Author Topic: Thank you for scouting advice!  (Read 574 times)

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Thank you for scouting advice!
« on: August 04, 2006, 07:35:40 PM »
Just wanted to give a big thanks to everyone who helped out with my scouting question!  We're pursuing Camp Fire USA first, then we'll check out some of the others.

Sorry some other folks threadjacked it and got it closed, but I'm glad they held off until after the rest of y'all helped out.

Anyhow, excellent community (the crazies aside) and I appreciate the help!
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 07:41:46 PM »
Good luck.

About a decade ago, my son expressed an interest in the Boy Scouts and we went to a meeting. The religious aspect of it turned me off and we never went back.
sand

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 09:17:47 PM »
Which is the best possible outcome for everyone involved.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 09:27:57 PM »
Sure, BSA does have a religious aspect.  But its not overbearing.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 09:48:38 PM »
My understanding is that it's different in every chapter.  Some are really religious, some aren't.  The skills taught are top notch, and it's a great organization for building character and teaching self reliance.

If any of y'all are interested in scouts but don't want "church with tents" :D, go and check out the various dens/packs and find the group of people that match what you want.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 10:03:06 PM »
I was in the cub scouts for a while and had a good time there, up until I got kicked out. I beat up the den mothers kid at her house. He decided to jump on me from the roof of the porch and slapped at me. I split his lip wide open while still on the ground. She came out and told me I couldn't be a scout any more. I never went back for the regular scouts.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 01:50:19 AM »
Originally posted by AquaShrimp
Sure, BSA does have a religious aspect.  But its not overbearing.

Maybe not, but I didn't think it was a good idea to encourage my children to lie.
sand

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 01:56:56 AM »
Let us know how it works out.  It'd be a shame to deprive any kid of those experiences, whether they learn them through BSA or another group.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 02:28:33 AM »
I was a scout. First in a chrisitan org then the non-religious sea scouts later. The first one was good, but abit too much bible reading and lectures for my taste, but the sea scouts was outstanding fun :)

You learn many neat little things that you actually can use in real life and have tons of fun. I hope your kid likes it Chairboy.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 08:13:17 AM »
Originally posted by Sandman
Maybe not, but I didn't think it was a good idea to encourage my children to lie.

Yeah, no need to pretend they have all that morality stuff...
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2006, 08:29:12 AM »
My scout troop was pretty mainstream and "cool" because nobody went in there and expected the troop to change just to fit their particular hangups.

Personally, I just inserted the word "my" in front of "God", and that was good enough for me.  Nobody ever suspected that My God could have been a beer for all they knew, and I had a great time in the scouts.

Hard Core athiests are just as crazy as religious whackos, and IMHO neither of them need to be running scout troops.  The more people get involved and simply insist on the scouts teaching a moral code of behavior, the better, because that can mean different things for each person and isn't tied to any particular religion, faith, or faith of disbelief.

And if anyone doesn't like it, they're perfectly free to start their own group.  Freedom doesn't mean the right to force groups to cater to your own personal hangups.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2006, 09:53:00 AM »
Never was a Scout to my regret. I was in the Order of Malta, no not as a  Hospitaller knight. It was just a first aid organisation.  Although from the amount of fighting we did on outings we might as well have been. Naturally there was a religious aspect to it given it's origins.

My brother though was in the former Catholic Boy Scouts of Ireland.  Naturally as you might expect there was a considerable religious and Catholic aspect.  But amazingly the troop leaders were in a fact a couple of Jewish women:aok

Only in Ireland:rofl

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2006, 10:23:41 AM »
I was in scounts like 18 years ago and alot has changed since then.  Mainly, the BSA is now run by the Morman church.  Kinda sucks that some kids are denied the experience because of religious beleifs.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2006, 12:32:16 PM »
Originally posted by eagl
My scout troop was pretty mainstream and "cool" because nobody went in there and expected the troop to change just to fit their particular hangups.

Personally, I just inserted the word "my" in front of "God", and that was good enough for me.  Nobody ever suspected that My God could have been a beer for all they knew, and I had a great time in the scouts.

Hard Core athiests are just as crazy as religious whackos, and IMHO neither of them need to be running scout troops.  The more people get involved and simply insist on the scouts teaching a moral code of behavior, the better, because that can mean different things for each person and isn't tied to any particular religion, faith, or faith of disbelief.

And if anyone doesn't like it, they're perfectly free to start their own group.  Freedom doesn't mean the right to force groups to cater to your own personal hangups.

Word.

I was in the scouts and asides the Oath, recall no other religious aspect of it.

But each to their own.  Even if we're mocked as crazies :cool:

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2006, 02:59:40 PM »
Originally posted by eagl

"...One nation, zOMG, indivisible..."   lol it teh works!!!!11

...is there any groups keeps out religon & still keeps out the queers also?