Author Topic: Help with some questions about filming  (Read 853 times)

Offline jamesdeanoo7

• Copper Member
Help with some questions about filming
« on: August 19, 2006, 08:11:38 AM »
Hey guys thanks to all your help I am managing to understand more about filming. I am using fraps ( I just bought the full version but havent tried it yet )  and windows movie maker. I check the record no sound box so I can add sound or a sound track.
Where can i download some original archive footage.
How do I get rid of friendly and enemy icons ????
how do I get rid of the yellow box that comes on when someone speaks.
After I finish a film I guess jpeg is the best format to save it in, where can I host the film so it can be viewed using a link.
anyone help me here ?

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 12:49:18 PM »
1) Archive footage-do a web search
2) Removing icons-there's a box in film viewer to remove them
3) jpeg format-that's an image format, not film.  Download Fraps  
 (http://www.fraps.com) to convert your .ahf(film) footage to .avi  format,          then  edit in Movie Maker or whatever you're using.  When finished, save in .wmv format. http://www.putfile.com is a free movie hosting site if the film is under 50 megs.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline jamesdeanoo7

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 01:21:44 PM »
Thanks alot I only mentioned the mpg file thing as my first attempt asked me what format I wanted to save it in an I saved it as an mpg or mp3 file but if you say thewmv is best that will do for me... Thanks for the help....by the way have you ever tried potato.com   just interested in a comparison if you have. Also what about the names that appear on the screen when they use the radio. can I get rid of that or must I just go radio silent for the whole mission...would tean speak still appear ????

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 12:13:09 AM »
mpeg format will give you better quality, but it will be much larger Mb wise.  Don't have an answer for the name popping up when someone speaks problem.  I know it's not very noticable in films though.
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩

Offline Reynolds

• Gold Member
      • http://flyingknights.csmsites.com
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 07:25:44 AM »
Hey, any free programs good at editing?

Offline jamesdeanoo7

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 10:25:56 AM »

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 11:10:33 AM »
Fraps doesn't edit, just records.  You can use Windows Movie Maker that comes free with Service Pack 2, or download it off the window catalog site, it's free & will give you all the tools to make a film.  A lot of good films have been done using WMM.  That's the only free one I know of.  Use that to make your first couple films.  If you decided to stick with it, I'll help ya find a better program for free or cheap.  
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩

Offline Reynolds

• Gold Member
      • http://flyingknights.csmsites.com
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 02:26:52 PM »
Thanks!

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 07:00:58 PM »
James, do a search on "fraps" in this forum. With some patience you can dig up threads that explain how to go from ingame fight to film with music added.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline jamesdeanoo7

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 08:24:45 AM »
Thanks Schatzi I can do all the editing, credits, music etc I just dont get this icon thing I mean I diseable them and they arent there when I film but when I view it they are back. You say you can edit them out at the viewer stage. I see a no curser box but nothing about icons ????

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 08:45:29 AM »
Check the Free Multiplayer thread!

No cursor ----> FRAPS

Icon toggle --> AH film viewer
21 is only half the truth.

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 10:37:02 AM »
You can use VirtualDub (it's free) to crop your view to cut out the unwanted things like mic transmit text.

Here's a tutorial by Dart that you can find on http://www.simhq.com that walks through all the steps of making movies (including using virtualdub to crop):

http://www.simhq.com/_air3/air_116a.html

Hope that helps!

Tango, XO
412th FS Braunco Mustangs
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline jamesdeanoo7

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 10:47:23 AM »
Schatzi ...Please just tell me where the box is too diseable the icons also some of the footage I shot with the icons off  stayed that way when I viewed it but others didnt....maybe I am accidentaly using a mapped key that is toggling them in the viewer. Jim.

Offline jamesdeanoo7

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 10:54:42 AM »
Thats really interesting but that tutorial again says nothing of removing icons at the windows viewer stage. If it does dont just say it does ....tell me where lol or is it a secret

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2006, 11:17:47 AM »
There are 2 ways of capturing Aces High footage that I know of and therefore 2 different ways to turn off icons in Aces High:

#1 Method of Video Capture: Fraps capture of "in-game" Aces High footage.  This is where you capture with Fraps while you are flying "live" in the game.  

The only option here is to turn off the icons in the Aces High game before you start capturing with Fraps.  Alt+I will cycle through the Aces High icon modes "in-game" including turning off all icons.

#2 Method of Video Capture: Fraps capture of Aces High Film Viewer footage.  This is where you capture with Fraps of Aces High footage viewed via the Aces High Filmviewer of footage you have recorded using the Alt+R function in Aces High.  

The AHFilm application is used to playback the Alt+R recorded footage from AH.  There is a checkbox in the upper right hand quadrant of the application called "Icons".

Check the "Icons" box.  Then uncheck the "Icons" box.  Icons now should be turned off.  By default icons are turned on in AHFilm eventhough the checkbox is unchecked - a little quirk of AHFilm.

Hope that helps!

Tango, XO
412th FS Braunco Mustangs
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 11:48:49 AM by dtango »
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)