Author Topic: Salute Dave  (Read 486 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Salute Dave
« on: January 08, 2002, 08:28:00 AM »
best hamburgers around

Wendy's Founder Dave Thomas Dead   :(
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Salute Dave
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2002, 08:29:00 AM »
I saw Consumers Report of "Fast food" and had Wendy's listed as "Best Burger" for a chain...McDonalds still won the "Best French Fry" with Wendy placing 2nd.

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Salute Dave
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2002, 08:35:00 AM »
No more comercials?

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Salute Dave
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2002, 08:37:00 AM »
I use to work for Wendy's, I guarantee you them burgers can be pretty funky.

Best bet is to eat the chicken- any of the chicken products sold.

Everything else- stay away from... very far away from!
-SW

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Salute Dave
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2002, 08:38:00 AM »
But burgers weren't his first love. Thomas, who was adopted as an infant, became a
                 national advocate for adoption.

He created the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption, a not-for-profit organization
                 focused on raising public awareness of adoption. The profits from his books, "Dave's
                 Way" and "Well Done!" go to the foundation.

He once testified before a Congressional committee about the importance of creating
                 incentives for adoption.

"I know firsthand how important it is for every child to have a home and loving family,"
                 he testified. "Without a family, I would not be where I am today."
[/b]

We need more people like Dave in the world.

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
Salute Dave
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2002, 11:31:00 AM »
He also was an advocate for education, and went back to get his high school equivalency in the 80's. Yes, we need more folks like him in the world.

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
Salute Dave
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2002, 12:20:00 PM »
From news wire:
Despite his success, it wasn't until 1993 that Thomas earned a high school equivalency certificate. That year, he told 2,500 Columbus public school seniors his biggest mistake was not finishing high school.

"We have 4,000 restaurants today, but if I had gotten my high school diploma, we might have 8,000."
==================

Truly a class act.  He will be missed.

Mickey
Programmer/Analyst
Wendy's International, Inc.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Mickey1992 ]

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Salute Dave
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2002, 01:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mickey1992:
Back in '93, Dave said:
"We have 4,000 restaurants today, but if I had gotten my high school diploma, we might have 8,000."

Alternatively he might have had no restaurants at all.
 Success in life depends on luckily being in the right place in the right time and having the right experience and character to exploit the circumstances.
 I am sure that his not getting HS diploma the first time had direct effect on all four those items. He might have ended up better or he might have not. My two "wasted" years in the army of "Evil Empire" contributed much more to building my personality then any extra few years of studies would have done.
 You can always hire expertise or even smarts if you have what it takes to run a business.

miko

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Salute Dave
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2002, 01:50:00 PM »
Miko, thats true to a point, good old fashioned hard work pays off too, I'm proof that the American Dream (Named my boat that too!) still exists...started out at age 18 more than 1700 miles from home with a suitcase full of clothes and $100 in my pocket, put myself thru school, working 2 jobs at the same time...

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
Salute Dave
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2002, 01:51:00 PM »
The old boy left the world a little better place for his having been in it. Thats about as good as it gets.
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline av8or

• Copper Member
Salute Dave
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2002, 10:43:00 PM »
success is the knowledge of putting yourself in the position and place at the right time and that in its self takes a lot of work i have figured out.    LEE

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Salute Dave
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2002, 03:30:00 AM »
Hehehe, what do YOU guys know about french-fries  ;)
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Salute Dave
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2002, 04:56:00 AM »
I thought they were short guys with funny accents who sit around drinking wine, eating cheese, and stinking because they don't know what deoderant is.  Was I wrong?

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
Salute Dave
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2002, 07:49:00 AM »
His public viewing is being held at the company's corporate offices today and tomorrow in the main lobby.

My question is: Has anyone ever heard of a public viewing like this being held in a place of business?  Just curious because it seems odd to some.

Mickey
Programmer/Analyst
Wendy's International, Inc.

Offline Horn

• Silver Member
Salute Dave
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2002, 09:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mickey1992:
My question is: Has anyone ever heard of a public viewing like this being held in a place of business?  Just curious because it seems odd to some.

Ummm, just as long as there aren't any changes to the menu. like "Dave Burgers"
  :D

dh
(Soylent Green Forever!)