Author Topic: More Texas Redistricting  (Read 241 times)

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
More Texas Redistricting
« on: August 05, 2006, 12:39:51 AM »
Remember those wacky district lines the Republicans drew? Looks like a few of them are toast. Link
HOUSTON (Reuters) - A U.S. Court redrew the boundaries of five south and west Texas congressional districts on Friday to restore political power to Hispanic voters.

The three-judge panel, appointed by the U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, vacated primary elections of candidates in the districts and said primary elections would be held simultaneously with the general election on November 7, according to the decision.

The court's new electoral map fulfills instructions from the U.S. Supreme Court when it ruled in June that a controversial 2003 congressional redistricting by the Texas Legislature was constitutional except for the dilution of Hispanic voting power in the 23rd Congressional District.

:)
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
More Texas Redistricting
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 02:00:55 AM »
Yay for gerrymandering!

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
More Texas Redistricting
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 08:17:23 AM »
so instead of gerrymandering one way they gerrymander the other way.

still sounds illegal, i think a better way would be to give a 3rd grade class a map and tell them to draw lines on it. :lol

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
More Texas Redistricting
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 09:43:48 AM »
Originally posted by john9001
so instead of gerrymandering one way they gerrymander the other way.

still sounds illegal, i think a better way would be to give a 3rd grade class a map and tell them to draw lines on it. :lol

Well .......at least in Texas there would be a pretty good chance the third graders could count the lines when they were through. :)

Sorry. Couldn`t resist.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
More Texas Redistricting
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 10:41:33 AM »
Obviously there are those that hate gerrymandering when it goes against their team and love gerrymandering when it goes for their team.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
More Texas Redistricting
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 11:48:46 AM »
RPM,

Does this mean the democrats will stop the suit that keeps a republican on the ballet that's not even running?

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
More Texas Redistricting
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 12:44:43 PM »
The last time I came face to face with a gerrymander I failed my saving throw and it turned my breastplate into rust. The magic user had to cast fireball spell and I got caught in the damage radius for 3 times 1d6!

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
More Texas Redistricting
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 12:46:44 PM »
Just another round in how to maintain our freaking do noting jobs on the public dime. Demo, Repub, all the same sheite.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
More Texas Redistricting
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 11:10:47 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
RPM,

Does this mean the democrats will stop the suit that keeps a republican on the ballet that's not even running?
I have no idea. But, since they vacated the election I think it's a moot point now.

For what it's worth... I've said it before and I'll say it again, they should make them all 2 county districts and be done with it.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.