Author Topic: I think my dog is dying...  (Read 1538 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
I think my dog is dying...
« on: August 14, 2006, 08:43:09 AM »
Went outside, and he can't stand up without tipping over. His breathing is very heavy.  We're taking him into the vet at 7:30am. He's 15+ years old so his health deterioration is not unexpected.  The kids are in the office here laying next to him comforting him.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 08:47:12 AM »
sorry to hear that :(

loosing a pet is really hard on both the kids and the adults. Never forget when we lost our flatcoated..

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 08:47:18 AM »
Sucks to hear that Rip. I know how that feels to lose a companion.
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 09:00:12 AM »
Sorry to hear that Rip.  I've lost a few pets, including one who was my friend longer than any other friend I ever had.  

Any chance the dog got into something toxic like radiator fluid or rat poison?  A quick sweep of the house and yard before going to the vet might help save you some expensive lab work if you find something suspicious like a chewed up bottle of radiator fluid...
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 09:18:38 AM »
Very sorry to hear that, Ripsnort.  :(

I hope everything goes as well as it can.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 09:24:44 AM »
We'll leave in 15 minutes. I hope its only a intestinal tract thing or something like that...thanks's for the support guys. He's been a good family dog so far, we want him to stick around alittle longer if he can!

Photo taken last Christmas:
http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL767/2726312/8668097/122143996.jpg

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: I think my dog is dying...
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 09:27:21 AM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Went outside, and he can't stand up without tipping over. His breathing is very heavy.  We're taking him into the vet at 7:30am. He's 15+ years old so his health deterioration is not unexpected.  The kids are in the office here laying next to him comforting him.

:(   <> Rip
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 09:30:00 AM »
Bummer Rip.

Hope he makes it.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 09:36:57 AM »
i am going through the exact same thing.  my dog pablo kept falling over the other day.  he struggled so hard but couldnt stand up.  i had to carry him back into the house.  he seems to have recovered though and i think  that it might have been a stroke.  the look in his eyes was heartwrenching.  he's checked out okay since, but he has some pretty bad arthritis in his hips and he cant stand for too long without getting tired.

we thought we were going to have to put his brother "wigglebutt" down recently too, he couldnt even lift himself.  but it turned out to be a hard case of diabetes mixed with fatassedness.  now he gets a shot in the butt everyday and a special diet.  we joke and say that we are now renting time with "lazerus the wonderbutt" at the cost of about 275 a month.

so there is hope.  

still,  these episodes have made me come to terms with the fact that i am going to have to say goodbye to both of them soon.  

they are both just getting old.

i'm probably writing this as much for me as i am for you, but i want you to know that someone out here understands what you are going through and is in the same boat as you are.

its a terrible thought, but i think that you will agree that it's better to have known them for all these years.  they are my family as i am sure yours is for you.

heres hoping it goes well today and i hope you will accept a few prayers from me and my old fellas on your best friends behalf.

ripsnort and friend.
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 09:45:28 AM »
sorry to hear that rip
I had to put down our shepard/akita mix last month
she was 13 years old - that was the hardest thing I have ever had to do
just remember to do what is best for them, they should not suffer for our selfishness
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 09:51:35 AM »
I lost a cat to rat poison, burried it myself.
Hang tough Rip:)
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Modas

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 10:19:46 AM »
Good luck RIP.  I hope everything works out.

Brings tears to my eyes at the thought.  I hope my lab goes on his own when its his time.

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 11:44:58 AM »
Good luck. When I was kid, we had dogs, but they were outside dogs. We were typical kids - cry for a dog, love them to death for 3 three weeks, then pretty much ignore them. I didnt get another dog till I was 42. He lives inside (all 7 lbs of him)  and is more like a family member than a dog. I can imagine how gut wrenching it is for you.

Hope he's ok

Offline Flatbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2006, 12:11:31 PM »
One of my Danes had what seems to be the same problem. She lost equlibrium, had mini convulsions and was listless. The Doc diagnosed her with canine vestibular diasease.

Read this and see if it fits your dogs symptoms...

http://www.peoriahs.org/vestibular.html

The good news is that it will pass with a bit of TLC.

My Dane was only 7 when this happened, she lived to 12 with no bad effects of the disease. 12 is about 3 years more than a typical for a Dane.

I realy hope that this is all it is Rip, kind thought comming your way.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2006, 12:18:17 PM »
Well the prognosis isn't good. He has internal bleeding and his hemogloban count was down in the lower 20's. They said at his age, its unlikely that he'd survive exploritory surgery/fixing the problem.  They said there is a chance it might "fix itself" so they're going to monitor his hemogloban count until 3pm today. If it continues to deteriorate, we'll put him down this afternoon.

I'm off to dig a nice spot for my hunting companion to rest in under a nice shady tree.

The kids are not doing too good right now.  My oldest is skipping football practice to be with his buddy during his last moments.

Thanks all, you've been very supportive.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 01:27:25 PM by Ripsnort »