.

Im using a X45 as well, never installed the Saitek Software. I mapped it with the ingame setup - took me all of half an hour to map all buttons/rotaries.

The Mode and Aux switches work like buttons in AH - i guess you could just map them to "Switch Mode" functions if you want to use them as toggle for different set ups.

As for noobs being driven away.... i do not think so. The basic stick setup  is VERY easy and clear to understand i think. It might be a little more complicated if you want fancy functions mapped to rotaries, sliders or such... but īthats something a new player doesnt need to worry about (yet. They got other problems :).
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
X45 setup problems
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2006, 07:53:55 PM »
No the axis and button assignments all stick... the problem is the way aces high see the slider switches...

If I plug in the joystick and run AH, if i switch the MODE switch, it sees it as an AUX switch... and if I switch the AUX switch, nothing happens.

BUT if I plug in joystick, then reboot computer, everything works perfect.

but no matter what, all other buttons and all axis' work perfectly.

Dangdest thing i've ever seen, I tell you hwhat!

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
X45 setup problems
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 07:55:26 PM »
Try plugging the stick in and running Windows Update. There is a newer version of the driver than is sold on CD.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
X45 setup problems
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 07:51:17 PM »
Been there, done that.. not worried about it.  I always reboot anyway before I play.. to clear memory, etc and to log onto my gamer username so I just remember to plug in the X45 before I do so.. no biggie.

Thanks for the advice though!

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
X45 setup problems
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 02:28:58 AM »
THe Buttons in AH setup are named wrong. But its not AHs fault, the game setup gets the button description from DirectX - the wrong ones i might add. Skuzzy posted about that a while ago. Theres no way they can change it.

In other words, just PRESS a button to see which highlights and map it.
21 is only half the truth.