Author Topic: US carmakers suffer drop in sales  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
US carmakers suffer drop in sales
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2006, 08:12:58 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
When I was test driving the BMW, I found the interior to require more attention.

"Dat is becoz de kar is zmartah dan u.

Doo vot de kar sez, alvays.

Here, look, ve put de kontrolz und indikatahs vere you vill be unable to miss dem.

De kar is zmartah dan u."

/
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2006, 09:07:48 PM »
zOMG, i'd drive a teh Smart Car, but i can't afford the dates with Jeff Gannon rofL!!!!!!!!11 :rofl :rofl :rofl :eek:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 10:15:07 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2006, 10:12:56 PM »
The last car I had that I really liked was my old 78 280Z. It was rather fast, had decent gas mileage for the time and was comfortable to drive in. It was dirt reliable. The only repairs I ever did to it was an alternator, a water pump at 90k miles and several sets of front brake pads. I found I had to replace the pads about each year and had it down to about 45 minutes for the job including jacking up the car.

My current "car" is a Volvo and is a comfortable over the road vehicle. It gets less mileage than my Z did but it tows the house a whole lot better. I use the beemer for local driving and sight seeing.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2006, 10:50:46 PM »
Japanese carmakers have certainly been successful over the past 3 decades, but there are some factors in the American market that will affect profitability a few years down the road. Changes in profitability affect retained earnings, R&D and general business practices.

First would be currently having only minimum pension payments, since most Japanese factories and workers in the US haven't been around long enough to have retirees.

Second, US domestic carmakers may create a pension liability crisis campaign to get some form of legislated relief.

The Japanese carmakers continue to reduce labor costs in Japan by creating a working poor class of blue collar, day-labor workers. They have specific job descriptions laid out in such simple, viewable instructions that a person can be assembling something in 15 minutes.

They have completely transformed the labor market. More and more employees without pensions, bonuses, company sponsored health insurance, paid holidays, union representation, work rules, accident insurance, etc. And the hourly rate is at unskilled labor rate.

Some companies have conditions not unlike migrant workers now. Toyota contracts with companies (started by retired executives) that bring in unskilled labor from rural areas and houses them in dormitories. They are bused to the factory everyday for month-long contracts. They have to complete the entire month to get the full wages paid and have to work six days per week with no extra pay for overtime work since they are not covered by law as contractors.

Will the US carmakers do some of this?

It's a grim picture of a future that has white collar compensation absorbing the profit of blue collar loses. You might even call it a return to feudalism.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 10:56:09 PM by Rolex »

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2006, 10:09:06 AM »
weren't the japs the masters of fuedalism?   Why would anyone think that their basic personalities would change in a few hundred years?

lazs

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2006, 02:17:53 PM »
Originally posted by Debonair
zOMG, i'd drive a teh Smart Car, but i can't afford the dates with Jeff Gannon rofL!!!!!!!!11 :rofl :rofl :rofl :eek:

Last edited by Skuzzy on 08-04-2006 at 08:15 AM

OMG that was funny, im proud of that one, but wasn't paying too much attention when i posted it.
i think i was in some sort of comedy ninja trance.
what was edited?

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2006, 10:21:37 AM »
Rolex...   given that fact that the japs do business as they do...

What would you do if you were running American car companies.... Say GM... their resources are still vast.

What would you do?

lazs