Author Topic: Man Forced to remove Arabic t-shirt  (Read 1825 times)

Offline Excel1

• Nickel Member
Man Forced to remove Arabic t-shirt
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2006, 02:47:01 AM »
Originally posted by Saintaw
Brrr the HORROR!!!! dangerous writing on a shirt CAN BE HARMFULL!!!!

Yep it's stupid

When I was 16 I got banned from a pub for wearing a t-shirt with a picture of the Confederate flag and the writing 'the south will rise again' on it.

That happened back in the 70's..almost pre PC days. The shirt had no meaning to me; nz never even had a confederacy. But for some reason the management of a pub in backwater nz got all anal over it. It was just a cool looking t-shirt that my brother gave me.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2006, 02:57:20 AM »
Wrong audience to pimp that shirt to..
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Excel1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2006, 03:52:08 AM »
I't was a country pub full of mostly farmers. As long as you didn't look gay they didn't give a stuff what anyone wore. It was the publican who threw a wobbly. I was under age, so I wasn't in a good position to argue with the bugger either.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2006, 05:47:02 AM »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2006, 07:34:25 AM »
Why no outrage when hari krishnas were banned from airports?

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2006, 08:38:05 AM »
Originally posted by Mini D
Why no outrage when hari krishnas were banned from airports?

Granted I'm only 26, but... I've only ever seen hari krishnas at airports in the movies.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2006, 08:59:13 AM »
Brrr the HORROR!!!! dangerous writing on a shirt CAN BE HARMFULL!!!

What a bunch of twits ye all are...

It is not the writing that is dangerous, it is people's reaction to it, whether or not the reaction is ignorant is not the point.  

If it were the judgement of the airline that some "thing" may be a concern to the safety of the flight, then it is their duty to take action and reduce that concern, PC or not.

If I were to wear a t shirt that said something completely innocent but could be mistaken by some as threatening, I would expect the flight crew to ask me to change to a more neutral shirt.  It is easier to ask to change the shirt than to educate 200 passengers that it really is of no concern.  As a T shirt wearer, I should be understanding and not indignant.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 09:02:02 AM by Holden McGroin »
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2006, 09:15:15 AM »
Please tell me how exactly some "writing on a t-shirt" can be dangerous / concern to the safety of the flight?

I'm eager to hear that one out.

Meanwhile, I'll keep on wearing my "iron my shirt b**ch!" T-shirt and offend a lot of petty people, thank you very much.
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2006, 09:26:06 AM »
Boarded a jet blue flight a few years back at laguardia, to go to ft lauderdale for the air show.
My friend was wearing a camo baseball hat that he wrote the words "F--- Liberals!!"  on with black magic marker. The "F" word was spelled out. A bunch of the passengers came up to him and asked where they could get one, or said great hat.  
But one or two others complained to the stewardess and they asked him to take it off.  
What's funny is that the people asking where he got it, were fathers, with there wife and kids standing next to them, old retired guys, and a couple of women.
"The lord loves a hangin', that's why he gave us necks." - Ren & Stimpy

Ingame- Ozone

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2006, 09:39:41 AM »

No argument from me. When we stand by while the rights of a few are denied it's only a  matter of time before we all lose. Political Correctness has been weakening the foundation of our First Amendment for decades.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2006, 11:10:09 AM »
Please tell me how exactly some "writing on a t-shirt" can be dangerous / concern to the safety of the flight?

Originally posted by Holden McGroin
It is not the writing that is dangerous, it is people's reaction to it, whether or not the reaction is ignorant is not the point.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2006, 12:52:28 PM »

EXACTLY!!!

Poeple packed in like sardines locked inside an aluminum tin can going 500+ MPH at 30,000 ft + should be able to do what ever the heck they want.

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2006, 01:15:39 PM »
Hello Saw,

I see...

So

as long as she remembers to leave the gun at home, you'd have no problem with her boarding the airplane as is?

And shouting fire in the movie theatre is protected speech as well, along with hanging out in front of the school dressed in a Jason "Friday the 13th" outfit complete with Hockey Mask?

Personally, I have enough problems dealing with other passengers who are on the verge of panicking just because they are afraid of flying. Having someone on board dressed in "Jihadi vogue" would be the straw the broke the camel's back for many.

And frankly, I think it makes about as much sense from an ideological standpoint as allowing men in brown shirts with swastika arm bands to ride buses in the USA during the Second World War would have. Either we get serious about being at war with militant Islam or we should begin negotiating the terms of our dhimmitude. After all, I understand that Burkas now come in a variety of flattering colors - and just think of the advantages, never again will we have to hear "Does this make me look fat?"

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2006, 01:40:30 PM »
so if someone wears a t-shirt with a slogan i don't agree with i can exercise my 1st amendment rights to political self expression by punching them in the stomach?

i put slogan t-shirts in the same class as bumper stickers. no class.

Offline ASTAC

• Silver Member
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2006, 02:00:21 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman
What a surprise... The 1st Amendment doesn't apply at airports or airplanes.

Hell... the 4th doesn't apply either.

Last I heard Aircraft are private property.
That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety