Author Topic: US slaps 'WMD' sanctions on firms  (Read 384 times)

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
US slaps 'WMD' sanctions on firms
« on: August 04, 2006, 05:36:07 PM »

I didn't realize this was going on with Russia.  

Russia's foreign ministry condemned the decision as "clearly illegitimate".

illegitmate, I bet .. LOL

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 05:40:38 PM »
Wow... I had no idea that Russia, North Korea, India and Cuba were bound by U.S. laws.
sand

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 06:18:59 PM »
Wow....did you even read the article?

Clearly Russia, North Korea, India and Cuba are not bound by U.S. laws.

However, US companies ARE bound by US laws.

From the link:

The sanctions stop US firms working with affected companies - which include Russian aircraft manufacturer Sukhoi.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 07:14:49 PM »
Did you read the first part?

The US state department has imposed sanctions on arms firms from Russia, North Korea, India and Cuba for allegedly supplying equipment to Iran.

It said they had broken US laws banning the sale to Tehran of equipment capable of helping the development of weapons of mass destruction.

I can only assume that "they" means "arms firms from Russia, North Korea, India, and Cuba."
sand

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 07:33:54 PM »
The problem lies with the unnamed reporter who has incorrectly worded the report on the situation.

The firms have not "broken US laws" per se. That's the reporter failing to understand the situation.

The sanctions are based on the Iran Non-Proliferation Act of 2000.

The companies are being sanctioned

based on credible information that they transferred equipments and technologies referred on the multilateral control lists to Iran,” said State Department spokesman Adam Ereli.

”They are serial offenders,” he added.

link

Simply put, the Iran Non-Proliferation Act of 2000 allows the US government to sanction foreign companies that supply Iran (and Syria) with stuff our government doesn't think they should have.

Basically, it's "if you sell them this, you can't do business with the US government or US companies".

Not really violating our laws per se. The reporter didn't get it right.

And, as you can see, only the business dealings of US government agencies and US companies are affected. The US isn't charging any foreign company in court over this.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 07:44:57 PM »
Roger that.

It's a poorly written article. It's amazing what passes for professional journalism sometimes.
sand

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 09:04:01 PM »
And from the BBC too, eh, wot?

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 10:11:41 PM »
Gee here I was wondering exactly what arms the US bought from russia, north korea, idia and cuba. All this time I thought we made our own weapons. Sheesh, what ya learn on the internet from the brits........
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 11:52:24 PM »
I guess NASA no longer need rides to ISS or engines for satellites delivery rockets. :rolleyes:

Offline mora

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 02:30:10 AM »
Originally posted by Russian
I guess NASA no longer need rides to ISS or engines for satellites delivery rockets. :rolleyes:

Screw the ISS, what you need is to get a man on the moon.

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2006, 09:40:57 AM »
The reporter didn't get it right.

A common thing at the BBC..

:D