Author Topic: Apologies to All....  (Read 1648 times)

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Apologies to All....
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2006, 11:36:07 AM »
Originally posted by mussie
Uber from the following words and phrases
Dopaminergic
neurotransmission
dopamine D2 receptors
goal-directed motor task

I think it refers to how the brain learns to control motor skills (hand eye co-ord ?) whilst in a goal orientated situation....

Or to put into UBER terms:
Like when you get to second base for the first time as a teenager and you try to undo a bra with one hand... You never forget how not to do it... :)

Hehe, *much* better explained then i did :).

(And the limbic system is mostly controlled by noradrenegic (positive) and serotoninergic (negative) neurons.)
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Apologies to All....
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2006, 11:43:04 AM »
Originally posted by SunKing
5 years and nothings changed, just the names.

Exactly what I thought after 5 minutes in the MA. (errrr... isn't that 7 years now?)
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
Apologies to All....
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2006, 11:44:37 AM »
So what they were saying is that goal orientate motor tasks cause an increase of dopamine in the brain....

And as playing a video game requires hand eye co-ordination, ie the brain co-ordinating the information being received by the visual, aural and tactile senses with the bodies muscles via the nervious system, this would make sense.

Because  (If I understand you correctly) dopamine is a neuro tranmitter associated with controling the motor skills...

:D

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Apologies to All....
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2006, 11:44:51 AM »
Dopamine has a WIDE variety of effects in the brain, depending on what part of the brain you look at and what specific dopamine receptors are involved in the circuit.

In motor control areas, dopamine manages movement and especially fine control -- which is partly why Parkinson's patients have that tremor all the time, and why medicines that increase their dopamine levels can reduce the tremor and improve control.

It gets really interesting, though, when you look at the frontal cortex. The front areas of the brain, over the eyes, are important for personality and for emotion. (For example, frontal lobe seizures may NOT have any shaking, just uncontrollable outbursts of irrational anger....without having a dweeby AH death to blame for it)

Frontal areas depend on dopamine receptors for behavior/reward learning loops, and for pleasure in general. In fact many "uppers" like dexadrine and cocaine trigger responses in the frontal dopamine system for their "high."

Anyway, that combined influence on reward loops and pleasure ion general means that addctive behaviors are tightly tied to the dopamine system....and explains both why Parkinson's Disease patients are VERY unlikely to be addcitive gamblers, and why some dopamine active medicines used for Parkinson's include addictive behavior as side effects.

Bu that doesnt mean gamers, who know a little about behavior/reward cycles, are victims of chemistry. The brain LEARNS more than just facts, and it is incredible adaptive to what we throw at it. Behavior modification can change chemical levels in the brain....and for example kids growing up with lots of TV and video games have lower tolerance for delayed gratification, because of the instantaneous nature of the reward cycles they're been trained in

So, while it may be fair to say that we victims of Aces Crack likely have higher frontal dopamine levels -- our choices determine our behavior, NOT our chemistry.

It is nice to know, though, that we have a low risk of parkinsons disease....

Simaril
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 11:50:26 AM by Simaril »
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Apologies to All....
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2006, 12:05:31 PM »
Originally posted by BugsBunny
And I could post a list of the people you are talking about :D
Guilty dogs bark first!:aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Apologies to All....
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2006, 12:36:38 PM »
Originally posted by Simaril

Simaril

and yet a higher risk of poor eyesight from hours squinting at the screen, kidney stones from holding a 6 pack for an hour while trying to chase down a la la, and high blood pressure from running away from said la la when he realizes you're a red guy ;)
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Re: Apologies to All....
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2006, 12:47:57 PM »
Originally posted by RedTop
.....snip...

I'll try and pretty well promise you that will never happen again.

.squelch  soandso is my new deal.

All

back at you -- for trying to do the right thing.

We've all been there, and even Schatzi cracks now and then (which means she slips from "inhuman kindness" to " a very kind person") I've had a few get well under my skin too.

I've made a rule for myself, that I'm not allowed to say anything after a painful sortie. Thats kept my mouth shut for the few minutes it takes to realize whats important after all....

And it doesnt hurt when I remind myself that no matter how much I hate being around a jerk, its worse for THEM -- because they have to be with themselves all the time!
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
Apologies to All....
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2006, 01:26:13 PM »
Originally posted by Simaril
Dopamine has a WIDE variety of effects in the brain, depending on what part of the brain you look at and what specific dopamine receptors are involved in the circuit.

In motor control areas, .....

Simaril

Just goes to show if you think youre smart you arent. That tidbit of info on the frontal lobe was conveniently missing from my books/education. Thanks for the outline Simaril. I learned something new there. :)

But if i understood correctly, Dopa is the *positive* agent here. That means high level of Dopamine would result in pleasure/reward and positive feelings. In other (non-scientific) words, playing AH should reduce negative emotional outbursts from a brain chemistry POV. (Im not talking about human interaction and choices here, which IMHO are the bigger factor here)

Id really like to get my hands on that study now... i wonder which parts of the brain exactly showed increased Dopa levels. Maybe AH is *literally* addicting? :D

Thanks and >>S<< Simaril.

PS: May i ask what your connection to neurology is?

Offline Clutz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Apologies to All....
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2006, 01:37:16 PM »
All I know is that when I sneak up on some body's 6 and blow them up and shoot off parts to their plane, I immediately get this happy feeling. Its a rush. It makes me happy happy. I don't know why, but it does. It must be some chemical shooting back and forth to little receptors in my brain or whatever like that. And when the net lag makes it so I cant get a kill, the reverse may happen. I have learned threw self discipline to calmly walk away and try later. This was quite hard to learn to do though. But as adults, that is what adults should know how to do. After that last Ah update when everything went wrong I sent a somewhat nasty email to AH (I didn't know who Skuzzy was back then). The next day I felt nothing but shame and sent an apology email. I don't know why I did it. It was like I got angry cause I couldn't get my brain chemical fix or something.  Kind of like what happens to "THE HULK". I bet there are lawyers that use this line of thinking for a defendants defense. But I say this, self restraint in an odd situation is an even better feeling than a kill on somebodys 6. It really is. A positive attitude and self control makes a happy person under ANY situation.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
Apologies to All....
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2006, 01:40:46 PM »
Ooook, well, next time my dog eats chocolate, or I have a biology test, I guess I know where to go ;)
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline uberhun

• Nickel Member
Apologies to All....
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2006, 01:49:11 PM »
Originally posted by mussie
Uber from the following words and phrases
Dopaminergic
neurotransmission
dopamine D2 receptors
goal-directed motor task

I think it refers to how the brain learns to control motor skills (hand eye co-ord ?) whilst in a goal orientated situation....

Or to put into UBER terms:
Like when you get to second base for the first time as a teenager and you try to undo a bra with one hand... You never forget how not to do it... :)
:rofl :rofl
OH YOU BASTAGE MUSSIE! :p

Offline Clutz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Apologies to All....
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2006, 02:08:46 PM »
I bet chemical reactions within the brain are a survival mechanism that goes back to cro-magnon man. If a cro-magnon hunter was out hunting food like we hunt AH enemy's, a successful hunt would stimulate the brain and thus help the survival of the species. Logical? I got way to much time on my hands today. :cool:

Offline Sooner00

• Zinc Member
Apologies to All....
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2006, 02:28:07 PM »
Y does that Beaver have boobies?

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Apologies to All....
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2006, 02:29:34 PM »
Pretty soon we'll be talking about sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
Apologies to All....
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2006, 02:33:25 PM »
Originally posted by fuzeman
Pretty soon we'll be talking about sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems.

Aces High *definitly* fires up the sympathicus. :D