Author Topic: The planes we truly need most.  (Read 10574 times)

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
The planes we truly need most.
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2006, 01:08:58 PM »
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
Planes needed most...
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2006, 02:14:35 PM »
Asking what plane is needed most begs the question...  where?  In the MA?
Most of the planes I'm seeing listed here would be hanger queens in the MA - limited usage, mostly by enthusiasts, and probably would be meat for most of the LA-7, Niki, 1944-45 fighter flying club that we see most nights.

Not that I wouldn't try out a Gloster Gladiator, or Fiat CR42, but how long can I reasonably expect to survive in one?  Sure, I'd love to be taking off B-25s from a CV and trying a Doolittle raid, but I don't have much hope of getting home in a sky full of LA-7s and Nikis, and I'll be carrying the same 2K bombload as an Avenger (another hanger queen).  

Since that (IMHO) is the case, why not feed that hunger first and get some new action going in the MA.  My list is the 4th Qtr '45 list, and I'd expect them all to be perked:

USA:
F7F Tigercat (would've seen service if the war hadn't ended)
F8F Bearcat (delivered into squadrons prior to wars end)
P-80A (delivered before wars end in Europe, and would be an interesting match against the Me-262).
B-29A (conventional bombs only, and good luck getting them to target if you are under 25K).
Edit: Add the P-51H for you Mustang enthusiasts - lighter, faster, stronger than your old D models, and plenty built by wars end...)

UK:
Gloster Meteor Mk.III (saw operational service folks, we just never got the jet battle with the 262 that everyone was anticipating).
Spitfire F.21 (lets just see what the ultimate development of the spitfire was like...)

Germany:
Do-335 Arrow (some were delivered before war's end, and I for one would like to see what it would've done against a horde of bombers...)
He-162 Volksjager (delivered in 45, with operational training and even a report of action before wars end)
Me-262A-2 (why not lets see if the 262 can be used as a fighter-bomber, and lets see about those fat R4M rockets vs bomber streams too...)

Japan:
Ki-100 (Plenty were used, and it is arguably the best japanese piston-engined fighter of the war).

Perk 'em all, and let God (and the carnage that is the MA) sort 'em out.

EagleDNY
$.02

:aok
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 02:29:04 PM by EagleDNY »

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2006, 02:30:11 PM »
Ki-100's performance is markedly inferior to the Ki-84's.  The thing it had going for it was that it was reliable in 1945.  Reliability is not an issue in AH, thus the Ki-84 is just plain better.

Ki-100's top speed: 336mph.

There are a great many Japanese planes that we should have before the Ki-100.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2006, 02:50:36 PM »
IAR-80
IAR-80A
IAR-80B
IAR-80C
IAR-80DC

IAR-81
IAR-81A
IAR-81B
IAR-81C
IAR-81M

:D
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2006, 02:52:46 PM »
You might make a case for a J2M5 Raiden or something like that.  Like a lot of late-war axis development, the goal was stopping hi-altitude bombing raids, so the planes aren't really designed for furballing (Ta-152 anyone?).

I'm a Ki-84 fan myself, but I do have to admit that it lacks controllability at high speed.  From what I've read, the Ki-100, although slower during level flight, was supposedly able to dive with Mustangs and P47Ns and maintain the speed on pullout.  I can't think of any other Japanese ride that was said to be able to do that (and I sure can't do it in my Ki-84).  I'm also thinking Ki-100-II (if you are going to pay the perks, you might as well get the supercharged variant), which had better high altitude performace.

We're sort of limited in the 4Q45 Japanese list - the Japanese variants of the Me262 and Me163 would've been the other candidates, but they seemed to have a lot of problems which kept them in the prototype stage of development.  The Ki-100 was about the only thing I could think of to give the Japanese flyers a decent ride.  You notice I didn't find anything for the Soviet flyers in the 4Q45 list - if we ever went 1946 maybe they'd get a Mig-9.

EagleDNY
$.02
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 02:59:55 PM by EagleDNY »

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2006, 02:55:34 PM »
From what I've read, the Ki-100, although slower during level flight, was supposedly able to dive with Mustangs and P47Ns and maintain the speed on pullout. I can't think of any other Japanese ride that was said to be able to do that (and I sure can't do it in my Ki-84).

Ki-61 can outdive a P-47, and climb with a P-38 if you are coming out of the dive when you start.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2006, 03:03:37 PM »
Originally posted by Treize69
Ki-61 can outdive a P-47, and climb with a P-38 if you are coming out of the dive when you start.

True, but a Ki-100 is the same airframe with a higher power radial engine.  As I said, there isn't much else to give the IJAAF pilots in the MA in a late 1945 planeset.

EagleDNY
$.02

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2006, 11:11:48 AM »
If you're only looking for a plane to compete in the MA, I've got 2 for you:

Yak-9UT
Yak-3

As for Japan, they have pretty much run their Late war, MA super-fighters. The Ki-100 isn't going to give them much if anything. The Raiden would be nice for events, but in the MA shouldn't offer much if any advantage over the current crop of IJ fighters. Now don't get me wrong, I think that J2M would be a great addition for events and endorse it as such. But if we're talking about the MA exclusively, I feel that it will fall squarly into the catagory you previously defined:
Most of the planes I'm seeing listed here would be hanger queens in the MA - limited usage, mostly by enthusiasts, and probably would be meat for most of the LA-7, Niki, 1944-45 fighter flying club that we see most nights.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2006, 11:12:41 AM »
Oh, and:

Judy Judy Judy.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2006, 11:30:16 AM »
Originally posted by Treize69
IAR-80
IAR-80A
IAR-80B
IAR-80C
IAR-80DC

IAR-81
IAR-81A
IAR-81B
IAR-81C
IAR-81M

:D

My man!  We'll get em to get it yet!
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2006, 02:46:21 PM »
"Me-262A-2 (why not lets see if the 262 can be used as a fighter-bomber, and lets see about those fat R4M rockets vs bomber streams too...)"

Yep :aok

And then the Meteor III :D
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline SELECTOR

• Gold Member
      • http://www.332viking.com
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2006, 02:59:13 PM »
hate these kind of posts, cos everybody post mega lists of planes..
why not put " anything thats not german or american" there you go, fixed

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2006, 07:42:13 PM »
Loved the yak 3 in FA pretty little plane seen it at duxford before too and it is quick and agile.

There are gaps in the Soviet and Japanese Planeset  bombers and fighters.

Tu-2, Pe8, betty, j2m3, ki100, KI84 with 30mm option.

Oh and spit 21  would be really good so people can stop whining about the 16  lol  

Bruv
~S~
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2006, 06:16:28 PM »
Karnaks list would make the most sense. If we ever got it scenarios would rock.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Iron_Cross

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2006, 04:31:23 PM »
I agree Shifty, Karnak's list is the most comprehensive at filling in the huge gaps in the planeset.

Four additions I would make would be,

British:

Gloster Gladiator ( The historical match over Malta)
Swordfish

American:

Brewster F2A1 / F2A2 (A1 would be the equal of the 233, and A2 is over Midway)