Author Topic: F4U-1 White 7, Daphne 'C'  (Read 3921 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
F4U-1 White 7, Daphne 'C'
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2006, 08:52:23 PM »
Don't know off hand who made it, just that I got it off ah-skins.com
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2006, 04:03:09 PM »
Originally posted by Saxman
Added the treadways along the upper wing surfaces. If I can get pics of Daphne C/White 13 that show them I'll add them both there, too.

I guess I need to get a scanner.  I've got a picture in the book of Cupp sitting on the side of the cockpit of Daphne C and it does not have treadways on the wings.  In fact, none of the F4U-1's in the pictures have treadways on the wings--just paint.

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2006, 04:08:59 PM »
Marine's Dream wasn't Ken Walsh's aircraft.  I'll have to pull the data on that plane when I get home.  I can also post some buno's for the planes you've worked on so far when I get home from work.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2006, 06:27:39 PM »
The only BuNo so far I need is for Ramblin' Wreck, as the screen cap of the decal is too small to read. The others I'm pretty certain of.

As for MArine's Dream, I know the -1 that I've done here was Olander's. I would THINK he'd have kept that artwork when transitioning into the 1A, but the only representation I find is this modern mockup attributing it to Walsh (which I KNOW is incorrect. Not only that, but to my knowledge NO 1D, which is what that bird is, carried the tricolor markings).
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2006, 09:02:52 AM »
Ok, I've got all my Hog skins updated with colors based on the charts linked by Kev367th So here's some before and after shots of the four I've done so far:

Daphne C

White 13

Marine's Dream

Ramblin' Wreck

I more or less consider these four finished, although I'm still needing Ramblin Wreck's BuNo for the tail markings.

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2006, 01:47:31 PM »
Two ideas for you:

1.  My picture of Marine's Dream has the blue paint all the way up the vert. stab.

2.  Might want to check the transition of the dark blue around the cowling on the tri-color scheme

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2006, 05:25:27 PM »
Again, I've seen two different variations of Marine's Dream. One with a blue stab, one with a gray. The primary reference I used (supported by a several AeroMaster color charts) had the gray stab, so that's what I went with.

It's possible the gray stab was added after the aircraft wrecked on landing, as from the photo I saw pretty much the entire surface was torn off (appeared to be the most significant structural damage to the aircraft, as well). My primary reference dated that particular color pattern to c. December 1943, which was the same month the plane crash-landed.

Also, my reference pic of Ramblin Wreck (the only one I could find) shows that particular transition pattern on the cowl. One reason I did her was specifically BECAUSE of the somewhat atypical transition.

Which BTW, if you were wanting a VMF-121 Corsair, there's Wreck for ya. :D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 05:32:14 PM by Saxman »

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2006, 12:24:53 AM »
Well, figured it was about time to do a Navy bird, and what better choice than the definitive Navy Corsair squadron?

#12 of VF-17

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2006, 01:03:14 AM »
If I knew how to do a custom animated smiley face YOU SIR, would get the dancing up for joy, banana man, beer cheer, and anything else.

Absolutely great!

Do you have any idea when we'll see any of these in the game?

I'd have to say, although all are beautiful, "Ramblin' Wreck" is going to be my new main ride :aok

THANK YOU!
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2006, 01:34:48 AM »
They all look good bro!

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2006, 08:39:07 AM »
Don't know yet. I'm STILL needing Ramblin' Wreck's BuNo, and am also trying to find it for the Jolly Rogers Hog.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2006, 08:17:08 PM »
Fighting Squadron 17 "Jolly Rogers"

Early VF-17 Hog, from the beginning of 1943.

This is the one I posted last night. Moved the image to a new folder on my web space and can't go back and edit the link now. :p

A high-res version of the default F4U-1 skin. I'm already working on fixing the camoflage on the cowl.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2006, 12:44:30 AM »
Yeah, so, uh, who do I have to bribe to find out that BuNo for Saxman here? :D

Ramblin Wreck...  C'mon now, with the way I spin these things on the ground half the time, that'll be one nice screen shot :)

17-F-12 is a sharp looking bird too...

Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2006, 01:42:32 AM »
I need the BuNo's for Ramblin Wreck and the three Jolly Rogers Hogs.

Also, if anyone else knows of a Bent Winged Bird they'd like to see let me know (and get me pics).

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2006, 11:44:53 PM »
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters