Author Topic: Thank you for scouting advice!  (Read 573 times)

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Thank you for scouting advice!
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2006, 03:06:27 PM »
I learned a lot of things from scouting.. religion wasn't one of them.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2006, 03:34:01 PM »
Look fellas, I know some of you REALLY want to turn this into a "CHAIRBOY IS TEH EXTREMIST ATHEIST STALIN!!!!", but c'mon, use some self control.  Folks like Lukster and Laser seem to be determined to "out" me as some sort of crazed, bloodthirsty monster who's trying to push an anti-christian agenda against the Boy Scouts, but they're just flat out wrong.

And once again, this is not an issue of my hangups, the BSA simply will not allow my child to join without lying under oath, and I'm not willing to teach my kids that that's ok.  They are a private organization, and they have that right, and that's A-OK because this is the United States of America.

So, once again, thanks to the folks that actually helped and a big raspberry at the reactionists who swooped in to attack.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2006, 03:58:48 PM »
Chairboy, another thing you and your son may wish to become involved with is sports. ie: baseball, hockey etc.  I think t-ball starts around age 5. I have always believed sports was a grrrreat way to help kids develope athletic and interpersonal skills. For me it was hockey. When I became too old to play anymore, I went on to get my certification to coach. I had many years of ejoyment and satisfaction playing and coaching.

One thing I didn't do (because it wasn't around when I was a kid) was Outward Bound. I think OB is a terrific organization; It also throws alot of kids into a situation of 'facing their fears' whether it be repelling down a cliff face or spending 72 hours in the wilderness on your own. (any many other tasks) I have seen a couple of OB shows that were taped and it seems the kids come out of it with a sense of accomplishment and higher self esteem. Can't go wrong with either of those things.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2006, 01:47:02 PM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
Yeah, no need to pretend they have all that morality stuff...

The notion that religion makes one moral is an ignorant and misguided one.
sand

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2006, 01:51:01 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman
The notion that religion makes one moral is an ignorant and misguided one.

I'll go you one better Sandman:

My experience is that the deeply religious are most often the worst offenders