Author Topic: scenario planning  (Read 3179 times)

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
scenario planning
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2006, 08:47:51 PM »
Originally posted by Brooke
By that measure, this one is an experiment in people -- for "off the shelf" scenario designs, not new designs -- getting on with it more quickly.  If this doesn't work, then we'll keep the longer timetables and run only two scenarios per year as we have been doing instead of, say, 4 per year, which I'd like to see.

In Air Warrior, there were years where we were able to get out 4 or more scenarios per year.  We did it then, and it should be possible now.

For example, 1995 and 1998 were like this:

Saga of the 5th Air Force (August, 1995)
Battle of Germany 2 (July, 1995)
Kursk 3 (May, 1995)
Munda Weekend (February, 1995)

Kursk 4 (December, 1998)
Afrika, '42 (September, 1998)
Guadalcanal (July, 1998)
Target Germany (June, 1998)
Fortress Rabaul v2 (January, 1998)

What made it possible was quicker timetables for scenarios that weren't completely new designs (such as Fortress Rabaul, Kursk, and Battle of Germany).

One of the things that helped in the AW days, though, were people who would quickly step up for what is needed, such as CO positions.  We'll see how it goes.

Brooke, scheduling more or less events per year depends merely on planning. Various parts of the process can overlap in order to allow more events in a given time span. Its all about intelligent planning. What I see going on here is sloppy time management, if indeed the grand plan is to stage more events per year.

There's no good reason that CO recruitment for BoB could have not taken place long ago. If that had happened, the BoB schedule could have been announced immediately after Japan finished, and registration begun then. We thus could have had teams formed already for the most part, and been able to have time for those teams to develop detailed plans, practice them, and in general prepared much more thoroughly for a late September event.

Instead, even though it apparently has been the plan all along to stage an event at this time, what should be a careful process is being rushed. I see no good reason that preparation could not have begun sooner, while other events were running. When we ran multiple events at Air Warrior, we did so by having more than one event in the pipeline at one time.

The example you provide of year 1998 illustrates my point. I don't recall any of those events having less than four weeks between registration and first frame. There's simply no need to deprive teams of sufficient opportunity to become organized in order to have several events in a year.

culero
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
scenario planning
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2006, 08:52:36 PM »
Originally posted by ROC
Culero, you are missing the entire point of the event to begin with.

There is Nothing Scheduled until Pearl Harbor.  This was an off the shelf event so that people had something to play in the meantime. Simple, uncomplicated, not a steep learning curve or brand new map to figure out.  Those that want to, will, those that don't wont.

Nothing is being forced or pushed.  There were 2 options, run in this time slot as an infill event or run nothing until Pearl.  I've got guys that Want to run scenarios, and people that Want to join them, some say a month is enough, others say it's not enough.  Going to run it for those who want it, it's what we do, nothing forced, nothing mandated.

I'm missing the point? LOL! Did you fail to learn anything from the disaster you ran with this last event? Was it not apparent that there was far too little time spent in preparation?

This has nothing to do with event design. Its about team formation and organization. Yes, a "canned" event needs less time from the developer's end, but teams still need time to form internally and get it together. Its why professional sports have a preseason each year, even though the design of the games is already a known factor.

I'm really beginning to wonder if you are in fact competent to perform the job you've set out to do. So far, you're not showing me much.

culero
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
scenario planning
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2006, 09:03:43 PM »
Did you fail to learn anything from the disaster you ran with this last event? Was it not apparent that there was far too little time spent in preparation?

Knock it off culero.  This coming from you who balked when I wanted pearl worked on earlier than YOU wanted.

You know as well as I do that "preperation" lapses may have occured on several fronts, get over yourself please.

I'm not going to argue with you over this, I've said this already, this event is for those who Want to participate, clearly you don't.  If You have an issue with the schedule feel free to avoid the event.  I, and this team, are putting an event together for those who Want it.  I fail to see how this could possibly be an issue with you.  What, is it just that it's not Your way?  Tell you what, contact HT and tell them your thoughts on my incompetance, at their request I'll gladly remove myself from the team.

Clearly this event doesn't interest you due to the time line.  Great, I get it, move on.  Those that Are interested might want to invest their time putting it together, I know I do.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
scenario planning
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2006, 09:10:04 PM »
I'll knock it off when I please. Last time I checked this is an open forum.

You're wrong that I'm not interested in the event. I'm interested enough to point out what are glaring faults in its management because I'd like to see a quality event for all involved.

As to Pearl, its you who balked, not I.

culero

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
scenario planning
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2006, 09:38:29 PM »
If the scenario planners can't talk civil to one another, the whole process is doomed.

Cut the crap guys, we are all after the same thing; strong player turn out at scenarios and good fun had by all.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
scenario planning
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2006, 10:00:26 PM »
Point of order, Del - I'm not a "scenario planner". I'm merely a player trying to give some useful input.

culero

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
scenario planning
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2006, 10:04:45 PM »
Originally posted by culero
Point of order, Del - I'm not a "scenario planner". I'm merely a player trying to give some useful input.

culero

were ????  All i see is negative here  :(  

(positive/suggestive input gets more accomplished then  negative)
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
scenario planning
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2006, 10:54:26 PM »
lol let it go Roo, let it go :D
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline doobs

• Silver Member
scenario planning
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2006, 11:22:54 PM »
OK time out, go afk, have a drink or thirty, relax spark up, sit in a comfy chair with a nice view and a cool breeze and take your mind off things.

And realize that the cure for all your worries lies here......................... ............................. ...

R.I.P JG44
(founding XO)

68KO always remembered

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
scenario planning
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2006, 01:23:39 AM »
Originally posted by culero
There's no good reason that CO recruitment for BoB could have not taken place long ago. If that had happened, the BoB schedule could have been announced immediately after Japan finished, and registration begun then.

Operation Downfall was to have frame 4 on Aug. 19th.  CO recruitment for BoB 2006 began on Aug. 18th.  The reason I didn't recommend registration opening at that same time is in case we didn't get two CO's and had to cancel.  Upon getting two CO's, the plan is to open registration.

We thus could have had teams formed already for the most part, and been able to have time for those teams to develop detailed plans, practice them, and in general prepared much more thoroughly for a late September event.

I think that there is plenty of time to formulate plans.  There isn't need for extensive practice because this scenario doesn't have elements that are unfamiliar to players.  Still, there is time for practice -- just not time for a month of practice.

When we ran multiple events at Air Warrior, we did so by having more than one event in the pipeline at one time.

Things were overlapped here, too -- just not as much as you think is best.  The main point is that you think there should be more time between CO's, registration, and frame 1.  I respect that opinion and wholeheartedly believe in lots of time for new scenarios, but I feel that our current schedule will work fine for this one.

The example you provide of year 1998 illustrates my point. I don't recall any of those events having less than four weeks between registration and first frame.  [/B]

I looked through my old e-mails and archived GEnie topics to see if I could estimate what they were.  They seem to have varied quite a bit.  Here are estimated times between registration and frame 1.

Saga of the 5th Air Force:  3 weeks
Battle of Germany 2:  2-3 weeks
Kursk 3:  1 month
Munda Weekend:  3 weeks
Kursk 4:  more than 1 month
Afrika, '42:  4 weeks
Guadalcanal:  can't tell
Target Germany:  can't tell
Fortress Rabaul v2:  2 weeks

At any rate, I note your feeling that there should be more time alotted, and I understand that you make this point because you want scenarios to work well, as do I.  My feeling is that in special circumstances (such as for already run scenario designs with elements that are familiar to pilots), a faster schedule will be acceptable.  If I'm wrong, I'll learn from that, and you can say, "I told you so."  If it works, then that is useful information as well.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 01:28:56 AM by Brooke »

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
scenario planning
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2006, 08:51:55 AM »
Originally posted by Brooke
snip
At any rate, I note your feeling that there should be more time alotted, and I understand that you make this point because you want scenarios to work well, as do I.  My feeling is that in special circumstances (such as for already run scenario designs with elements that are familiar to pilots), a faster schedule will be acceptable.  If I'm wrong, I'll learn from that, and you can say, "I told you so."  If it works, then that is useful information as well.

No, I won't gloat in that case. As you said, this is offered as helpful input. I actually hope for the best, just as you do.

~S~

culero

Offline Valkyrie

• Copper Member
scenario planning
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2006, 09:39:34 AM »
Rules for bob are straight down the middle. And guess where they are Axis as going frame 1-4 the rules dictate the exact strat. Its hey didledil the axis are going down the middle. Its a striaght foward set of 4 bombing runs only question is how good raf fighter controllers are.

Valkyrie

Offline Newman

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
scenario planning
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2006, 01:37:07 AM »
I remember the first time BoB was run in AH.. I think '02.. I posted on the BB after the first frame flaming the whole thing! I was P.O.'d that my plane was shot down by tail guns in a Ju88.

As a walk-on, I ended up being a defacto GL for RAF 610 in frame 4 when Greyarea was shot down, and we did what we could.

Scenarios offer the chance for ANY pilot to step up and prove they have the meddle to actually fly as a group and take, or give orders.

THAT, is what Scenarios are about!

I'm looking forward to BoB in a big way :) The Scenario Team is going to make it happen for the AH community!

That's our job :aok

SALUTE!

Newman
327th Steel Talons TFS CO (ret)
CM Scenario Team (ret)

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
scenario planning
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2006, 11:45:52 AM »
Culero has obviously never worked in software develoment :D

Saw (dev-born to be late)