Author Topic: mapping keys using CTL and ALT  (Read 356 times)

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
mapping keys using CTL and ALT
« on: August 06, 2006, 10:08:55 PM »
I hope this is just something dumb I'm doing.  I'd appreciate someone setting me straight.

In 2.08, Patch 3,  I'm trying to map the function "Mode 1 Select" which is currently mapped to "none" to the value "ALT 1."  When I click on "Mode 1 Select", the Shift key, CTL key and the ALT key disappear from the keyboard graphic.  It's as if it doesn't allow anything but non-Shift, CTL, ATL, etc. combination keys to be mapped.  However, the default mapping is full of those kinds of commands.  What gives?

Thanks
The Hay Street Boys

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 10:38:38 PM »
Your assessment is correct.  For some reason, key combinations are not allowed for mapping control mode selections.  I did question it.  I did not get a specific answer, but they are aware it is an issue to some players who use multiple control modes.

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 11:14:19 PM »
Originally posted by Murdr
Your assessment is correct.  For some reason, key combinations are not allowed for mapping control mode selections.  I did question it.  I did not get a specific answer, but they are aware it is an issue to some players who use multiple control modes.

Wow!  Thank you Murdr.  That's an ugly situation.  Fortunately I was able to map Mode 1 to "." and Mode 3 to "\" which appear to be about the only two keys available on the entire keyboard.  Good thing I don't want to map "CM Eye Move Forward" and the other similar ones.  I would have NO keys left with which to do it!  I don't even know what the CM Eye commands are!  :)   Probably a good thing.

BTW, I am using a CH Throttle Quad together with my CH FighterStick and Pro Throttle.  I set up a button that allows me to switch back and forth between controlling a twin engine plane (most importantly the P38) with a single axis (Pro Throttle) and two axes (first two stick of the TQ).  In most cases, I don't want to control the engines seperately but with just the touch of a button, I can grab the TQ sticks and control the engines seperately.  Sweet!

I've been away from AF for a good while and this 2.08 really has some nice hardware control features.  That is very cool!

Thanks for the fast reply.
-hb
The Hay Street Boys

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 11:24:36 PM »
Rgr.  I use 2 modes for views.  I toggle between the modes via a joystick button.  However, I also use one mode for CMeye.  I used key "n" to select that mode, and set all the eye controls off of stick buttons.

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 01:04:39 PM »
Originally posted by Murdr

Just a point of clarity here.  You cannot use key combinations with any key marked "none".  Only pre-existing keys (keys that have some current value) can be assigned with key combinations.  It's not just mode keys.
The Hay Street Boys

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 02:08:46 PM »
Originally posted by HomeBoy

BTW, I am using a CH Throttle Quad together with my CH FighterStick and Pro Throttle.  I set up a button that allows me to switch back and forth between controlling a twin engine plane (most importantly the P38) with a single axis (Pro Throttle) and two axes (first two stick of the TQ).  In most cases, I don't want to control the engines seperately but with just the touch of a button, I can grab the TQ sticks and control the engines seperately.  Sweet!

Has anyone ever tried mapping throttle control to the rudder?  For maneuvering purposes, splitting the throttles increases yaw in concert with rudder.  I'm thinking about a setup where rudder input retards the engine throttle on the same side as the rudder deflection.  Release your rudder and the throttle returns to max (or wherever the normal throttle is positioned).  This would require some kind of dual mapping ability for the rudder controls as well as the throttle so I seriously doubt the in-game software would allow this but Saitek's SST (and some of the other control software) might, I'll have to give it a look.  Just a thought.

Mace
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF