Author Topic: 'Ethical' stem cell lines created  (Read 459 times)

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
'Ethical' stem cell lines created
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2006, 06:10:00 AM »
Nilsen,

You asked if I would refuse treatment for a life-threatening disease if that treatment involved some moral issue.  I have thought about that, and would like to believe that I would have the moral strength to say "no."

But humans are weak...and none of us could know the answer to that until the actual time came to make such a decision.

Some of those calling for such research are doing so for selfish reasons, and don't give a fig for the moral dilemma that such research raises.  We are a spoiled nation.  An embryo can't talk; ergo it isn't human.  The potential humanity of that embryo be dammed...gimme my cure!

Others who support this research do so because the research agencies, news agencies, and political groups pushing for federal funding of this research have been very effective in convincing the public that it has tremendous potential.

Well...maybe...but so far, despite massive amounts of time and money being spent on it, embryonic stem-cell research has yet to produce a single successful cure of a suffering patient.  Not one.  Indeed, the cells are wildly unpredictable and unmanageable in their growth.  If it wasn't for the blogs, such monumental failures would seldom be heard about.  It is intellectually dishonest for the researchers to continue to lobby for federal funding for a research program that some feel will ultimately turn out to be a dead end.

On the other hand, ADULT stem-cell research shows immense promise, and has already produced numerous success stories, for adult stem-cells are NOT wildly unpredictable in growth and development, and involve no moral and ethical problems.

The type of research mention at the start of this thread, which extracts stem cells from an embryon without ending or marring its potential development also raises fewer moral and ethical questions.

So the question arises, why are we still beating our heads together over federal funding for the stem-cell research that has yet to produce a single success?  Other lines of research exist, as I have shown, that have vastly more potential and far fewer ethical points to divide American citizens.

Regards, Shuckins

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2006, 08:30:47 AM »
nelson... you got your innocent people and you got your guilty people...

I say let the innocent live and kill the guilty... you say the opposite.

lazs

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2006, 08:34:21 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
nelson... you got your innocent people and you got your guilty people...

I say let the innocent live and kill the guilty... you say the opposite.

lazs

no i dont

i guess a stem cell is "people" to you

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2006, 08:53:47 AM »
You didn't say stem cell... you said abortion.

Abortion can be anything from a few days to a few seconds before the last toes leave the mom.

lazs

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2006, 09:35:18 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
You didn't say stem cell... you said abortion.

Abortion can be anything from a few days to a few seconds before the last toes leave the mom.

lazs

The topic is stem celles

But lets take abortion. Legal abortion does not take place just before the toes leave mom. Im not sure how many weeks into the pregnancy you can have one but its just a lump of flesh within the legal timeframe.

Offline BigGun

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2006, 11:04:34 AM »
Originally posted by Shuckins
Those who propose the legalization of stem-cell research are basing their proposals on their own concepts of morality.  They are, in essence, insisting that the laws of the nation be changed to fit their own beliefs.  It is all well and good to believe in interpreting the Constitution loosely, as long as one realizes, as Seagon implies,  that building law codes on such shifting philosophical and moral sands can lead to disaster.

Regards, Shuckins

Since when was stem-cell research illegal???

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2006, 05:18:02 PM »
BigGun,

Oops, sorry.  You caught me in a gaffe.  What I meant to say was that some people wanted the government to change its position on funding stem-cell research.

I typed that first post right after waking up this morning...I was kinda in a fog.

Regards, Shuckins

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2006, 09:13:48 PM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
The topic is stem celles

But lets take abortion. Legal abortion does not take place just before the toes leave mom. Im not sure how many weeks into the pregnancy you can have one but its just a lump of flesh within the legal timeframe.

from Wikipedia
Because the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's annual study on abortion statistics does not calculate the exact gestational age for abortions performed past the 20th week, there is no exact data for the number of abortions performed after viability. In the United States, 1.4% of abortions occur at 21 weeks or later  (approximately 18,000 per year). In 1997, the Alan Guttmacher Institute estimated the number of abortions past 24 weeks to be 0.08% (approximately 1,032 per year).  

And,

from Premature Baby Website
In general, babies born after 24 to 25 weeks of gestation are mature enough to survive, although they will need a prolonged period of intensive care.

Hence, much of the controversy...
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!