Author Topic: F-22... Is it already in service?  (Read 362 times)

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
F-22... Is it already in service?
« on: August 03, 2006, 10:44:14 PM »
Is the air dominance fighter F-22 in service already?  The last time i heard abouyt the F-22 was the flight test back in '97...

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 11:03:11 PM »
From the Wiki:

The first USAF squadron to operate F-22A's was the 43rd Fighter Squadron, at Tyndall AFB, Florida. The 43rd was re-established at Tyndall in 2002, and, in 2003, with a corps of 15 Raptor Instructor Pilots, began training student Raptor pilots for the 27th Fighter Squadron at Langley. The 43rd continues to produce new Raptor pilots, and will continually serve as the focal point for all F-22 training of combat USAF Raptor pilots and maintainers. Additionally Raptor units include the 422 Test and Evaluation Squadron, which is responsible for tactics development and evaluation for the F-22, and the 412th Test Squadron, which continues to fly developmental test of F-22 enhancements and modernization. The 27th Fighter Squadron became the first deployable F-22 unit in December 2005 after receiving sufficient numbers of trained Raptor pilots from the 43rd at Tyndall. The 94th Fighter Squadron, also at Langley, will be the second combat Raptor squadron, with additional squadrons to follow at Elmendorf AFB, Alaska, and Holloman AFB, New Mexico.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 11:16:21 PM »
Welcome to 2006, Mr Austin Powers!

We hope the thawing process wasnt uncomfortable  :cool:

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 12:00:12 AM »
kewl, the 27th.
some sorry fokker is gonna be zapped by the ghost of Frank Luke

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 12:02:17 AM »
Me thinks the F22 Raptor is going to prove to be, all in all, much less of an airplane than it is being touted to be.

Too much *bling bling* and not enough *bang bang*

I think it is going to be found "on par" ( and dare I say it...maybe a little under par) with the latest Eurofighters and Russian designed aircraft, but not in any way "superior".

Neat Airplane nonetheless, but not exactly the next F15.

Just my humble opinion.

RTR
The Damned

Offline dmf

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 12:05:04 AM »
There here in Va Beach at Oceana while the runway up at Langley AFB is being redone, they look wiered compared to the planes I'm used to seeing flying around

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 12:07:08 AM »
Originally posted by RTR
Me thinks the F22 Raptor is going to prove to be, all in all, much less of an airplane than it is being touted to be.

Too much *bling bling* and not enough *bang bang*

I think it is going to be found "on par" ( and dare I say it...maybe a little under par) with the latest Eurofighters and Russian designed aircraft, but not in any way "superior".

Neat Airplane nonetheless, but not exactly the next F15.

Just my humble opinion.

RTR

Pffft...well with such solid credentials as that, clearly shouldve abandoned it years ago  LOL

In other threads, its capabilities and such have been discussed in depth by Eagl and others.  You should search for those, you might change your armchair opinion

Offline Munkii

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 12:16:32 AM »
If the F-22 can only do what it's speculated at doing it's a wonderous investment as an interceptor and air dominance fighter with the F-35 being the perfect F-16 re-placement.  My guess being the F-22 actually does say 15% better than the numbers published puts it at better than anything the Russians have in production and most likely better than the latest generation EU planes.  

Although I wouldn't mind having a few of those Gripen's just to look at. :)

Offline tikky

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 12:26:57 AM »
Russian made planes are kicking the current US 4th generation planes to shame in excersises right now.  The F-22 and F-35 should reverse the situation

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 12:38:31 AM »
Still think the F-23 should've gotten the bid.

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 12:55:16 AM »
F-22's are on station here in Hawaii.  Not up to full strength yet, but there's at least 2.  I saw them landing.  :)

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 01:35:50 AM »
RTR,

Lots of active duty guys are convinced that it's "all that".  I've personally been sold on it since the competition (I also wanted the YF-23 to win) and nothing I've seen has come close to convincing me otherwise.

I think we could use another couple hundred and I hope they figure out how to stretch the production line like they did for the F-15E, but without relying on export.  I don't mind too much other air forces flying the F-16 or F-15 but I really don't want to have to fight an F-22.  No way.  Selling the AMRAAM is bad enough because that sucker is a total deathstick, but an export F-22 would totally suck bellybutton for our guys.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 01:39:54 AM »
Originally posted by eagl
(I also wanted the YF-23 to win)  

I've seen this from a couple people.  Other than the eye candy factor, what else about the 23 would make you support it over the 22?  I agree though, the 23 just LOOKS like it could whip your ass!
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 01:43:26 AM »
Mostly it was the phear factor :)  I suspect it was aerodynamically inferior in the sense that it would have less extreme maneuverability capability due to simply not having as many control/stability surfaces, and it could also have battle damage issues.

That said, the USAF stated that both planes met the basic requirements and what won the contract was the whole package including production timeline, stability of the companies involved, management systems, processes, and controls in use, etc.

But from what I heard from behind the scenes, the YF-22 did promise to have better maneuverability so it got the thumbs-up from the pilots, whatever that was worth.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2006, 02:06:58 AM »
Originally posted by eagl
RTR,

Lots of active duty guys are convinced that it's "all that".  I've personally been sold on it since the competition (I also wanted the YF-23 to win) and nothing I've seen has come close to convincing me otherwise.

I think we could use another couple hundred and I hope they figure out how to stretch the production line like they did for the F-15E, but without relying on export.  I don't mind too much other air forces flying the F-16 or F-15 but I really don't want to have to fight an F-22.  No way.  Selling the AMRAAM is bad enough because that sucker is a total deathstick, but an export F-22 would totally suck bellybutton for our guys.

So you have problems with NATO allies having the AMRAAM?