Author Topic: I think my dog is dying...  (Read 1536 times)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
I think my dog is dying...
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2006, 06:38:56 PM »
Knowing how pampered that garage is, Im sure he's living the good life with you guys!

Glad to hear he's on the mend.

I've checked back a few times hoping for good news
:)

Offline wulfie

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.twinkies.com/index.asp
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2006, 07:42:14 PM »
If they have to send your Doggie down for the long nap, bring a big blanket he likes to the vet. Sit on the blanket, put his head on your lap, and they'll administer the meds to him right there. Just rub his neck or whatever until he conks out for the last time (down here at least).

It happens very, very fast and there is no drama. I'd say a kid of over 12 or 13 would probably be okay with the whole situation (being there, petting the dog or cat, etc.) but I'd 2x check with the DVM and of course you have kids and I do not. :)

But in my book, that's the 'right way' to do it. When you send them off to wherever they are going, you should be the last person with them.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2006, 08:31:51 PM »
that's great news, enjoy him!!

and wulf is right, that's what my 20 year old and I did
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2006, 08:36:27 PM »
Wulfie's right.

My ex gf couldnt bring herself to watch her old dog be put down.  So I stayed in there with him.  I just sighed and pet my buddy to sleep.

Then I went in the car and cried like a baby.

Sigh

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2006, 08:58:59 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
We just came back from the vet, with a living dog!

Fantastic news Rip! :aok

Cheers,
asw
asw
Latrine Attendant, 1st class
semper in excretio, solum profundum variat

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2006, 09:00:42 PM »
First, I'm happy he's doing better. Enjoy him and spoil him with love.

In my time I've put down three of my Labs. Without doubt some of the hardest, saddest days of my entire life. There is nothing sadder than having to make the decision for an old dog. We owe them a dignified end, however, and the time comes when pain and fraility rob them of meaningful life. Then we have to serve them well one last time.

Time to buy a pup, Rip. Only way to get over losing one is to have another at home to continue the journey. Might as well get ahead of the curve.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2006, 10:27:55 PM »
We just came back from the vet, with a living dog!  His hemogloban didn't drop. They said to take him home and monitor him for a few days. They think that it is a tumor that bled suddenly, but seems to have stopped on its own. (X-Rays apparently don't pick up tumors as well as ultra-sound does) The vet mentioned that if it bleeds again, it could bleed quickly and he may die, but for now, "nothing we can do for him except full blown surgery which is worse on a dog his age"....

He's walking around, albeit slowly now. He's not heaving and panting like this morning....strange! This morning I thought this was it!  Tough ol' mutt.  Thanks for your support guys....false alarm on my part but if you'd seen this dog this morning...

I just want to thank all you guys for your stories and your support. Gordon, my 10 year old and I read them together today to help us get through this mini-crisis.  It is heart-felt.  Now our dog Sol gets to sniff around the 4 ft. deep hole I dug for him...who knows, might be inspiration for him to live another year or two! ;)

Down in New Orleans, we call this time "lagniappe" (or something extra). Grill him a piece of chicken or 6 when you get the notion :) Good news, hope it works out for a long time!

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2006, 12:55:06 PM »
Rip,

Hows the critter doing?
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2006, 01:27:59 PM »
Mav,
Havent' seen him today as I left at 4:15am this morning. The oldest son reports that he's just lounging around the backyard like nothing happened... (Except for the $423 vet bill check I wrote! yikes!)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2006, 08:34:32 AM »
Good to hear.
One of my dogs got ran over last year. I spend some 2000 dollars on the fixing. She's fine (with a little limp and thereby restricted max speed ;)) and everyone is happy ;)
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2006, 10:01:12 AM »
Hi Rip,

Mav,
Havent' seen him today as I left at 4:15am this morning. The oldest son reports that he's just lounging around the backyard like nothing happened... (Except for the $423 vet bill check I wrote! yikes!)

Glad to hear of your doggie's recovery, their relatively short life expectancy compared to humans is the hardest part of owning a dog.

Just a funny story to share with you about the above.

After a friend's Labrador puppy managed to chew and swallow several of his son's Legos, they rushed the understandably uncomfortable dog to the vet, who performed surgery to remove the ten or so blocks. After they got the bill for the surgery, which cost over $1K, my appalled friend apparently took it and put it in the puppies face and said "Bad Dog! Baaaad Dog! No Surgery next time!  

Surprisingly, he hasn't eaten any more toys since then....

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2006, 03:00:46 PM »
My favorite Dog (and I've had many) was my black Lab named Brooks.  He was a great friend.  Had him until 1999.  He was 15 and I had to put him down.  He could only drag his back legs.  Hardest thing I ever had to do was sit next to him on the Vets table....with my arm around him. like I would put my arm around my Son and he looking into my eyes while the Vet gave him his last shot.  He just fell asleep in my arms.  A lousy moment in life.

But...I have many fond memories of him....he had habits.  If I were working in the Yard he was always with me.  And one particularly hot day I sat down on our concrete back Patio......Brooks sat down next to me....his rump right next to mine.....looked into my eyes as if to say..."OK....whatta we do next?" Unreal communication.  I still smile when I think of that.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2006, 03:42:30 PM »
Rip, so sorry to hear.  Don't know what else to say.

hap