Author Topic: UK airline bomb plot thwarted  (Read 3291 times)

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
UK airline bomb plot thwarted
« on: August 10, 2006, 01:53:56 AM »
(from BBC, link pasted below)

'Plot to blow up planes' foiled  

All airports have been put under the restrictions
A terrorist plot to blow up planes in mid-flight from the UK to the US has been disrupted, Scotland Yard has said.
It is thought the plan was to detonate explosive devices smuggled on aircraft in hand luggage.

Police have arrested about 18 people in the London area after an anti-terrorist operation lasting several months.

Security at all airports in the UK has been tightened and delays are expected. MI5 has raised the UK threat level to critical - the highest possible.

According to MI5's website, critical threat level means "an attack is expected imminently and indicates an extremely high level of threat to the UK".

BBC home affairs correspondent Daniel Sandford says he does not think the police believe an attack is imminent.

I was handed a piece of paper saying that pretty much nothing could be taken on board the plane

Joe Lynam
BBC journalist at Gatwick

In full: Transport advice  

"The reason for raising the threat level is in case there is some other sub-plot, back-up plot around this that the police aren't aware of," he said.

Scotland Yard said in a statement that their investigation into the alleged plot was a "major operation" which would be "lengthy and complex".

"We would like to reassure the public that this operation was carried out with public safety uppermost in our minds."

Home Secretary John Reid confirmed that there had been a plot "to bring down a number of aircraft through mid-flight explosions causing a considerable loss of life".

Transparent bags

The Department for Transport set out the details of the security measures at UK airports.

THREAT LEVEL
 The current threat level is assessed as critical as of 10th August 2006 - this means that an attack is expected imminently and indicates an extremely high level of threat to the UK

MI5 statement

Passengers will not be allowed to take any hand luggage on to any flights in the UK, the department said.

Only the barest essentials - including passports and wallets - will be allowed to be carried on board in transparent plastic bags.

"We hope that these measures, which are being kept under review by the government, will need to be in place for a limited period only," the statement said.

BBC journalist Joe Lynam encountered the increased security measures at Gatwick airport.

"I was handed a piece of paper saying that pretty much nothing could be taken on board the plane," he said.

"Everything had to be checked in and that includes mobile phones, ipods, wallets - even spectacle cases had to be checked in."

David Learmount from Flight International Magazine said he expected passengers to be searched much more carefully.

He added: "This is the first time this measure has actually been taken. Certainly I've never seen hand luggage banned."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4778575.stm
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline 101ABN

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 04:50:48 AM »
watching that on the news now.... WTG Brits, chalk one up for the good guys.... i wonder how this is going to effect flights in the US.. i have to conduct a military funeral this weekend and i normally check in a box of M16s on to the flight... this is going to be interesting..

Offline mora

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 05:15:53 AM »
Apparently liquid explosives were to be used, smuggled in with the carry-on luggage.

Offline Edbert1

• Silver Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
UK terror plot thwarted
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 05:51:44 AM »
On the news now...Scottland Yard busted the diaper-heads before they could pull off their plan. They are withholding many details so far but they were going to blow up multiple trans-atlantic flights out of Heathrow (and possibly JFK).

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 05:59:40 AM »
Way to F***ing go Scottland Yard! :aok

cnn

LONDON, England (CNN) -- British police say they have arrested 21 people in connection with a terrorist plot to blow up aircraft flying from the United Kingdom to the United States.

The plot was "intended to be mass murder on an unimaginable scale," Metropolitan Police Deputy Commissioner Paul Stephenson said. The UK's threat warning level has been raised to "critical" -- meaning "an attack is expected imminently."

London's Heathrow airport was closed to most European flights Thursday morning, causing chaos for thousands of travelers. The closure to incoming traffic at the world's busiest international airport applied to flights of three hours or less, a spokesman said. (Full story)

The plot involved hiding masked liquid explosives in carry-on luggage, a U.S. government official told CNN. A U.S. administration official said United, Continental and American airlines were believed to be among airlines targeted by the plot.

British and U.S. security agencies quickly moved to limit carry-on items, causing extended delays at airport security checkpoints. The British Airports Authority said no hand luggage would be allowed onto planes leaving UK airports. (Full story)

Stephenson said the plot involved a plan to blow up passenger jets flying between the United Kingdom and the United States.

He said 21 people were arrested by London, Birmingham and Thames Valley police overnight in an ongoing operation.

"This is about people who are desperate ... who want to do things that no right-minded citizen of this country or any other country would want to tolerate," Stephenson said.

The arrests were the result of a "covert counter-terrorist operation," police said. "It is believed that the aim was to detonate explosive devices smuggled on board the aircraft in hand luggage."

Britain's Home Secretary John Reid said: "We are doing everything possible to disrupt any other terrorist activity. This will mean major disruptions from all UK airports."

In the United States, the Department of Homeland Security raised the terror threat to the highest level of "severe," or red, for commercial flights originating in the United Kingdom bound for the United States.

In addition, the threat level has been raised to "high," or orange for all commercial flights operating in or coming to the United States, a DHS statement said.

"Due to the nature of the threat revealed by this investigation, we are prohibiting any liquids, including beverages, hair gels, and lotions from being carried on the airplane," the statement said."

A U.S. Transporation Safety Adminstration official said travelers should show up at least two hours ahead of their flights and bring plenty of patience. According to the DHS, there is no indication the plot involved American counterparts.

The alleged terror plot comes more than five years after Briton Richard Reid attempted to detonate explosives hidden in his sneakers on an American Airlines flight from Paris to Miami in December 2001, only a few months after the September 11, 2001 attacks in New York and Washington.

Passengers thwarted his plan, and the plane landed safely in Boston. Reid pleaded guilty to terrorism charges in October 2002 and is serving a life sentence at the nation's super-maximum security prison in Florence, Colorado.
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 06:06:45 AM »
Congrats to Scotland Yard.   :aok   To hell with the "jihad".
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
WTG Scotland Yard!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 06:58:51 AM »
'Airlines terror plot' disrupted

It would have been horrific if the plan would have gone undiscovered & had been carried out
wtg MPS !!
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 07:01:25 AM »
Who was actually behind the plot the text doesn't say. Local Londoners? :huh

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 07:02:56 AM »
Third thread on this.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 07:04:10 AM »
I blame boosh.  Blair too.  What the heck, it's probably Lieberman's fault as well.  It's pretty clear neither of the Clintons or Carter had anything to do with it.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 07:07:42 AM »
Originally posted by Charge
Who was actually behind the plot the text doesn't say. Local Londoners? :huh

-C+

more then likely young nubile Laplander girls obviously.
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 07:09:03 AM »
What Masherbrum said.:aok

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 07:09:29 AM »
Oh boy, now I have little dogs gnawing my heels... :rolleyes:

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline Edbert1

• Silver Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2006, 07:09:39 AM »
All of those arrested were Born in the UK, apparently inspired by Jihadi preachers/websites with Al Qaeda ties.

I've been wondering for quite some time why those who preach jihad in the Mosques are not being rounded up and prosecuted, and for that matter why the ISPs and co-lo facilities that house Jihadi websites are not shut down if domestic or blown to smithereens if foreign. We blew up Joseph Goebels' radio stations didn't we?

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 07:12:28 AM »
Seems to be the time to require all muslims who fly to wear skintight pink jumpsuits with a picture of arnold the pig on them and have no luggage.
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!