Author Topic: I messed up now !!!!! HELP!!!  (Read 1223 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
I messed up now !!!!! HELP!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2006, 05:14:47 PM »
Safe mode should work. If safe mode does not work, the card is not installed properly. Safe mode uses generic drivers, so it's not a driver issue if you get nothing while booting this way.

Make sure you didn't screw up a setting in your BIOS (just double check for anything related to video card) and pull the card and put it back in. Make sure it's all the way in.

I tried putting a card into a system recently. It's a TIGHT fit (bad layout). So much so that the end of the card was prevented from going all the way in by the RAM hold-down pegs. I had to close the pegs to get the card in.

Make sure your card is properly installed and you should get safe mode automatically.

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2006, 05:25:39 PM »
gold...Just ask someone for their telephone # and im sure they can walk you through it...Ive called various people in the community many a times to fix problems...
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2006, 06:10:20 PM »
thanks for all the help guys ....even though no result was found....what i will most likly will do is take out my old hard drive so i dont loose all my info. Then will go buy a cheap drive put it in take the old one out then put the new hard drive in and reload windowx xp and then transfer the old hard drive back over..

comments?
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline PuckIt

• Copper Member
      • http://www.dfa-squad.org
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2006, 06:59:08 PM »
I dont think that is needed. Just doing a repair with the XP disk may fix this. All your data should stay intact. The reason I say this may do it is because... If safe mode is hanging up during the driver install (the screen you mention you cant get past) then its possible a repair will fix the driver issue it looks like its having. Anyway its worth a shot.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 07:01:27 PM by PuckIt »

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2006, 08:05:52 PM »
well see my main thing is its the family cpu not just mine so loosing info is NOT a option lol :rofl
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2006, 11:10:10 PM »
Are you giving it enough time to start in safe mode? it takes a while.

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Irwink!

• Nickel Member
      • http://msn.com
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2006, 08:02:07 AM »
Swapping hard drives won't really solve anything other than the educational value of the exercise if the Windows system is on the drive you're pulling out (with hopes of re-installing later). When you reinstall the old one you'll be reinstalling the "old" Windows and be right back where you are now. Is the hard drive you're preparing to pull the boot or C:\ drive? I think that's probably what you're talking about as if were a 2nd physical disk there'd be no reason to pull it. As someone said previously, I'd recommend you talk to an experienced friend or whoever in realtime before proceeding. Good luck. One way or the other it'll work out.:cool:

Offline Clutz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2006, 11:32:53 AM »
Seems that something bad happened when u un installed the nvidia drivers. What happened is the obvious question here. If u can remember exactly what u did this may help. I think the generic windows drivers that u need to get things going are gone now for some reason or another. In this case try the repair like PuckIt says with windows WP. I think this is your only shot. When u say u went to add/remove hardware, do u mean add/ remove programs? Did u remove your monitor in windows by mistake? Maybe? I'm guessing here. Make sure u let us know what u do. This problem u have is quite interesting. Good luck.

Offline Clutz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2006, 11:47:36 AM »
Also, I'm wondering if the generic safe mode drivers can be affected or removed by what u did when your OS was working. Or are they kept off to the side somewhere on a HD to keep them safe? ???? I'm even wondering it safe mode drivers are kept on the MOBO.

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2006, 12:12:20 PM »
Goldelks please get someone living close to you to come over and fix it.

It is real hard to do this stuff by phone but you can also try that if you find someone living close enough that the phonecall is not so expensive. I am in germany so i guess its a bit far fetched.

If you have trouble switching the video drivers then i think its a bad idea to start messing with hard drives, because that is a bit more complicated... specally since windows is a bit picky if you add a second hard drive which is bootable too.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2006, 12:54:58 PM »
Process of elimination.

1.  The problem started when removing either a device or the drivers for that device from Windows.  I'm still not clear on whether he removed the drivers or the device itself.

2.  Either way, Windows should automatically detect and try to install drivers for the video card when the computer reboots.  It does not.  So Windows already thinks the current card is installed.

3.  The video card works to get into BIOS (so DOS mode is ok), and you booted up in Safe Mode at least once (because there is a complaint about the list of drivers).  So its not a hardware problem.  Its a Windows problem, and I suspect maybe a User problem.

4.  Your card is a 5500?  Is this AGP or PCI?  

So, lets get a few of the other basics down.  

When you say you get a "black screen" when Windows starts, do you get a box on the screen floating around that says "out of frequency" or "no monitor detected, check cable" or anything like that?  Or is it just blank?  

If its just blank, go away and let it sit for awhile, make sure its not just taking a long time to load with the new hardware in place.  I've seen this happen sometimes even on a new, fast computer.  If that doesnt help, and you arent getting error messages from the monitor itself, then the monitor is getting signals from the computer via the video card and you just arent getting a picture.  Time for Safe Mode.

Now.  Can you get into Safe Mode at all?  You did previously.  When Windows starts in Safe Mode it lists ALL the video cards it has in the Registry, as well as all the Monitors, etc.  Your Device Manager is going to have more than one video card listed, because you've had more than one installed.  Thats normal.  I'm suspecting you have a double entry.  To get to the Device Manager, click on the Start button, then click on the Control Panel, then double click the icon that says System.  A new window will open with several tabs, look for the one labelled Hardware.  Click on the button in the middle that says "Device Manager".  Look in the Device Manager and look at Display Adapters.  Find the listing for your video card that you have installed right now.  Is there any Exclamation point or Question mark or any mark beside it?  Is it listed more than once?  Right click on the listing for your video card, and select Remove or Uninstall, or whatever yours says.  If there is more than one listing for it, remove them all.  Reboot your computer normally and see if Windows detects your card now and tries to install it.  

If you are to the point where Windows detects your card, you should be OK.  If not, look over the questions I asked above and let me know where my scenario breaks from what you are experiencing.  We can go from there.

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2006, 04:41:38 PM »
ive tryed booting safe mode VGA stle still only get black sreen i cant get into anykind of task stuff or anything.....yes it is a pci card
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline outbreak

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2006, 06:19:54 PM »
Ok last time i checked when you boot ur puter and smack the F8 key a few times it says something like:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe mode with Command

Start Windows Normally
Start Windows Using the last known Good Configuration
Restart

Choose: Start Windows Using the last known Good Configuration and see wat happens

Offline Irwink!

• Nickel Member
      • http://msn.com
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2006, 08:05:22 PM »
"Last known good configuration" won't work if it's gone through the full boot process at least once since the problems started.

Offline outbreak

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2006, 05:25:40 AM »
But if he can atleast get it to boot all the way up, Then he can diagnose the issue.