Author Topic: This just in - pounding Iraq  (Read 3267 times)

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
This just in - pounding Iraq
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2001, 05:17:00 PM »

Originally posted by Moose11:
Hey Dowding,

Who bailed out the UK during WWII?  

Don'tcha love it when people aren't gracious? Without the US stepping in (as forced as we were) and shipping so many resources to the Brits, you would be under the Nazi regime.

(well, that's a pretty stiff comment to make but there is little doubt Britain would have fell or relented to the Germans without the USA.)

All this endless bickering...

Yup, Britain was a good platform... remember where all the planes flew from?  If Britain had been overwhelmed by Germany then where would the US had flown from?

As for all the supplies from the US, well that was extremely costly to Britain with many islands, properties in US, money and the all important technology was what Britain had to give up.  If Britain had have been invaded and taken over earlier without the help of the US, I wonder just how advanced the US would be now without all this 'leading' technology?  (many of Britain's secrets were exchanged and if the US hadn't had stepped in then how would they ahve got Nazi technology?)  Fortunately for the US they made a lot out of Britain after both WW1 and WW2.  So, please no more 'bail outs', I think you guys made enough out of Britain, perhaps a lot more than you realise.

Nexx

Thought... Now if Britain had stayed neutral then I wonder how long the secrets would have stayed in Britain....
NEXX

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2001, 06:06:00 PM »
"We don't need our troops overseas to be a major factor in the world economy"

Oh my this is too good. Ill let you stew in that illusion.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2001, 08:43:00 PM »
Tac, you must be sampling your country's major export.  
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2001, 10:31:00 AM »
Rip, I do have some problems, one of them is involving into flame wars with people who belong to completely different culture, and trying to express my opinion in a foreign language.  

Raubvogel, Pravda is no more then a marginal nazi-communist leaflet now. After it was abandoned by Greeks that owned it for about 5 years it got even worse.

In Communist times I always listened to shortwave radio to know Western point of view on what's happening. Now I listen to many pro-Western Russian media, some official news like ORT and sometimes read left-radical newspapers - they are so funny! And definetly the Net is a great source of information where you can find any point of view.

------------------
With respect,
    Pavel Pavlov,
    Commissar 25th IAP WB VVS

Offline pzvg

• Zinc Member
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2001, 10:59:00 AM »
boroda, Think we have a slight cutural difference, Your military may "routinely" lock up civil aircraft, Ours would never do that, and we don't even lockup military A/c except during given training, it's considered "impolite" (Army slang for the chopper will land at your position and the crew will beat the living toejam outta you)

------------------
pzvg- "5 years and I still can't shoot"

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2001, 11:37:00 AM »
Don't bother Nexx - our American friends like to think of themselves as the saviours of Western civilisation, and anything other than unbridled gratitude (with a little sychophany stirred in) is considered deceitful and treacherous.  
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2001, 10:41:00 AM »
Pzvg, certainly there are many differences. For example: Russian Air Force never bombed cities that are about to be taken by their allies burning down 100000 civilians in one night. Russia never droped nukes onto cities just to see what happens. Russian planes never poured napalm on villages. Russia never sent it's strategic bombers to bomb powerstation levees. Russia never bombed independany countries killing thousands of civilians because of so-called "human rights violation". Russia never bombed civilians because their leader wears the wrong dress.

OTOH - Russia supplied nations being "bombed down to stone age" with SAMs and interceptors to protect civilians.

I think that this difference is caused by the fact that Russians know how it feels when your home is bombed to dust, while US escaped this sad experience.

How many SAMs does the US have now? Did they ever score any kills? I think that my Uncle's personal record (4 kills in Vietnam and some more in Middle East, S-75 "Dvina" targeting officer) is bigger then the whole US SAM history.

About being polite: was it a joke? In my understanding "impolite" is to eat with your bare hands in public. Another cultural difference, BTW. But I think that the existance of McDonald's is not a reason to bomb US.

Sorry for such an angry post. I have been in the US myself and I think that Americans are nice and vigorous people. But I believe that supporting the bombings is immoral. That's my personal opinion and I doubt that I will ever change it.

------------------
With respect,
    Pavel Pavlov,

LJK Raubvogel

« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2001, 11:56:00 AM »

Originally posted by Boroda:
Pzvg, certainly there are many differences. For example: Russian Air Force never bombed cities that are about to be taken by their allies burning down 100000 civilians in one night. Russia never droped nukes onto cities just to see what happens. Russian planes never poured napalm on villages. Russia never sent it's strategic bombers to bomb powerstation levees. Russia never bombed independany countries killing thousands of civilians because of so-called "human rights violation". Russia never bombed civilians because their leader wears the wrong dress.

HAHAHA....maybe not, but the US never killed millions more of its own people than the enemy did. Or maybe they didn't teach you about the Stalin purgings? Russian planes never poured napalm on villages? You guys have a short memory...let me give ya a little hint...AFGHANISTAN. LOL

How many SAMs does the US have now? Did they ever score any kills? I think that my Uncle's personal record (4 kills in Vietnam and some more in Middle East, S-75 "Dvina" targeting officer) is bigger then the whole US SAM history.
[/b]

How did your relatives fair against F-86's in the Korean War?  

Sorry for such an angry post. I have been in the US myself and I think that Americans are nice and vigorous people. But I believe that supporting the bombings is immoral. That's my personal opinion and I doubt that I will ever change it.

Thank you, I needed a good laugh today.   hehehe the Soviet Union teaching the United States about human rights LOL.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2001, 12:53:00 PM »
No Dowding.

It's actually more like:

"They are just absolutely sick to death of hearing how the spectators in the cheap seats could have done it faster, better, cheaper and in a much more humanitarian fashion, without a trace of national self-interest."

It's such an EASY game...why don't you folks take the field for a while?

The game is called "damned if you do, damned if you don't." I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline paintmaw

• Copper Member
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2001, 01:01:00 PM »
Yeah Ruskies are such humanitarians ,, hahaha ,Downing , are you russian too , You liberal commie bastard . Mother russia toejams on their civilians daily , Sell arms to terrorist who kill women and children . GOD I'm glad I'm American !!! yes Sadam is a kind , caring DICTATOR !!! ARE YOU GUYS BLIND OR JUST STUPID
OH,, I almost forgot GET THE HELL OUT OF IRELAND YOU LAND GRABBIN SOB's
If ya go back far enough , Most Americans were euro's (idiot)

[This message has been edited by paintmaw (edited 02-22-2001).]

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2001, 01:32:00 PM »
So - who's next?  

Raubvogel, my Uncle got wounded by one of the first Shrikes used in Vietnam. My family had cavalry, artillery (including Guards Jet Mortars and Anti Aircraft Defence) and engineering officers, noone served as a pilot, noone was in Korea.

I don't support Saddam. I will always stand for the poor people who suffer from "peacekeeping" bombings.

Selling arms to terrorists?! Facts please! Isn't it the US who welcomes Chechen representatives? Who the hell sold them Stingers?

Nice to see so many people hating my nation. I like these flame wars!  

------------------
With respect,
    Pavel Pavlov,

Offline pzvg

• Zinc Member
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2001, 01:53:00 PM »
You want a fact? Ok try these on for size
AK series of rifles, most common terrorist weapon made in Russia
Semtex, most common explosive used by terrorists made in Russia
RPG-7 Anti-tank weapon most common terrorist anti-limo weapon, made in Russia
Pray tell need I continue?
You want the Chechnyans to stop blowing up toejam? let them have the independence that they're obviously willing to fight for, I don't really think you'll find them continuing the war if you do.
Find another rationale for your overseas arms sales, supporting the "poor oppressed nations" became passe, maybe y'all just do it for the cold hard cash?
Nice try, your serve.

------------------
pzvg- "5 years and I still can't shoot"

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2001, 02:09:00 PM »
Should the US wax every Iraqi radar site that switches from search to track? That's for the pilot of the F-16 WunderJet to decide, not me. He's the guy who could meet an SA-11 or SA-19 SAM in under 40 seconds. What would I do in that situation? Drop a 500 pound frag NEAR the offending radar site. Just letting them know I don't like being lit up, nothing more. And they persisted in it? Ok, I'd splatter them all over the desert.

You can't really warn a radar site with anything other than a bomb dropped near by. Sanctions? pffft, if and when Sadam sobers up he might actually try playing a nice guy. Personally I don't care what he does. He's being an bellybutton at the moment, just like always. As long as he keeps doing what he's doing he deserves every bomb dropped and every missile fired.

In a differet thread someone questioned whether or not the US should have bombed Sadam himself. I think we should have. Would have saved everyone the trouble of keeping this sanction crap in place.

As for military practices, well every military unit has their little secrets. US AWACS aircraft regularly track drug flights, civilian aircraft, and military planes. F-14 Tomcats and E-2C Hawkeye airborne radar aircraft have been known to track high-altitude civilian aircraft. Especially when operating over the Atlantic. US Navy attack subs will track cruise ships for practice and training of new sonar techs. Boomers (SSBNs) do the same thing, but to use their noisy wake as an accoustic screen.

It's nothing terribly staggering in the form of news. Military units of every country will do just about anything for practice. Targeting civilian flights and tracking cruise ships or tankers has been done by anyone with an airforce or navy for years. Wow, we should run right out and picket the White House or the Joint Chiefs for this terrible act! Goobers. It was done in the past, it's being done now, and they'll do it in the future. Big fat hairy deal.

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta 6's Flight School
Put the P-61B in Aces High
"With all due respect Chaplian, I don't think God wants to hear from me right now.
I'm gonna go out there and remove one of His creations from this universe.
And when I get back I'm gonna drink a bottle of Scotch like it was
Chiggy von Richthofen's blood and celebrate his death."
Col. McQueen, Space: Above and Beyond

LJK Raubvogel

« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2001, 02:16:00 PM »
Boroda, I see you didn't respond to my little wake up call. Don't remember that little place called Afghanistan? What was the USSR doing there....was it humanitarian aid? LOL

You said:  
I will always stand for the poor people who suffer from                  "peacekeeping" bombings.

What about the "poor people" the Russians bombed for 10 years in Afghanistan?  I suppose you've also forgotten about this little thing called the Eastern Bloc? Let me refresh your memory. That's a term used to refer to the forced subjugation of millions of people in 9 formerly sovereign nations.

Before you criticize the US you might want to think about your country's past.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2001, 02:21:00 PM »
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals