Author Topic: Doc`s watch  (Read 142 times)

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Doc`s watch
« on: August 25, 2006, 08:19:51 AM »
Anyone watch History Detectives and see the episode dealing with the pocket watch that was said to have been given to Doc Holliday by Wyatt Earp?
I would have to disagree with their ruling on this one.
The serial number on the watch matched the time period perfectly.
According to the expert, the engraving came from and was done during the correct time period. The engraving was done by hand and totaly matched other engraving from the same area and time period. The wear patterns matched for the time period.
I don`t get it. They ruled that the watch was not authentic based on it being nickel plated instead of gold. They stated that Wyatt would have never given Doc the watch based solely on this. Everything else seemed to match to a T.
#1 This was not the most prosperous and free spending times. Things were pretty lean.
#2 Basing a gift from one friend to another, especialy as close as Wyatt and Doc seemed to be, just don`t cut it. Some of my most memorable gifts from close friends are worth very little or nothing in terms of dollars and cents, but mean more to me than the high dollar gifts I have received.
I beleive the watch has a very good chance of being the real thing. If I were the owner, I would do some more digging and ignore this ruling based purely on dollar and cents value for authenticity.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Doc`s watch
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 08:25:29 AM »
If the inscription was "I'll be your Huckleberry!" then I vote yes.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Doc`s watch
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 08:29:10 AM »
:D
"Skin that smoke wagon!"
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------