Author Topic: HT - please lower the eny threshold  (Read 2153 times)

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
HT - please lower the eny threshold
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2006, 11:29:27 AM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Actually, no, I wouldn't want that ENY to kick in. The terrain files (especially if they're the big maps) are so large that there endless opportunity for that "1" to up anywhere he wants and have free open space. At some point, however, there is no more open space and anywhere you go is gang bang country (TM).

So at low number you don't need the ENY limitations, because you have other options. Once those options are gone, you need the limit.

I disagree  the sides with numbers will tag team the low side. This is just human nature, path of least resistance and all.
At the very least perk rides should be unavailable.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2006, 11:37:05 AM »
Needle in a haystack. If there's nobody on the map, there's not going to be any real action, anyways.

You have to wait until there's actually enemies meeting enemies before you kick ENY in, otherwise the folks just joyriding around the country side will be porked over.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2006, 11:42:13 AM »
Tell me then whats the diff joy riding in a 51D or a 51B ?
Or milk running in a Ju88 opposed to a B-24?

Kick it in .

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2006, 11:45:24 AM »
You could argue it either way. The ENY is to prevent a the horde from steamrolling one side (or in some cases 2 sides) by sheer volume of players. Well 4 vs 1 might be a gang bang but it's not a horde, and they're surely not going to take over the entire map by themselves. It's a much smaller threat to the arena than 200 players are.

I tend to lean toward only kicking in ENY when there's a threat to the balance of the arena, not so much the individual engagements. Heck I get ganged by 5+ cons even when teams are even.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2006, 11:55:23 AM »
Krusty IMHO maps are not "Won" during US prime time. They are merely reset.
The day time mini horde is what wins it. They take a bunch of bases that set up the prime time fights.
 Low uneven numbers during the day need to be addressed.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2006, 12:34:12 PM »
Keep in mind that HT's goal for ENY is the one that matters. ENY was a response to persistant side imbalance that hindered game play. When players complained aboiut the restrictions limiting them, his answer was simple -- switch sides.

The problem now is the same....but at the low end rather than the high end of the numbers scale. And, its different in that for non-prime time players, the pressure tends to move them AWAY from the low side instead of towards it.

Applying the raw ENY formula in low number situations was clearly a bad thing, and we shouldnt think about trying that again. At the same time, the current correction factor seems ineffective, and has the unintended effect of driving people to leave the low team, instead of giving incentive to better balance them.

I guess I'm thinking that it would help to make ENY present earlier -- but that when total numbers are low it would BOTH take a bigger imbalance to trigger, and that when triggered the effect would be less restrictive, than what the regular ENY produces.

Currently, huge imbalances have absolutely no handicap when the total numbers are low....and there ought to be a LITTLE impact when huge imbalances are present.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline richard_rd

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2006, 01:27:01 PM »
I have created two threads about this over the past year, and HiTech has not commented on either one.  Bottom line is Knights have been heavely outnumbered in the USA early mornings for over a year now, and sometimes it is  ridiculous proportions like:

40 Rook
50 Bish
15 Knights

Like others had commented when this happens it is only natural for rooks and bish to gang bang the knights because they are easy pray so knights with the low numbers are fighting a two front war and rooks and bish are only fighting a one front war.

HiTech I Know you tried it in the past , and for some reason you felt that it was not working, but please lower the total arena ENY limiter rule from 200 down to around 75.   It has really sucked being a Knight for the past year when you do most of your flying in the USA early mornings!!!!

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2006, 02:29:29 PM »
I hope this request is viewed differently, because I'm not asking for pressure enough to make the sides even out, and I DONT think that the current ENY rules should extend below 200.

It seems to me that a calculation that kicks in with 75 players on and a 2:1 advantage, resulting in an ENY restriction of 10 could only help the game be more fun for all involved. And, I cant think of a gameplay downside...how could anyone complain about a restriction that soft and gentle?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 02:31:34 PM by Simaril »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2006, 03:06:24 PM »
I think here is where we disagree. We need stricter ENY limits, not softer. They're too soft as-is!

I've seen huge HUGE numbers on one team, and piddly on another. The huge team was barely docked 5 ENY points. It doesn't limit them at all under 99% of all circumstances.

I also think we need to up the ENY of bombers. They're a real menace, to fighters and to targets, and yet almost all of them are 30ENY. I'd like to see the B24 be raised to 15, the B17 and B26 to 20, Lanc to 25, and Ki67/Ju88/A20 remain at 30. Ar234 should be 5 and be the first to be disabled with ENY limitations, just like the 262.

Offline Wax

• Nickel Member
Re: HT - please lower the eny threshold
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2006, 03:16:23 PM »
Originally posted by Simaril
[  about because with low numbers the high side would get severe penalties for relatively small numerical advantages. But I think that turning ENY off completely may ahve gone too far...especially since the side imbalances have seemed far more stable this year, with very little trading of the top and bottom spots.

Wow when did they turn the ENY off?    :eek:
Army of Muppets
 Make this real...the only muppet I have any respect for is Fester. Rest of you muppets can swab my sweat. Trikky

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2006, 03:35:39 PM »
Eny is off when total arena population goes under 200.

It's that way for a good reason -- when the sides are 60/40/40 on a big map, the penalty would be the same as the VERY different situation with 180/120/120. The excess 20 players in the first situation have much, much less impact than the excess 60 horde at night....and so as experience has shown current ENY rules with low numbers online just dont work.

The thread is asking for a very soft ENY penalty down low, so that you dont end up with 60/30/15, and the 60 attacking the 15 in La7s, Niks, and Ponies. That just adds insult to injury....make 'em ride B-ponies, Doras, and hogs!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 03:38:02 PM by Simaril »

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2006, 07:46:04 PM »
I also think we need to up the ENY of bombers. They're a real menace, to fighters and to targets, and yet almost all of them are 30ENY. I'd like to see the B24 be raised to 15, the B17 and B26 to 20, Lanc to 25, and Ki67/Ju88/A20 remain at 30. Ar234 should be 5 and be the first to be disabled with ENY limitations, just like the 262.
Umm . . . You must not fly any bomber but Lancs . . .

B-24, B-26, KI-67 are all 20

B-17 is 15

Ar234 is 5

JU88 and Boston (A20) are 40.

But you are correct.  Lancs are 30.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2006, 09:35:30 AM »
I think here is where we disagree. We need stricter ENY limits, not softer. They're too soft as-is!

I've seen huge HUGE numbers on one team, and piddly on another. The huge team was barely docked 5 ENY points. It doesn't limit them at all under 99% of all circumstances.

LOL yeah yeah I would like the B-17 to be at 20 rather than the 15 it is now lol
I couldn't up one yesterday for a bit, not that I mind being limited.   Also I think the reason the 17 has an eny of 15 and the 24 an eny of 20 is that the 24 will get torn to shreds and cach fire while the 17 can keep flying on it's way while taking much more damage....   Being able to take more bombs don't mean squat if they never get there. :)

Though I would like to see ENY limits get tightened back down a bit... I personally loved it when HT first put it in there was much more variation in fighters flying around the sky back then.  But then again I like flying FM-2's and KI-61's so it never hits me that hard. :D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 09:38:22 AM by Flayed1 »
From the ashes of the old we rise to fly again. Behold The Phoenix Wing!

Offline richard_rd

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2006, 09:44:34 AM »
Oh what fun, another morning of knights being out numbered:

65 Bish
63 Rook
32 Knights

and no ENY to be seen anywhere in sight,   SIGH!!!!!!    :cry :cry :cry

Tired of being jumped in MA by three P51 D's every where I go so figured I would come to the forum and cry about it, definetely more fun then getting constantly gang banged by high ENY planes every morning.

C'Mon HiTech,  Take a look at the server stats for the past year and verify that the knights are always in this situation 90% of the USA mornings.  

Please lower the activation for the  MA ENY penalty from 200 down to 100 players, I am begging you!!!!!  :cry :cry :cry
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 09:54:04 AM by richard_rd »

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2006, 10:00:35 AM »
Straffo doing it by sector doesn't matter, because usually the horde is scattered along 2 fronts and across many many sectors, but still just as effective.

Well it should be very difficult to capture a field with a mix of 109E4 and spitI :)
Especially if the defender can up late war monster ;)