Author Topic: Man Forced to remove Arabic t-shirt  (Read 1821 times)

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
Man Forced to remove Arabic t-shirt
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2006, 12:23:26 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman
Please point to the part in the article that states this.

After a difficult exchange with airline staff, Mr Jarrar was persuaded to wear another T-shirt bought for him at the airport shop.

JetBlue said it was also investigating the incident but a spokeswoman said: "We're not clear exactly what happened."

Doesn't seem like an unreasonable assumption. The only thing not clear is who the two gentleman that approached him with the initial complaint worked for.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2006, 12:23:55 PM »
What a surprise... The 1st Amendment doesn't apply at airports or airplanes.

Hell... the 4th doesn't apply either.

Own your own airline some day and you can allow all the Jihadis wearing the latest jihadi gear you want on board.

I'm sure if I tried to board a plane in UAE that said "EAT PORK OR DIE SISSYS" they'd have reservations about me as well.  

Try wearing a KKK outfit into a black owned business.  

This is freedom at it's best.  The airline is free to choose to serve the man and the man is free to choose if he wants to remove his shirt.

Also I'm with bronk on this one....how come you didn't mention the 2nd amendment while flying?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 12:39:01 PM by Gunslinger »

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2006, 12:28:22 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger

Also I'm with goon on this one....how come you didn't mention the 2nd amendment while flying?

WTH GOON  :furious :furious :furious

Ok i might be... just a little .:D

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2006, 12:29:02 PM »
None of which invalidates my statement.
sand

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2006, 12:35:51 PM »
Call someone a macaca and watch what happens. Tell Strom Thurmond he shoulda been president and watch what happens. Share your religious convictions in a public forum and watch what happens.

I agree, PC has replaced freedom of speech in the US.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2006, 12:35:56 PM »
Thanks Indy.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2006, 12:39:58 PM »
None of which invalidates my statement.

I only see your point if you are speaking in sarcasim.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2006, 01:43:00 PM »
go to the middle east wearing a t-shirt with a picture of muhammad on it, see what happens.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 01:45:13 PM by john9001 »

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2006, 01:48:15 PM »
Let's use barbaric fundamentalist islamic ****holes as our standard for tolerance.  :aok

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2006, 02:06:09 PM »
I have no sympathy.

~AoM~

Offline wooley

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2006, 02:07:37 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Exactly.

And why didn't this get wooley's attention 3 days ago?

So much for freedom of speech in England! :rofl

That was about a woman being refused on a plane for (alegedly) acting in a threatening manner to staff and - at best - trying to impose her religious beliefs on another. In this case, if the airline's story is correct, they acted entierly correctly. At JFK, the guy was minding his own business and did nothing that could be interpreted as threatening (from what we know).

But don't get me wrong,  I'm under no illusions that personal freedoms are being curtailed in the UK every bit as much here. Hence the reason I said "...in the west" and not "in the USA...", in my original post.

And I'm Scottish, not English by the way.

Here's the thing - does anyone think the guy would have been hassled by staff had his t-shirt merely had arabic on it? Possibly, but I doubt it given by their own admission they had no idea what it meant. Also, would there have been an issue if it merely said "We will not be silent" in English?. Again, possibly (given his ethnic origin) but I still doubt it. Certainly I would not expect a white person to have any trouble wearing such a t-shirt (most people would not immediately associate the slogan with Middle-East related politics). It was the combination of English and Arabic and the guy's skin color which caused the problem. Wrap that up any way you like, but to me it says 'racism'.

My own view is the guy was a fool to wear the t-shirt in the current climate, but that doesn't change the fact his personal rights were tramplled all over here.  I also respect the airline's right to refuse service, but to say they were going to loose money is nonsense - no one refusing to get on a plane because someone was wearing a t-shirt they didn't like would get a refund. However as others have pointed out - their plane, their choice.

For me, the security (or airline) staff took the wrong person aside. The people needing to be talked to were the people complaining. A swift re-education on rights and freedoms would not have been out of place.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2006, 02:15:31 PM »
There was someone a few months ago who was denied boarding because they had a shirt which said "F*** BUSH" or some closely related saying.

A passenger having a potentially offensive shirt, or a shirt which raises concern of other passengers on a flight should be a concern of the crew, as it potentially effects the safety of the flight.

A fight between passengers can endanger the flight.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline wooley

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2006, 02:15:46 PM »
Originally posted by john9001
go to the middle east wearing a t-shirt with a picture of muhammad on it, see what happens.

Invalid arguement - remember the whole premise of why we consider our society better than theirs - and one of the major justifcations for 5 years of interventionist foreign policy - is we can wear t-shirts with pictures of Mohammed on them if we want to.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 02:22:58 PM by wooley »

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2006, 02:31:38 PM »
Originally posted by Holden McGroin
There was someone a few months ago who was denied boarding because they had a shirt which said "F*** BUSH" or some closely related saying.

A passenger having a potentially offensive shirt, or a shirt which raises concern of other passengers on a flight should be a concern of the crew, as it potentially effects the safety of the flight.

A fight between passengers can endanger the flight.

Holden, are you trying to bring common sense into an argument on the O'Club? I didn't think that was allowed.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2006, 02:32:16 PM »
Originally posted by wooley
A swift re-education on rights and freedoms would not have been out of place.

Start with yourself.

The guy had the freedom of expression to wear the tee-shirt.

The airline had the right to deny his access to thier aircraft.

Your the one who thinks only one side had rights or freedoms in this case. You have not given one side the same consideraton you gave the other. In fact you refered to the side you dissagree with as racist for practicing their rights. It's the companies right, not yours ,  to determine whats good , bad , safe or un-safe, for their business. They get to make that decision. Just like the guy that decided to wear the tee-shirt  had every right to make his decision.

Nobody had their freedoms or rights violated. The system worked. You seem to be the one who wants to one side to steamroll over the other. So question your own understanding of freedoms and rights , before you make knee jerk accusations against America.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV