Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 737 times)

Offline the_spud

• Zinc Member
A few questions
« on: July 30, 2006, 09:26:27 PM »
Ok, I'm kinda new at this game, but I've got a few questions now that I've been playing it online. So if you can, help me out with this.

1) Where exactly is the map room in the town and what does it look like?

2) Since there doesn't seem to be a town for the vehicle fields, is the map room on the field somewhere?

3) And does anything need to be destroyed prior to capturing a vehicle field, since there is no town? (I don't think)

4) I need a bit of help figuring out which buildings are which on the field, such as the fighter, bomber and vehicle hangers, so is there some kind of map or identification guide thing for people like me?

5) How does the sight on the tanks work? I can kill a guy pretty easy at close range but sometimes there is guys that are like a mile out that are killing me with just a few shots. The lines are probably how you do it but all I have been able to use them for is holding high. Is there a range finder system in it or something?

And now for a more technical sort of problem: Every time when I'm in a tank fight and I nail the guy, I see the flash of the shell hitting him but it is at least 2 or 3 seconds before he blows up. However, I don't usually have this trouble when I'm in an anti-aircraft vehicle and I shoot down a plane. Also when I'm in a fighter and I shoot the guy down, I see the flashes of hits and then it will either be a few seconds and then explosion, or a few seconds and he just disappears. In all of these cases I do get credit for the kill but a lot of times I probably put more lead into him than necessary.

I think that about covers it, if you guys can help me with this I would appreciate it.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
A few questions
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 09:37:52 PM »
1, 2, most of 3, and 4 can be answered by right clicking the map and selecting "Clipboard Maps."

Nothing but AAA needs to be destroyed at a Vbase.

Use the Z key and bracket keys to zoom in on the tank sight. The numbers are in tens of yards. 12 = 120 yards. 16=160 yards. Only way is to eyeball it.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
A few questions
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 09:39:39 PM »
1) Maproom is in the middle of town (near radar tower and that huge oil tank) and looks like a small, green hill.
2) On VFields the maproom is on field, looking the same as in towns
3) You should destroy the ant aircraft cannons on field, for they will kill your troops. Most times itīs a good idea to kill the VHs, so no defender can roll out of it in last second, but itīs not necessary
4) Bring up your clipboard map (ESC). Rightclick on it and select "Clipboard maps". You can then select map of choice. Also check http://www.netaces.org for printable versions.
5) The lines indeed indicate distances, but there is no "rangefinding" capability. Use "Z" and brackets to zoom in. Hitting targets at long range is just a matter of practice. After a few hundeed sorties in tanks you will make pretty good guesses how far away a given target is ;)

The technical problem seems to be all about lag...
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Re: A few questions
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 09:56:40 PM »
Originally posted by the_spud
Ok, I'm kinda new at this game, but I've got a few questions now that I've been playing it online. So if you can, help me out with this.

1) Where exactly is the map room in the town and what does it look like?

The maproom is next to the metal "radar tower", looking like a small, green hill with a gangway/door:

2) Since there doesn't seem to be a town for the vehicle fields, is the map room on the field somewhere?

Map room on the V-Bases is in the SW corner, close to the field ack.

3) And does anything need to be destroyed prior to capturing a vehicle field, since there is no town? (I don't think)

Provided you have noone defending the base, all you have to take down prior to dropping troops are the auto field ack guns. Since usually people defend the base, you need to either suppress them spawning or take down the Vehicle hangars (VHs). Dont forget mannable ack.

4) I need a bit of help figuring out which buildings are which on the field, such as the fighter, bomber and vehicle hangers, so is there some kind of map or identification guide thing for people like me?

You have field maps available in game by right clicking on your map (ESC key) and select Clipboard Maps. Select the base you want to check in the dropdown box. Those maps are stored as .bmp files in you HTC/Aces High II/Maps folder. BlauK has hosted some maps that are printable - if i can dig up the link ill post it.

5) How does the sight on the tanks work? I can kill a guy pretty easy at close range but sometimes there is guys that are like a mile out that are killing me with just a few shots. The lines are probably how you do it but all I have been able to use them for is holding high. Is there a range finder system in it or something?

Yes, the lines are used to aim, according to distance to target in yards. Since you dont get ICONS for enemies when in GV, youll need to judge the distance to target by its size. Hammer's Ground Vehicle Guide might help you.

And now for a more technical sort of problem: Every time when I'm in a tank fight and I nail the guy, I see the flash of the shell hitting him but it is at least 2 or 3 seconds before he blows up. However, I don't usually have this trouble when I'm in an anti-aircraft vehicle and I shoot down a plane. Also when I'm in a fighter and I shoot the guy down, I see the flashes of hits and then it will either be a few seconds and then explosion, or a few seconds and he just disappears. In all of these cases I do get credit for the kill but a lot of times I probably put more lead into him than necessary.

Im not found in GVs often, so i cant really judge... it *might* have to do with net lag or your PC taking a bit to process the explosion graphic/the sound. But it also might be just a normal thing in killing another GV.

I think that about covers it, if you guys can help me with this I would appreciate it.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 10:00:52 PM by Schatzi »
21 is only half the truth.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
A few questions
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 07:16:07 AM »
As the map key says the maproom is the yellow dot by the field, usually in town.
It does not indicate the position of the town, and you already know some fields do not have towns, but indicates the position of the maproom.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline the_spud

• Zinc Member
A few questions
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 11:08:49 AM »
Thanks for the help guys.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
A few questions
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 03:08:20 PM »
Originally posted by the_spud
Thanks for the help guys.

Anytime and don't forget the gal.  :)
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline the_spud

• Zinc Member
A few questions
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 10:01:48 PM »
The gal? If you are referring to OOZ662, it says in his sig, quote "Also it's my girlfriend in the picture, not me!".

And while I'm at it, I just remembered a couple more questions, so here they are.

How do you change the salvo setting for bombing? Currently it is just automatically on 1, and I just drop them all as fast as I can press the button.

And also, I have a lot of trouble sometimes getting my bomber to climb well, especially with the Lancasters, after I take off, I can pull back on the stick all I want and the plane just noses in. And no, I'm not just hauling back on the stick right after takeoff, I'm not quite that much of a noob.:)
I've played the Il-2 Sturmovik series a lot, but they are totally different from this. There must be a trick to getting your speed up in the bombers and climbing way up high like some people do.
I've tried taking a lighter bomb load, but that doesn't seem to work either. I can usually get airborne and to my target with the B-24, even though I'm usually aren't more than 5k when I get there. If I do, thanks to the fighters.

That's all for now and thanks again. Guys. And gals.:)

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
A few questions
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 10:08:41 PM »
No, not me. Schatzi's a woman. :rofl

Salvo is a dot command. They're entered into the same place you type text into in game. Read about them here.

Alt-X is autotrim to climb at the best climb speed. Shift-X holds the current angle of the nose to the horizon. X trims for level flight.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
A few questions
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 10:18:00 PM »
Hi Spud, welcome aboard.

to change the salvo setting hit the / key and type in the text buffer     .salvo x (X being the number you want to salvo off).

As far as the lanc goes, let it get some speed before you climb it. It's not going to climb much better than 500ft per minute at low ASL and will get worse as you gain altitude. It's a good bomber though. Just be gentle with it and allow it time to climb. It packs a whallop.  Don't take off into a hill, it won't climb fast enough to get over. Pick a R/W that has no obstructions.

Just for your info, the lanc climbs best at about 160 mph.

Oh, and the 'Gal" is Schatzi. Check yer six often hehe.

cheers,
RTR
The Damned

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
A few questions
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 10:09:24 AM »
if you are just flying 1 base to the next in a bomber, 5k is about it.

you need to climb a few sectors to get to 20k or more. a good 45 minutes to an hour plus flying time.
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Flit

• Silver Member
A few questions
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 10:42:16 AM »
BTW- the tank sight is marked in 100's of yards, i.e. 16 = 1600 etc

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
A few questions
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 02:14:37 PM »
Also, reduce your fuel load. 50% will get you almost across map and back. For shorter runs, you can use only 25%.

To check on fuel consumption and range, open the E6B on your clipboard while in flight.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
A few questions
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 12:12:55 PM »
And, don't forget to raise your flaps.  Auto takeoff for many bombers is with flaps deployed.  

It took me a while to figure out why a B-26 was so slow and couldn't get alt to get over some hills.
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay