Author Topic: This game sucks - For a Panzer driver  (Read 1784 times)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
This game sucks - For a Panzer driver
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2000, 01:18:00 PM »
The problem is unless those AA on halftracks can put the fear of god into a F4U your going to die, period.

They eat M16's for breakfast, and shortly thereafter eat panzers for lunch.

While I may die once & a while to a 190, or Niki. F4U's are by far more deadly, and with the ammo they carry they can wipe out an entire convoy of tracked vehicles single handed.

Also, I have noticed while being attacked that I see 20mm's kicking up dust to my side or rear, yet I'm still takeing pings????

If I can see his rounds hitting dirt how can they be hitting me????

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2000, 01:31:00 PM »
First let me say that I spend a good deal of time in a tank as well, and the only plane that scares the hell out of me is the -1C.

I'm hoping that there is a rebuild time for damage to treads and such, so that the cannons can then knock a tank off of its tread, but maybe not kill it.  One thing though, a naked out-in-the-open column without Air Cover should be a little worried, but maybe not to the extent that a single plane can wipe it completely out.

Last night, aside from that run on the column that Mighty was leading (sorry about the carnage Mighty) I also found a possible issue with killing tanks.  I made 2 consecutive low-level B-26 runs on a panzer dropping 1k bombs on him, and did not kill him.  The first run did knock out his tread, and the second run produced direct hits and knocked out his turret, but did not kill him. My salvo was set to 4 to insure some kind of hit.

Would I threaten to cancel my account of just one aspect of this sim...probably not.  It has so much to offer that, while I hope a workable game-play solution is worked out, I would not cancel my account over it.

Oh, and Oneman, try not to send profanity to someone on private channel...some folks may find it offensive and take a screenshot of it to send in.    Or at the very least, have the guts to respond back when asked over private what it was all about.

Cobra

[This message has been edited by Cobra (edited 05-12-2000).]

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2000, 01:52:00 PM »
Well Cobra I'm not sure what was said on private but I do know my kids learned some new words after you killed me.

I was yelling and screaming for a good hour.

I wasn't mad at you it was the fact that we all died so easy.(yes another 1c rant)

Oh well..gonna have to be sure to close my door tonight when I start flying.

------------------
Mighty1
The New Baby Harp Seals
"Come try to club THIS Seal"
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2000, 02:05:00 PM »
Mighty,
It was really weird, he sent the message a good hour after the column deal.  

My initial guess is that he got me confused with someone else, because I was in 2v2 battle at 7 where I got killed.  I got the message right after I got killed, this after I chased the cons all the way back to their ack too.  And didn't run when I was damaged or from their ack...not sure what the deal was, and sent messages via private to try to find out, but no response, and yes he was still online.

Cobra

PS--Very nice kill when we met between 7 and 8!

[This message has been edited by Cobra (edited 05-12-2000).]

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2000, 02:12:00 PM »
seriously

we dont need icons for enemy vehicles.

so any enemy vehicle below 100 feet agl dosn't have an icon.

will keep the fight low, make m3 troop carriers a viable option, give aircraft cornered low an escape route and make things fun.

just consider it class G airspace  
uncontrolled with no civilian spotters or radar able to look that low  

I think we should turn off enemy icons when in a cloud layer all the way too  

[This message has been edited by Citabria (edited 05-12-2000).]
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2000, 03:43:00 PM »
Turn off the icons for enemy vehicles, BUT make em trail a cloud of dust when they move.  It would probably be easier to see them from the air when moving, but much harder when they are stopped.

popeye
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

OneMan

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2000, 07:38:00 PM »

Originally posted by Ripsnort:
This problem is two-fold, and unfortunatley there's grumbling from more than a few players than accounts may be canceled due to the following:

Cannons on F4U-1C are much too powerful.

Icons on tanks are too easy to spot.

Would be nice to get a status of what HTC plans to do about this in the future, so those compelled to cancel have something to hang hope on, or no hope for that matter.

I do not believe the F4U is the problem, 4 20mm cannon will tear the hell out of any plane, BUT they are not armor  piercing, they are high explosive! they should do little or know damage to a tank, except knock out the engine, if by some LUCK, one makes it into the engine compartment.

Like I said, I was killed in 1 pass by a S P I T F I R E, NOT  a F4U, the planes are not too powerful, the tanks ar too weak! NOT TO MENTION TO EASY TO LOCATE via radar and the "black splotch" / Icon problem

Speaking of Icons, I know they are nice , if not necessary to get the target range (IF fighting tank to tank)

**SOLUTION**  vehicles icons only are visible to OTHER vehicles! make sence? good.

OneMan

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2000, 07:42:00 PM »

they should do little or know damage to a tank[/B]

Yes, its a stupid typo, I DO know it should be "no" not "know" so don't let that get the thread "off track"  

Offline YourDead

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2000, 08:23:00 PM »
Learn to shoot down planes in a panzer!

LOL!  I love shooting down planes in a panzer.  One AP round clips a wing off.

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2000, 08:36:00 PM »
The tank gunsight needs to have it's FOV drastically reduced to nullify the ridiculous capability of the panzer to effectively engage aircraft with its main gun.

And the turret traverse is way too fast - it takes about 15 seconds for a full rotation, when it should take 35.

On the other hand, it does appear that the ability of 20mm Hispano to penetrate the Panzer's armour is overdone.

The thinnest armour on the Panzer IVH is 15mm on the top of the hull. The turret top and hull rear armour are 20mm, and the turret and hull sides are 30mm.

The 15mm top armour would seem unlikely to be penetrated as any rounds striking the top of the tank will certainly hit at a large angle and probably bounce off?

So it comes down to - at what range can a 20mm Hispano AP shell penetrate the rear 20mm, or side 30mm thickness of armour plate?

The only info I can offer is that the German 20mm L/55 could penetrate 20mm of armour at a angles up to 30º at 100m, and 14mm at 500m. The round weight of 148g and velocity of 780m/s is only roughly comparable to the Hispano 20mm at 130g and 880m/s. The Hispano would have considerably more KE due to it's higher velocity.

[This message has been edited by juzz (edited 05-12-2000).]

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2000, 01:04:00 AM »

If I can see his rounds hitting dirt how can they be hitting me????

Bullet dispersion

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2000, 03:17:00 AM »

Offline SC-GreyBeard

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.picknowl.com.au/homepages/oneshot/main.htm
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2000, 04:09:00 AM »
Guys Guys Guys.....

lest ya all ferget..

Pyro has already mentioned that he agrees that tanks are to visible to aircraft, and that dot vis ranges will be changed.
As will icon appearance. (range at which it appears).

I too do a large amount of time in tanks.
And yes I've done the 30 minute struggle up a hillside only to be blown away on 1 pass from a spitfire. (in fact I was killed with a no ping pass other night.)

However. the lethality of a explosive round into an engine compartment shouldn't be overlooked. there are fuel lines galore. Fuel burns, tanks explode.  Can you say BBQ???

It's just a matter of time till the dots and other changes happen. HTC has been great about getting things right so far. Don't give up on the tanks yet.  They will get better..

------------------
GreyBeard, Squadron Leader
Commander, "E" Flight, Aces High
Senior Staff Council
"The Skeleton Crew"
"Fly with Honor"[/i]
"Keepin' the Faith"

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2000, 06:22:00 AM »
30mm sure aint very much armor if you think about it.
 20mm top armor is almost nothing... seems like the cannons are and should be slicing through tanks

now what about when one thousand pound demolition bombs go off 3 feet from a panzer it gets no damage?
how come you tankers are not complaining about this?

selective realism lol
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline SC-GreyBeard

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.picknowl.com.au/homepages/oneshot/main.htm
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2000, 06:41:00 AM »
never had that happen yet Cit..  
I see bombs hit 10 yds out in front of me and my engine dies......

but if a 1000 drops that close I'm usually back in the hangar....

------------------
GreyBeard, Squadron Leader
Commander, "E" Flight, Aces High
Senior Staff Council
"The Skeleton Crew"
"Fly with Honor"[/i]
"Keepin' the Faith"